Thoughts on a SIG P226?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a SIG P226? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot one a while back and it was really a sweet ride. Great ergonomics. Very well placed CG. Moderate recoil. Great factory trigger. All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on a SIG P226?

Thoughts on a SIG P226?

I shot one a while back and it was really a sweet ride. Great ergonomics. Very well placed CG. Moderate recoil. Great factory trigger. All in all a rather pleasant shooter.

I was thinking of starting to search for one and thought I would post here and see what yall thought of the pistol. Reliability. Service life. You know the drill. Is it a good model for the buck?

Also what are yalls thoughts on the variants like Tac Pac, Combat, etc. Lookin at it as a possible CCW but initially it will be a range shooter and HD pistol. I am guessing 9mm better than .40 as well?

2. Remove Ads

It's an awesome, awesome gun. One of the best combat handguns ever, in my not-so-humble opinion.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Shoot what is comfortable.....I have a P226/.40 and had one in 9mm. Both were pretty awesome. Find a round you like, and shoot it. Don't waste your time on 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debates.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son gave me a P226 MK25 9mm and it's a great shooter, no issues whatsoever. Big for CC but would be a nice duty/OC/HD firearm. I like SIGs but the price is steeper than "El Cheapo" is willing to fork over.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    I shot one a while back and it was really a sweet ride. Great ergonomics. Very well placed CG. Moderate recoil. Great factory trigger. All in all a rather pleasant shooter.

I was thinking of starting to search for one and thought I would post here and see what yall thought of the pistol. Reliability. Service life. You know the drill. Is it a good model for the buck?

Also what are yalls thoughts on the variants like Tac Pac, Combat, etc. Lookin at it as a possible CCW but initially it will be a range shooter and HD pistol. I am guessing 9mm better than .40 as well?
    actually my favorite Sig Sauer. I carried a P226 with Trijicon night sights for work, back in 1993. I loved it. I would suggest you go for the "SAS" model, which is beveled, radiused, and smoothed out to be snag-free for concealed carry. Anyway, fantastic gun.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The 226 works for me. The 239 works for. If I was looking for a dual purpose, year around carry and range gun I would check out the 239 SAS.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Don't have much direct experience with the P226, but I can offer a few 'data points':

1) I've had two Sig's (P232 & C3), and they're two of my all-time favorite guns.
    2) My B-I-L has a P226, and it's FINE!
    3) The P226 was designed to replace the 1911 for the U.S. military. It passed the trials and by some accounts actually beat out the Beretta 92. The Beretta won on the basis of total cost (gun + mags + accessories).

It's a pretty big gun for CC, but if I was in the market for a pistol in that niche, I wouldn't hesitate.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    I don't have any experience with a 226 yet, but from everything I've read they are uber reliable, amazingly sweet shooting pistols and one of the sigs that sig snobs rave about . . . .

my thoughts? I will have to get one. It's about 2nd or 3rd on my wish list.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The P226 is an excellent pistol and if you get one you won't regret it, since you already know you enjoy shooting it. I have a P229, which is close to the same thing but smaller. Amazing gun. I have about 2,600 rounds through it and it hasn't choked yet.

I already got one... It'sa very nice...

OPFOR likes this.

My experience with the P series is as good as anyone elses here. If they are exactly what you want, you won't be disappointed.

The things to keep in mind, when comparing them to newer style guns is that you have a lot more metal on metal contact, and this means that lubrication is very important for reliability, more so than with say, a glock. You also have a heavy and long first pull which makes the transition to SA a bit tricky, requiring a bit more practice to stay accurate at, but this isn't too big of a deal, and depending on your preferences this may be exactly what you want.

Good model for the buck? In terms of an effective carry gun, the truth is that polymer is probably a better deal which is also easier to use and maintain. But if you want one, there is no substitute, and they are well worth the money.

I have a Sig P226 in 9mm and it makes a great range gun. It has never malfunctioned; however, I personally find it too large for concealed carry. The stock is quite large making the trigger reach (especially on the first double action trigger pull) difficult to reach for people with medium to small hands. For concealed carry I much prefer the P239 single stack in 9mm, 40sw or 357sig or you may look at the P229 which is a shortened P226. All and all, Sig makes great, reliable, and accurate firearms. They're built like tanks and mine (all of my 4 sigs) have all been 100% reliable.

I am really torn between the P226, P229 and P239 (pretty much the same in smaller sizes respectively). It will probably be my first used gun purchase since they are awfully expensive NIB.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    I am really torn between the P226, P229 and P239 (pretty much the same in smaller sizes respectively). It will probably be my first used gun purchase since they are awfully expensive NIB.
    The newer 224 is the SC version in the 226/229 family (239 is a singlestack). If I could only have one of that group, I'd probably go 229, which I don't have... yet. Nice size for carrying, big enough for the nightstand, good capacity, and takes the full-sized 229 mags (including the TACOPS ones - 20rds 9mm or 15rds .40/.357 Sig).

The Sig 226 would be an awesome range gun and a formidable home defense gun. But I personally wouldn't use one for CCW. Take this as just one guy's opinion, and one that's biased by 20+ years of SA autos carried cocked and locked. To me the transition from the pretty heavy DA first shot to the light, short reset SA is tough to deal with. I suppose if you train that way, decocking between rounds to get used to the transition, it's probably fine. Personally I like either pure SA or pure DA, but that's just me. I know it doesn't seem to bother the SEALs, but they get to burn a lot more ammo in training than me!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links