Bullet setback, how far is too far?

This is a discussion on Bullet setback, how far is too far? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been watching this when I re chamber rounds. I haven't seen it happen to my .40 S&W but on a 9mm the other day ...

Thread: Bullet setback, how far is too far?

I've been watching this when I re chamber rounds. I haven't seen it happen to my .40 S&W but on a 9mm the other day I measured a round and it was shorter than the others. Most measured 1.115 - 1.120 tall but that one measured 1.105. I put it in the magazine deeper and moved a new round to the top. Can a bullet be pulled and reseated to the correct height? Shoot it and forget it? Should it be removed?

What's acceptable?

Just removed them all and measure them, there are two here that measure 1.105. One had been chambered several times but the other had not been chambered once. I'm assuming they came this way?

re-chambering a carry round

When I saw your post this one came to mind. Figured I'd put it up for you to read.

Thanks, the Lucky Gunner article was a good read.

You can tell when it is set back too far by the stinging in your hand from the gun failing due to over pressure. There is no definitive answer to your question. Round A could be over pressure and round B could fine. The only way to tell is to experiment and find out. You could use an inertia puller and possibly get the bullet in spec or salvage the components.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Even with crazy ammo prices SD ammo is maybe $1.50 a round. Throw it out dude. Not worth possibly blowing up your gun.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    An interesting read on the results of intentional setback.

Battered Bullets: Does bullet setback matter? | The Daily Caller
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I assume this is factory ammo. If so I would err on the side of caution and not shoot them. For reloads, I would possibly offer different advice, depending on the load.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Most SD ammo has a cannelure around the bullet that is right at the casing mouth, making it very easy to tell if the bullet is set back at all. Just take a quick glance at this line and make sure that it's still even and visible. I go shooting and load/unload my SD ammo far to often to toss out any bullet that has already been chambered once. Just be observant, if you notice a bullet that is obviously shorter, toss it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    An interesting read on the results of intentional setback.

Battered Bullets: Does bullet setback matter? | The Daily Caller
    Doesn't sound like a scientific experiment. He did not test but one brand of bullet and only one caliber. I would not use this test as reason to disregard bullet setback. And his test to check for over pressure was lack of damage to the firearm. I don't think "the gun didn't blow up" is an acceptable test for over pressure by anyones standard.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Doesn't sound like a scientific experiment. He did not test but one brand of bullet and only one caliber. I would not use this test as reason to disregard bullet setback. And his test to check for over pressure was lack of damage to the firearm. I don't think "the gun didn't blow up" is an acceptable test for over pressure by anyones standard.
    How about, "despite intentionally induced setback far in excess of anything a pistol would do there was absolutely no discernible negative effect"?

Distinguished Member
    THIS is too far...

45ACP 185gr +p Golden Sabre

That was on the round's first chambering. It didn't sound right, so I cleared it and that's what I found. Must have just been an out-of-spec casing or bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    How about, "despite intentionally induced setback far in excess of anything a pistol would do there was absolutely no discernible negative effect"?
    Sure, in THAT firearm, with THAT round. But who can say what an increase in chamber pressure would do with a +p or +p+ round, or with a flaw in the barrel's metallurgy that would otherwise be negligible?

Thanks, but no thanks.

If you look in a reloading manual it will give you a minimum length. Every gun is different so it may be able to shoot a shorter than listed round, but I've never tried. I've always stuck to what's in my manuals. If it's shorter than what's listed then I say throw it out.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

I haven't seen very much if any set back on either my LC9 or M&P 9c. I check them every once in awhile just haven't seen a problem. I should add that I don't often re chamber a round. I have seen a bit of an issue with my TCP 380 but I don't use that one very much at the range so don't re-chamber very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    THIS is too far...

45ACP 185gr +p Golden Sabre

That was on the round's first chambering. It didn't sound right, so I cleared it and that's what I found. Must have just been an out-of-spec casing or bullet.

Sure, in THAT firearm, with THAT round. But who can say what an increase in chamber pressure would do with a +p or +p+ round, or with a flaw in the barrel's metallurgy that would otherwise be negligible?

Thanks, but no thanks.
    And the difference between that and a 45 gap would be? A 45 is a very low pressure cartridge I don’t see it doing any thing. But toss it if you feel uneasy. If it did that on the firs chambering something is wrong.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Sponsored Links