Smith & Wesson 686 plus: exploded cylinder?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 686 plus: exploded cylinder? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I may be overly cautious or paranoid, but I have a question. Have you ever heard of anyone's Smith & Wesson 686 plus exploding or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson 686 plus: exploded cylinder?

I may be overly cautious or paranoid, but I have a question.

Have you ever heard of anyone's Smith & Wesson 686 plus exploding or any other malfunction like that specific to the 7-shot "plus" model from repeated firing of .357 magnum loads? I have seen pictures of other revolvers with exploded cylinders but they're usually enormous guns that are at minimum a .44 magnum like .454 Casull or .500 S&W, but what about .357 magnum?

I know they say the 686 is built for continuous magnum usage, but the walls between the rounds of the 7-shot cylinder look a little thinner than the 6-shot and I was wondering if any of you know of any difference between the two besides the extra shot. I am thinking of purchasing one of the two but I need to decide between 6 or 7 shots.

If the new breed of crunchinticker revolvers based on the 5 shot j frame and plastic can handle the 357 mag, you have nothing to worry about.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If the new breed of crunchinticker revolvers based on the 5 shot j frame and plastic can handle the 357 mag, you have nothing to worry about.
    This is where I was leaning as well. I think many of those that did explode were wild handloads. Even if not I doubt factory ammo would cause a catastrophic failure without the owner seeing some warning signs beforehand.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I have a a 686-5, 7 shot cylinder. I've fired plenty of .357 through it, no problems. Both the gun and I are still intact.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I will go with "no more likely than their eight shot 686". My neighbor runs my fairly hot 357 rounds through his gun all the time.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'd get the 6 shot in a Ruger GP100!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Any gun can be destroyed by shooting rounds that are over-pressure enough. I had a 686-3 6 shot model, and I would have trusted it to contain any factory loaded round or even any +P round out there. When you start messing with +P+, however, all recommendations go out the window, since some guys idea of a +P+ round might well be a double or triple charge of W296, and then LOOK OUT.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    You are fine to shoot the 686+ with full house mags. Have at it. Only KABOOMS I have read about are due to loading oopsies.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

The thickness of the walls btwn cylinders is also determined by the even distribution of the chambers, not just the minimum required to withstand the pressure generated - I wouldn't worry about the thickness and trust the engineers. Those 7 shot reblobbers have been out for a while.

I watched the Gun Nuts on tv attempt to blow up a S&W mod 19, With one bullet stuck in the barrel, when the fired a factory load nothing happened other than a bulged barrel. As noted in other posts kabooms are generally caused mistakes. S&W makes good guns.

I had a 686 8 3/8" Barrel Combat with a full lug. Had some "hot" reloads from a LG that flowered tje cylinder, bent the top strap, blew out the firing pin and the rear sights.

S&W could only save the barrel after sending it back. This was a 6 shot so I would always assume any gun with the wrong loads can be a dangerous combo.

Prior to that incident I had more than 5k rounds down the pipe.

I thought it would probably be ok, but I'm a poor student and 686s are pricey! I appreciate the feedback. The hot handloads seem to be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    "crunchinticker".....sounds German, or is that an old Kentuckey saying for cheapo, plasic junk?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    The 686+ cylinder appears to be thicker along the outside walls than the magnum j-frame cylinder - see the attached photo. The little j's have been blowing up either. I don't have calipers, but the from my eyeball the inner walls are about the same thickness, perhaps a smidge more for the J-frame, but the outer walls are thicker on the 686+.

Attached Images
    Bad Bob likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

If you only shoot factory loads, no worries, no matter how many rounds down the pipe. Hand loads are another matter especially if someone else loaded it. The only minor caution is if you ever get a squib round where the bullet never leaves the barrel. That could be a problem. I have had one in well over 50,000 pistol factory rounds I have fired. It was obvious when it happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links