Stolen cell phone leads police to suspect in shopper's slaying

This is a discussion on Stolen cell phone leads police to suspect in shopper's slaying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The victim gave this guy everything he asked for and he still shot her. There's a 50/50 chance the BG will run after they rob ...

The victim gave this guy everything he asked for and he still shot her. There's a 50/50 chance the BG will run after they rob you or shoot you. I would rather take the chance in drawing and getting the first shots off.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5668446

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Hours after Elisabeth Kelly Reilly was shot outside a Virginia Beach shopping center, her cell phone helped police track down a suspect in her killing.

The global-positioning feature on the phone led detectives to an address in nearby Norfolk. Behind the home there, authorities found the phone, Reilly's purse and a blood-stained hooded sweatshirt, according to a search warrant affidavit filed in court.

A woman in the home told investigators she had loaned her car to her boyfriend, Christopher Eugene Hagans. Police found the car, with blood on the driver's side door, parked on a street a few miles away, according to the affidavit.

Hagans was arrested as he approached the car shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday.

Hagans, 19, of Norfolk, was being held at Virginia Beach Correctional Center without bail on charges of first-degree murder and robbery. A bond hearing was set for Nov. 27 and a preliminary hearing for Jan. 4.

Hagans could be charged with capital murder, punishable by death, because Reilly was killed during a robbery. Commonwealth's Attorney Harvey Bryant said no decision on the charge had been made.

On Monday, shoppers were wary about their safety after hearing about the second act of violence at Virginia Beach shopping centers in a month.

"You don't think something's going to happen when you go shopping in the middle of the day," Kari Mellenkamp said at Pembroke Mall, where a woman was abducted Oct. 14.

Police were looking into whether Hagans also was involved in that crime, in which a woman was forced into her car and physically assaulted. The suspect stole her purse and drove her to an unknown area in Norfolk, where she was allowed to leave.

Reilly, 25, had just finished shopping at Hilltop North Shopping Center and was walking to her car at 6:30 p.m. Saturday when a gunman robbed and shot her, Virginia Beach police spokeswoman Rene Ball said.

Witnesses told police the man shot Reilly in the back before driving off in a white car. She died later at a hospital.

Reilly was married in July and had planned to go on vacation with her husband this week.

Hagans has had several nonviolent brushes with the law. He was out on bail with cases pending in three courts at the time of Reilly's shooting.

Assistant Administrator
    And people still insist - ''do as the nice BG asks"

Sorry folks - the message is clear - have a means of protection.

Very sad case but here is a good example of technology getting the better of a crook. I hope he fries.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    And to think i hack my cell to disable the gps feature lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

We had a recent home invasion here in the twin cities where the homeowner fought off the invader(s). There might have been two, I can't remember. The police of course warned against protecting yourself even though it worked in this instance. We all know only the police are capable of protecting us. Unfortunately they weren't there when needed. How unusual!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

ALWAYS Call The Police First...

thing after taking matters into your own hands...
    "I'd like to report an attempted robbery! I feared for my life... The body is located... Please hurry..."

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    And to think i hack my cell to disable the gps feature lol .
    I always make sure my families are on just in case (kidnapping etc.)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I just finished reading a news story where a person was shot by his robber after he refused to hand over money while he was waiting in line to get a new Playstation 3.

Whether you comply or not, you still have the chance of getting shot. If I'm going to get shot at, I'm going to get shot at fighting back.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links