I got kicked out of a LGS... and I am proud of it.

This is a discussion on I got kicked out of a LGS... and I am proud of it. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Warning this may be a long story, but I have to share. So on my way home from work traffic was terrible so I stopped ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: I got kicked out of a LGS... and I am proud of it.

Warning this may be a long story, but I have to share.

So on my way home from work traffic was terrible so I stopped of at a local LGS that I do not usually find myself near. I figured I would meander and maybe pick up something small if I found something. I perused the holsters, then the knives, and found my way to handgun counter. The first thing i noticed was their gun prices were all over the place ..... 500 bucks for a used 9mm shield was eh, but 419 for a bersa thunder .380.... i dont think so. Their glocks were overpriced even more...so as I am standing their, a mid twenties kid comes to the counter get a glock they were holding for him.

Now Im not one to eavesdrop, but i listened in out of boredom. Apparently someone tried to break into the guys GF's apt and now he was impulse buying out of fear with no homework or knowledge based on the questiuons he was asking. He was picking up a used G19 gen 3... a great gun for sure, but not 600 dollars plus great !!!!! The salemen then tried to talk him into an HK of some kind at 1k, and the kid was not into it. So back to the glock......
    the kid needs some defensive ammo so the guy pulls out a bunch of overpriced critical duty... now say what you want, but it is proven the critical duty does not perform well out of short barrels, as it was designed for 4 inch or longer...... oh yeah.... they wanted 40 bucks a box.... the other "cheaper and not good stuff" according to the salesmen was some Hornady xtp fodder..... not good? oh ...it was 32 bucks a box for 20... ??????

So at this point I interrupted before they took this poor kid through the cleaners ands into the frying pan and politely informed him they were ripping him off with a way over priced gun and rediculous ammo prices. The salesmen was fit to be tied I must say. Needless to say i continued to point out the flaws in other points of the guys "sales" speach...... glocks are unreliable? they jam...etc.... trying to push him into a gun he couldnt afford. So i said my piece in the face of such horrible crap and poor sales practices. Was I out of line? yep. Do I care? not in the least.... and I wouldnt hesitate to do so again. These are the sorry people that are making things more complicated than they need to be....... oh yeah I went in looking for 38 spcl ball they wanted 34 bucks for 50 rnds of american eagle ball..... since they took it out of a Midway USA box right in front of me I know they paid 20 bucks per 50 at the most.... I googled it.

So to wrap it up... they asked me to leave... and i gladly did. no one ever raised their voices or got hostile but I dont think they like me..... so scam artist and rip off chumos beware..... I am on the prowl

Ok im done venting...
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 17th, 2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: language workaround.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    That sounds like an ace hardware store near me.I pretty much mind my own business,but,had i been you,there is a 99.0% chance,i would have done the same thing.

Buyer beware.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Good deal glad you saved tge kid money I never had a jam in my glock and didn't pay 600 for it either some nevers guy at the counter was a jerk
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Nothing on their door says they have the right to screw somone. Being a more experienced shooter, they should have recognized that
    you were potentially a better long term customer than the kid they were hosing....but the almighty dollar in the hand today got the better of them.
    Their loss. I would have done the same thing you did..........and this is the same reason I never go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain anymore. I just couldn't listen to the drivel coming out of the mouths of the "gun experts" behind the counter. I never interrupted any of their sales pitches, but did pull a couple of customers aside and let them know the real story after the gurus were down with their volume of B.S.

I think there should be a category on this forum for members to rate their local gun stores. I used to buy from about four stores locally. I'm down to one.
    The other three will never see my business again even if they were giving away free guns and ammo.
    357and40 and kaikane0812 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I agree with what you did but I disagree with critical duty not being good out of a g19 tnoutdoors did a test with that ammo out of a g19 with good results.

Just got a shield today 420.00 out the door, unfortunately they were out of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Nothing on their door says they have the right to screw somone. Being a more experienced shooter, they should have recognized that
    you were potentially a better long term customer than the kid they were hosing....but the almighty dollar in the hand today got the better of them.
    Their loss. I would have done the same thing you did..........and this is the same reason I never go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain anymore. I just couldn't listen to the drivel coming out of the mouths of the "gun experts" behind the counter. I never interrupted any of their sales pitches, but did pull a couple of customers aside and let them know the real story after the gurus were down with their volume of B.S.

I think there should be a category on this forum for members to rate their local gun stores. I used to buy from about four stores locally. I'm down to one.
    The other three will never see my business again even if they were giving away free guns and ammo.
    the sad part is they had a shield that was calling my name, and I was listening very intently to its siren song....... as far as knowing if i would be a knowledgable customer, i dont think they cared.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Joedub View Post
    I agree with what you did but I disagree with critical duty not being good out of a g19 tnoutdoors did a test with that ammo out of a g19 with good results.
    I tried it in my both my SR40C and my G22..... it worked well in the G22 but I was unhappy with it in the SR40C..... and if you research it i am not the only who has had documented issues with the ctitical duty in shorter barrels. But if it works for you then there is nothing wrong with it.
    ~Daniel Webster

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    ..... since they took it out of a Midway USA box right in front of me I know they paid 20 bucks per 50 at the most.... I googled it.
    Yep, this is where the ammo is going. Stores and individuals with deep pockets snatch it all up in one gulp and double or triple the price to us that dont have deep pockets.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've listened to a lot of crappy sales pitches in gun shops before, but never have "corrected" them in their store. On a couple of occasions when someone was looking at a gun that I happen to have I have shared my personal opinion of said weapon based on my experience (good experiences). I can't blame you for helping the kid out, but I probably wouldn't say anything myself unless he had asked me my opinion.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

If I were the kid, I would've appreciated it. I think what you did was right. I work in retail and I'm sorry, I can't just sit there and straight lie to someone's face like that. Glocks jam often? Ha. Wow.

Senior Moderator
    I think it shows an incredible lack of respect.

What ever price the owner chooses to place on his gun is no concern of yours. If you don't like it, then don't buy it, its simple. Just turn around and walk out.

So at this point I interrupted before they took this poor kid through the cleaners ands into the frying pan and politely informed him they were ripping him off with a way over priced gun and rediculous ammo prices.
    Interrupted a conversation that you did not like that you admitted to eavesdropping on. Great.
    In your opinion it was overpriced. Not his, if he was willing to pay.

Was I out of line? yep. Do I care? not in the least.... and I wouldnt hesitate to do so again
    Who buys what in a store that you don't own should be no concern of yours.

So you admit that you were out of line, again, this shows an incredible lack of respect. How they sell their ammo should be no concern of yours. Where they bought their ammo should be no concern of yours.

but I dont think they like me..... so scam artist and rip off chumos beware..... I am on the prowl
    So you are basically a gun shop commando that knows better than everyone that works there. That's great. With "friends" like that, who needs enemy's?

Of course, this is just my two cents.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Good for you for speaking your mind. And helping the kid not get ripped off. So many people get ripped out without knowing because they don't do their research before buying.
    Fisher10 likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think it shows an incredible lack of respect.
    I think what the salesman was doing was disrespectful. Profiteering through unethical practices is disrespectful. It's like a mechanic trying to convince a soccer mom she needs an engine overhaul when she only needs a radiator flush and an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    So you are basically a gun shop commando that knows better than everyone that works there. That's great. With "friends" like that, who needs enemy's?
    Apparently he did know more than everyone that worked there. If someone who is knowledgeable shares his wisdom and helps me avoid being price raped like the OP did, I would gladly call him a friend. As a shooting community we need to help each other. Part of the reason ammo prices are so high are the clueless people buying $35/50 boxes of 9mm FMJ. They just don't know any better.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links