Interesting traffic stop today ...

This is a discussion on Interesting traffic stop today ... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On the way to work I passed two deputies, and sure enough they both swung around and came up behind on the cross street that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Interesting traffic stop today ...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

On the way to work I passed two deputies, and sure enough they both swung around and came up behind on the cross street that I had turned onto. On come the lights, so I pull over immediately, shut 'er down and start to gather my paperwork, keeping my hands up where they can be seen -- I keep my wallet out and top of the console when I'm driving so I can do this, and my registration and insurance card are tucked overhead for ready access.

I slide out my drivers license and my permit, as my HK was tucked under the console, and had not even handed them through the window to the cop when he asked, his first question: "Where is it?" I looked at him and gestured under the console and told him it was tucked in under there, so he opened the door and asked to step out and step to the rear of the truck and wait with the other deputy. He asked me if I knew why he stopped me, I replied no, and he asked if I knew why he asked me to step out of the vehicle; I said probably because of the weapon.

He pulled the gun out, asked if it was loaded, I responded there's a round in the chamber, so he set it down on the seat, closed the door, and walked back towards me and the other deputy. He told me to hang on, he was going to make a call.

He steps behind the cruiser and places a phone call, talking quietly, and then suddenly says, rather loudly, "it would have been nice to know that." Says bye, hangs up, and walks back to me and hands me my paperwork.

"Do you know why I stopped you?"
    "No sir, I don't"
    "We had a call on a dark Avalanche, and we're looking for one right now. But apparently the driver is black. You're not black are you?"
    "No sir, I'm not." [for the record, I'm Irish and as fair skinned as you can get and still look human]

"Have a nice day sir."
    "You too, deputy."

A little communciation might just go a long way. He was very nice and very professional, and his displeasure was aimed at dispatch not at me. So I went to work.
    darbo and sixgun like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Something is missing. Why would his first question be where is it? Something doesn't add up.
    Are you saying he saw your permit? Why wold you pull it out in the first place unless asked?
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Oh, it was the Avalanche! At least they didn't shoot you!

My guess would be that the driver of the black Avalanche they were really looking for, was known to be armed!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have to agree with you, in fact a few things didn't add up. Seemed like he was really looking for something, and really looking for a dark Avalanche that must have been involved in some activity.

Cops are very good at asking questions: asking me where it was may have been his attempt to get me to lead him to something without too much effort on his part. He could see my permit immediately, when I handed him the license, permit, insurance card and registration I purposely fanned them so he could see what he was getting. I just assumed he was asking about the gun when he asked me that question.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

im not buying what he is selling.... if they were looking for a black driver, why did they continue when they saw you were not?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Glad it was nothing. If he had asked me if I was black, I think I would have had to say, "Just half" just to see how he reacted.
    bigmacque and Taurahe like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's my point Taurahe .... no one told him the driver they were looking for was black. That's why he said, loudly, while on the phone: "it would have been nice to know that."

Wow...maybe the "Where is it?" question was in response to something the driver of the Avalanche in question had stolen.
    bigmacque likes this.

I thought about a smart-aleck response bugdude, but he looked heavily Hispanic and I just didn't want to go down that road.
    airslot likes this.

I got that question first last time I got pulled over too. Guess it came up on a plate run. I specifically did NOT add my name to my husband's registration because of that. At least I can drive his car incognito.
    The rest of my stop went well, the officer was actually pro-CC, it just started off a bit odd.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I thought about a smart-aleck response bugdude, but he looked heavily Hispanic and I just didn't want to go down that road.
    Well, it was a humorous question just begging for a humourous answer. Probably best just to say no.
    ItalianSteel and finst3r like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Seriously, if you're as white as a ghost and they're asking if you're black.... I just don't see why they would bother unless they're trying to joke with you.

I got up, walking to my car (black Camaro ) saw the license tag was gone.... someone had stolen it. Called the police, they came & took the report, told me to go ahead and drive to work and to go get a new tag..... and gave me a slip of paper (form) with their phone number stating stolen tag, etc.....

So, as I'm driving to work.... I hear on the radio, a man in a black Camaro & stolen tag (still wonder how they knew that at the time) had just robbed a bank, and gave a description of the guy.... which fit me to a "T" and if anyone saw it to call 911 and report it.
    OK..... well, now I'm sure I'm getting pulled over in route to work. But, to my surprise nothing..... so, when I got to work and walked in .... they immediately started laughing and saying ... "we know why you are late, had to stop at the bank first.. huh".

It didn't feel funny at the time.

Ironic, the guy got caught .... during the time frame I was driving to work, and not too far from the main road I took to get to work.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Um .... they didn't ask me if I was black. They called dispatch and were told they were supposed to be looking for a black man. Little different.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Um .... they didn't ask me if I was black. They called dispatch and were told they were supposed to be looking for a black man. Little different.
    That's not what your original post said.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links