Selling / Buying Via Armslist?

This is a discussion on Selling / Buying Via Armslist? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just recently learned about Armslist, guess I'm a bit behind the times. I'm considering selling the .40 ammo and the remaining M&P paraphernalia I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By noway2

Thread: Selling / Buying Via Armslist?

I just recently learned about Armslist, guess I'm a bit behind the times. I'm considering selling the .40 ammo and the remaining M&P paraphernalia I have if I'm unsuccessful doing so at a show tomorrow. Can anyone provide guidance/experience/instruction as to how (or how not) to conduct transactions on there? Obviously, in dealing with anything firearm related security is an issue, as are legal issues, I want ot be sure I go about things in the right and safe way if/when I do so. Thanks.

Armslist is the Craigslist of weapons/and related stuff...... Pretty much sell/buy at your own risk....

If selling: Cash only

Do not do transactions at your place of residence

Do transactions at a place where there is a lot of people/traffic and only during daylight hours

Just my 14 cents...........
    miller_man likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Treat it as if you placed an ad in the newspaper or on Craigslist, and remember you're dealing with guns and ammo. The person or people arriving to take the stuff off your hands might well have their own guns and ammo as well ... little different than with any other product. Take whatever precautions you'd normally do, not knowing who you're about to deal with. Given that it's involving arms, if concerned then perhaps come with a friend (ie, stopping on the way to the shooting range, to do this transaction).

My preference for any FTF transactions: go armed; meet in a neutral public spot; accept cash or a USPS money order (if for more-expensive stuff); if for serial-numbered things (guns, cars), check identities and do the paperwork. Doesn't matter whether it's for a toaster, a firearm or anything else. Never been a fan of the garage sale type thing, myself. Never much liked the odds of an unknown buyer for firearms knowing where I live. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Great advice you've gotten so far. Yes, use caution. I've done several purchases and a few sales now with armslist (also gunownersclub.com) and everything has been great so far. So far every time except one, I pretty much knew as soon as I saw and greeted the person that they were all good people. One guy I bought a pistol from was a little rough looking, but I think he was just going through hard times. I would agree - cash only, meet in public places during day light and just be alert (we all should be anyways, right?).

And one thing I picked up on, was a lot of people selling hand guns require/prefer the buyer to have their CCW. Anyways, I like it and have had great transactions with them - pretty much have decided that's how I prefer to buy all my firearms going forward.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    In addition to the above, be sure to draw up a bill of sale for the transfer. Here are links to a couple of them:

http://bluelinedefense.com/d-files/bill_of_sale_1.pdf

http://www.weapontrader.org/billofsale.pdf
    Badey likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have done one transaction, traded a Ruger p95 for a Henry Golden Boy, the guy was a sheriff deputy, so it was an easy deal. My son has traded many times without any problem. Use good common sense, meet in a crowded public place, ask for a concealed carry permit and drivers license up front if your trading a gun. Just remember there is a segment of the population that are criminal, and they will take every advantage of every opportunity out there. It is also a good idea to take a lot of friends, with guns. Stack the odds in your favor, be careful, exercise good S/A always. Like everything else you deal with in life, the vast majority of the people on arms list are good people, but you never know when you will run in to that BG taking advantage. They look for opportunities too.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Thanks for all the replies, that is basically what I was expecting to hear. I'm only going to be dealing (if at all) with non serialed stuff (honestly I wouldn't buy/sell a buy this way, just seems too risky for many reasons), mainly ammo or mags. I posted ads this morning (shameless plug) for my .40 ammo, cash only, face to face in the area (in public obviously)...we'll see how it goes...*

*If you don't hear from me again I probably am dead or in jail...

I've sold two handguns on armslist.com and it couldn't have been easier (once I actually found the buyer and ignored all the ridiculous trade offers). Both times, we met in a busy parking lot during the day (a Kroger and a Lowe's). Both times they offered their CCW licenses without me asking and handed me the cash. After a quick examination on their part, we went our separate ways. I did consider having them sign some kind of transfer papers, but opted against it. It is not required to maintain records of private sales in KY. If I ever needed to get a hold of them, I have their cell numbers in the initial contact email from armslist.com.

Set up a sale for tomorrow, public place, all cash deal, decently safe area in middle of day. SA will certainly be on the highest notch anyway...will update as to how it goes (hopefully)...

I've bought and sold without problems. You can generally weed out the flaky people via email and phone. If it doesn't feel right then just wait for a "better" person. Whenever possible I like to have a friend with as well.

Did one sale today, went perfectly, buyer was a LEO. Nothing shady, met at agreed place/time, I brought the merchandise, buyer brought the cash. I guess the sniper cover I had was a bit of overkill...

Sounds like a great day, and another positive Armslist experience.

"...I guess the sniper cover I had was a bit of overkill..."

Nah...

A ghillie suit though, that would have let them know you mean business.

I have never seen anything I wanted to buy on Arms List. Either it was not the gun I was looking for or was the gun i wanted but was overpriced. As to the Ammo, fagetaboutit...This is where all the WallyWorld ammo grabbers sell their wares

I've used it.

It's a good thing IMO.

Too bad the Bradey Bunch is sueing them...

Links