Bolt Action Shooting Tips?

This is a discussion on Bolt Action Shooting Tips? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to brush up on shooting rifles, not "tactical," but bolt action. I know the basics, but it has been a while since ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Bolt Action Shooting Tips?

Bolt Action Shooting Tips?

I am wanting to brush up on shooting rifles, not "tactical," but bolt action. I know the basics, but it has been a while since I have seriously tried to shoot for precision accuracy with a rifle. I would appreciate any tips that those of you who shoot rifles (rimfire or centerfire) could give.

Thanks in advance.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

If you can get a hold of this video series try it. You will love it. The techniques described really works...

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

like any gun. line up the sights, hold your breath, slow squeeze. depending where you are shooting, use bipods, wrap a sling around your arm. its not science rockets (give or take windage, bullet weight and all that stuff if you are going for distance). But that's the basics for accuracy with a rifle. I don't find there being any difference between auto, semi auto, bolt, as far as trying to shoot for accuracy goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    like any gun. line up the sights, hold your breath, slow squeeze. depending where you are shooting, use bipods, wrap a sling around your arm. its not science rockets (give or take windage, bullet weight and all that stuff if you are going for distance). But that's the basics for accuracy with a rifle. I don't find there being any difference between auto, semi auto, bolt, as far as trying to shoot for accuracy goes.
    Might want to be a tad more specific.....Some prefer to let out half a breath and hold, I find that squezzing the trigger after a puase in my exhale works for me.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know of any "bolt-action" specific techniques other than practice, practice, practice. Bolters are my preferred rifle of choice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Might want to be a tad more specific.....Some prefer to let out half a breath and hold, I find that squezzing the trigger after a puase in my exhale works for me.
    To each their own I suppose. I hold on both completely full of air and a complete exhale (not at the same time, and before I start the squeeze). I feel I get an extra 2 or 3 seconds when I hold with air though.

As you can see two people do it differently. However we both still do it. Like that video says in the beginning, master the fundamentals.

I highly recommend an Appleseed Event to re-learn the basics of marksmanship. It's a 2-day affair, it costs about $80, but short of boot camp training or a week-long course at Storm Mountain you probably won't get as much worthwhile training for as small an investment of time as Appleseed provides. There are at least 4 scheduled for the rest of the years in Beaver Falls, not too far from Pittsburg.

Check here: Appleseed Schedule

Now the Appleseed shoots pretty much assume the use of a semi-automatic rifle, and there are elements of the training (such as shooting from trigger reset) which won't work with a bolt gun, but nearly everything else is completely transferrable to any rifle platform. At my first Appleseed we had a guy shooting an '03 Springfield rifle... his shoulder was a little sore after two days and maybe 300 rounds, and he didn't make Rifleman, but he sure learned a lot. The ideal training gun for Appleseed is a Ruger 10/22, but just about any repeating rifle that feeds with a clip (i.e., Garand) or detachable magazine will be fine.
    bmcgilvray and Rattlehead like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Reading can help. Doing while reading is most instructive.

Here are a couple of books, now dated yet just as timely today as ever, that I cut my teeth on when I was young and desiring to pursue competitive shooting. These are appropriate no matter what type of rifle or style of recreational or competitive shooting one ultimately pursues. Highly recommended. You will benefit from these books.

The Accurate Rifle: Warren Page: 9781886681064: Amazon.com: Books

Position Rifle Shooting: Bill Pullum, Frank T. Hanenkrat: 9780883170526: Amazon.com: Books

Rifle shooting is the best shooting of all!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Precision accuracy with a bolt action center fire rifle? Stable platform, excellent scope, perfect trigger, the best load, and the basics from you (breathing, and trigger finger).
    I doubt there are many precision rifle shooters that don't load their own. There's a good reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Precision accuracy with a bolt action center fire rifle? Stable platform, excellent scope, perfect trigger, the best load, and the basics from you (breathing, and trigger finger).
    I doubt there are many precision rifle shooters that don't load their own. There's a good reason for that.
    +1 on doing your own loads if you want to get serious about it someday. I have not used store bought ammo in years when shooting LR,,for fun or competition. Over 400 yards it will pay off big time. (at all distances but the further out you shoot you need the consistincey.)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I highly recommend an Appleseed Event to re-learn the basics of marksmanship. It's a 2-day affair, it costs about $80, but short of boot camp training or a week-long course at Storm Mountain you probably won't get as much worthwhile training for as small an investment of time as Appleseed provides. There are at least 4 scheduled for the rest of the years in Beaver Falls, not too far from Pittsburg.

Check here: Appleseed Schedule

Now the Appleseed shoots pretty much assume the use of a semi-automatic rifle, and there are elements of the training (such as shooting from trigger reset) which won't work with a bolt gun, but nearly everything else is completely transferrable to any rifle platform. At my first Appleseed we had a guy shooting an '03 Springfield rifle... his shoulder was a little sore after two days and maybe 300 rounds, and he didn't make Rifleman, but he sure learned a lot. The ideal training gun for Appleseed is a Ruger 10/22, but just about any repeating rifle that feeds with a clip (i.e., Garand) or detachable magazine will be fine.
    Quoted for truth. OP, What you just asked for is Appleseed curriculum in a nutshell. And although yes, the program is more or less designed around a semi-auto, the goal is to make you as proficient as possible with the rifle you regularly shoot, and we have done it many many times with bolt action rifles.

Thanks for the tips. I think I may sign up for an appleseed event soon!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

AccurateShooter.com (previously 6mmbr) has numerous articles on all sorts of rifle subjects, including equipment, technique, sighting/aim, etc.

USMC MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship guide. Not specifically bolt-action related, but it contains much that anyone using a rifle should know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If you can get to practical firearms training in Alderson WV, they have an excellent precision rifle course.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Links