Eyed at gun range today

This is a discussion on Eyed at gun range today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I figured it was time to hit the range again today so I loaded up, got my son, and off to the range we ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OhioCatter
  • 2 Post By Inspector71
  • 1 Post By OhioCatter

Thread: Eyed at gun range today

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Eyed at gun range today

Well I figured it was time to hit the range again today so I loaded up, got my son, and off to the range we headed. We spent about an hour shooting and of course he makes dad look bad as usual. When we were done I got the usual I shoot better than you smile which makes me feel good due to the fact we get to spend time together and he enjoys it so much. Ok now for the head line story.

I know we have heard stories that BG's wait outside to see who has guns and then follows you home to rob you later on. We weren't even outside yet and you know how you get that feeling that someone is eyeballing you up, well I had that feeling big time today. I looked around in the shop and it just looked like the shooters that were on the line where in there. I looked up and down the aisles, along the gun case and wall and nothing. I figured I would make one more lap around before we left. As we made the last lap there he was, hiding in plain sight (like they say if ya wanna hide, hide in the open). I pulled a quick 180 and the tables were now turned with nowhere for him to go. I walked up on him and there he was.........Mr. M&P Shield. Busted.

I just picked up the G23 to go with the 17 and 19's thanks to all your help, but for as long as the Shields have been out I have not seen one in person yet. I asked the counter guy if I could take a look at it and he said sure. I love my Glocks (all of my guns actually) but I figured this would be good when wearing shorts or I don't want to wear a cover shirt. So he hands me the Shield along with a Nano and another slim 9mm. I didn't think I would like them because they just seem so small to me but I just had to handle the Shield since I have seen and read so much about them.

The Nano felt very top heavy, the other one (some funky name) felt funky in the hand, but the shield felt pretty good, good enough to put it in lay away until I can pay it off. I think I got a good deal on it but i'm not sure due to the fact I really never was interested in them. It was $439.00+ tax. Now I just have some explaining to do to the wife. I just hope this little gun will live up to my expectations.
    kaikane0812 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I have one, and I don't think you will be dissappointed. They are as good as their young reputation.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I can't think of a better way to top off a really good day out with the son! Good luck with the chief financial officer
    OhioCatter and gasmitty like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I dodged a bullet on that one CFO was fine with it. I was just surprised with how many they had (3) in 9mm and (2) in 40.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I dodged a bullet on that one CFO was fine with it
    If she shoots, you may want to put another one on layaway so you get one too.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I got one this week took it the range the 9 shoots great right to point of aim. The only drawback is the mag release. I inadvertently hit it twice while shooting. Other than that it was perfect. I came home an dremeled it almost flat and think I solved my problem. Great gun.

MSRP is $449 and considering some people are charging $600 + still like lunatics , I think you did great on the price.

Distinguished Member
    I dig my Shield as well. It chews up and spits out everything I feed it. It feels great in my big mits to boot! Over Christmas in '12 I was showing it to my bro and sis-in-law...they both loved it. He got one for himself for an early father's day gift and got one for her for mother's day. If your wife is pro-2A and likes to shoot, you might not want to let her shoot it...you may never get it back or be forced to buy a 2nd one!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Sometimes people just stare for innocent reasons. My LGS has a Shield but they want $525 for it. I paid $369 just 6 months ago, sold it to get a nice Colt Defender and refuse to pay over $500 for it now. I used to buy a gun or two a month and after a few weeks or months, trade them in for new guns. However with gun prices artificially inflated now I would take a beating by buying high and then selling low later on when supply catches up with demand. I even passed on a new Glock 19 for that reason. The only thing I am now doing is even swaps for guns I bought cheap but cost more now so they are worth a lot more in a trade than they used to be.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

I can't wait to get the shield out and give it a good work out at the range. Time to start looking for accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    If she shoots, you may want to put another one on layaway so you get one too.
    I can get her to shoot once in a blue moon so i'm pretty good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post

The Nano felt very top heavy
    That's because you had it unloaded. Load it, and the weight is very well balanced.

Links