Why do we pay to rent a firearm at the LGS?

This is a discussion on Why do we pay to rent a firearm at the LGS? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems a little wrong that we pay to try out a potential new firearm at the range. We don't pay a fee to test ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Why do we pay to rent a firearm at the LGS?

It seems a little wrong that we pay to try out a potential new firearm at the range. We don't pay a fee to test drive a car or to sit on a couch at a furniture store. So why pay to test fire a firearm. I understand the range fee and needing to use in-store ammo, but it seems like that should be it. I was just mulling this over yesterday and thought I'd throw it out there for comments.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Rentals cut way down on joyrides.
    Dsbjax, nedrgr21, Dragman and 4 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Because they bought the gun and took it out of their sales inventory for the express purpose of being used. When you test drive a new car and don't buy it, they don't have to move it over to the used car lot and reduce the price. Same with couches in a store. They can still sell those items as new.
    OldVet, archer51, squid86 and 5 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Vaild comparisons, especially cars.

A related thought, why do the car repair places add on a fee for "shop supplies"? (I hate crap like that, just charge what you gotta charge up front)
    It would be like McDonalds adding a fee to their posted prices for "kitchen supplies".
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I agree with the 'joyrides' statement above...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The average car sale mark-up is a couple thousand dollars, there are few dealers in an area that carry the same cars, the average firearm markup is about 30 -50 dollars,
    The car taken for a test drive is usually resellable with little to no depriciation, the gun, not so much.
    phreddy, msgt/ret and Chesafreak like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm betting the markup on new guns is more than 30-50 dollars. Retail prices are often "keystoned," meaing twice the wholesale cost. $30-50 per firearm would never cover overhead.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

A related thought, why do the car repair places add on a fee for "shop supplies"? (I hate crap like that, just charge what you gotta charge up front)
    It would be like McDonalds adding a fee to their posted prices for "kitchen supplies".
    Auto shops charge shop fees to cover the things that it is nearly impossible to charge for outright, IE:
    Paper towels, shop rags, wire, cleaners, the plastic they put on your seats and floor, nuts and bolts, tape, rubber gloves, dust masks, etc etc. All of that stuff costs money and a lot of it is not cheap. They have to make the cost up in some fashion, and charging a flat fee is easier than itemizing your repair bill for rubber gloves and paper towels. Also, things like oil and tire changes cost them money because they have to pay someone to come and dispose of it. Now.... back to the regularly scheduled thread.

I would rather pay 20 bucks to rent a gun and find out i dont like than drop 500 bucks on it to find out I dont like it. Once you buy it, its used.
    squid86, msgt/ret and myrkr like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Several ranges I have been to will put your rental cost toward the price of a firearm if you purchase the same day. Otherwise, as the others have said, cuts down on joyrides and defrays the cost of the firearm and maintenance.
    dV8r and CPT_Rich like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

I many cases, they do this so that they can advertise a lower price on certain services, like an oil change for 19.99 plus shop fees. It makes their prices look lower because the prices use to inlcude overhead like shop supplies. Instead of raising prices for the services, they start charging for shop supplies.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    How much of a fee are we talking?

The range I frequent charges $6 and you can try as many as you would like.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Pep Boys doesn't have shop fees for oil changes, standard brake jobs, and a couple other smaller things. But, it's a percentage of the total ticket up to $35 to cover lift maintenance, cleaning supplies, cleaning shop rags, floor mats, seat covers, keeping the scan tool and alignment machines computers updated, servicing air compressors... Nobody likes them, but without shop fees a lot of shops would really just suck because nothing would actually work.

With a range gun, they have to cover the cost of the gun coming out of inventory somehow. After that, it's all extra income- and who would turn that down?
    Taurahe and msgt/ret like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I think it's more like renting a canoe at the lake. Some people rent so they can shoot several different guns. Like noway2 said the rental at the local range/gun store I go to the rent is cheap and you can shoot as many different guns as you desire. Some just want to shoot and don't own a gun. Not that big a deal.

Administrator
    I would say that you rent a firearm more like you rent a power washer or a carpet steam cleaner.
    Because most folks rent a firearm just to shoot it and not specifically to buy one.

VIP Member
    If you rent and then buy there, if the store does not automatically deduct it, I would negotiate the rental fee in to the price of the purchase. Remember, as with buying automobiles, everything is negotiable!

My LGS will not only throw in the cost of the rental but will even credit the range fee. That's pretty generous, in my opinion.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links