Frog lube users

This is a discussion on Frog lube users within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to give frog lube a try and see how it works for myself. My question is why would you need the liquid ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Frog lube users

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Frog lube users

I am going to give frog lube a try and see how it works for myself. My question is why would you need the liquid and the paste. From what I can see they serve the same purpose. Am I missing something?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Once, a long time ago, I sold industrial lubricants. A paste lube was best used for high pressure where metals were in contact with each other. Not so useful for areas where there is a quick sliding motion. But, maybe formulations have changed and that may be OK now.

I use frog lube, like it very much. I have not used the paste just the clp an the disolver. Works well an it has no petrochemicals so it does not hurt nice wood grips

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've been using the paste on a couple of my guns as an experiment. I warm up the rails, barrrel, and any other high wear areas, brush on the FL and watch it melt like butter. After it cools, I wipe it down and reapply a light coat to the rails. It's very slippery (like the screwdriver in the old STP commercials if you recall that), but I haven't been using it long enough to determine if it's any better/worse than any other cleaner lubricant. I don't know if paste is better than liquid nor if both are necessary.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

havent used it.... costs too much money when there are other products that work for far less and work just fine.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I normally wouldn't either, but it was a gift. Personally, I think any quality lubricant works as well as over-priced, special "gun" products. 3-in-1 has always been my "go to" lube.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Havent tried using frog lube, but I did get an inquiry from their company for me to carry their products at my store. Their prices are quite high even for dealers.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

From the instructions looks like you apply both products the same. Warm the metal let it cool and wipe the extra off. Think I will get the paste and some of the solvent.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Irony indeed that you start this thread. I have been trying to get the lowdown on FL for the past few weeks. I just received my packet of FL that I ordered. It arrived yesterday. I ordered the kit off ebay on Friday and it arrived Monday, contains both the liquid and the creme.

I have had a protracted conversation about it over on the ruger forums. And I am still a doubting thomas and have yet to apply it to any gun. But I will say that its a whole different animal than hoppes. The smell was the first to hit me. It spells exactly like Lifesavers Wintergreen. If you hate wintergreen, you are really in for a ride with FL.

In brief testing last night I found that their claim that it softens skin is true. Myself and my two granddaughters all rubbed some on our hands and it felt like having the best hand cream on the planet on our hands. After using hoppes, my hands feel dry and chapped and I usually need some hand cream afterwards. I can see FL not causing this and quite the opposite, actually moisturizing my hands during gun cleaning sessions.

The creme has the consistency of Carmex or slightly softer. Not quite soft as crisco consistency. I can easily see it being an advantage when applying to vertical surfaces where you want it to stay in place. The liquid is about the consistency of maple syrup. I see it being used inside trigger assemblies and places that are hard to get the thicker paste into like spring channels and gas ports.

I did look at the prices, $35ish for a kit of 4oz bottle, 4oz creme, cleaning brush and microfiber towel. Not the cheapest thing in the world but my God how much we spend on other things in this sport/hobby. From what I have been told this stuff goes a loooooog way. And the mistake that seems to happen most is over use of FL until you really get used to the product and how little you should be using. As I said, I have yet to apply it to any gun and I intend to test it on some household items prior to committing it to gun use.

But, I will say that my granddaughters (6,9) are all in favor of the smell opposed to hoppes as is the old lady. The 9yr old is actually willing to help clean the guns when I try FL and went so far as to ask when I was going to do it. So that right there is positive advancement. they leave the room/house when I clean the guns as they hate the hoppes smell. I am an old fart and, sorry, but I like the smell of Hoppes.

I have seen several tests done for corrosion/rust prevention (P in CLP). FL seems to fair better than all current products that I have seen on the market. I have also seen reports saying they get an increase in muzzle velocity and action smoothness using FL. So far, no verifiable test results.
    fotomaker57 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I found that the cost was OK because it does what it is supposed to do without a lot going on to the mat, I use the liquid and for me there is little waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Irony indeed that you start this thread. I have been trying to get the lowdown on FL for the past few weeks. I just received my packet of FL that I ordered. It arrived yesterday. I ordered the kit off ebay on Friday and it arrived Monday, contains both the liquid and the creme.

I have had a protracted conversation about it over on the ruger forums. And I am still a doubting thomas and have yet to apply it to any gun. But I will say that its a whole different animal than hoppes. The smell was the first to hit me. It spells exactly like Lifesavers Wintergreen. If you hate wintergreen, you are really in for a ride with FL.

In brief testing last night I found that their claim that it softens skin is true. Myself and my two granddaughters all rubbed some on our hands and it felt like having the best hand cream on the planet on our hands. After using hoppes, my hands feel dry and chapped and I usually need some hand cream afterwards. I can see FL not causing this and quite the opposite, actually moisturizing my hands during gun cleaning sessions.

The creme has the consistency of Carmex or slightly softer. Not quite soft as crisco consistency. I can easily see it being an advantage when applying to vertical surfaces where you want it to stay in place. The liquid is about the consistency of maple syrup. I see it being used inside trigger assemblies and places that are hard to get the thicker paste into like spring channels and gas ports.

I did look at the prices, $35ish for a kit of 4oz bottle, 4oz creme, cleaning brush and microfiber towel. Not the cheapest thing in the world but my God how much we spend on other things in this sport/hobby. From what I have been told this stuff goes a loooooog way. And the mistake that seems to happen most is over use of FL until you really get used to the product and how little you should be using. As I said, I have yet to apply it to any gun and I intend to test it on some household items prior to committing it to gun use.

But, I will say that my granddaughters (6,9) are all in favor of the smell opposed to hoppes as is the old lady. The 9yr old is actually willing to help clean the guns when I try FL and went so far as to ask when I was going to do it. So that right there is positive advancement. they leave the room/house when I clean the guns as they hate the hoppes smell. I am an old fart and, sorry, but I like the smell of Hoppes.

I have seen several tests done for corrosion/rust prevention (P in CLP). FL seems to fair better than all current products that I have seen on the market. I have also seen reports saying they get an increase in muzzle velocity and action smoothness using FL. So far, no verifiable test results.
    I think the smell of hoppes is awesome. It reminds me of cleaning guns with my dad when I was little, and for that i will keep it. Plus Hoppes bore solvent is the sweetest perfume ever :)... seriously though, I dont care how awesome frog lube is , unless it field strips detail cleans and makes me breakfast, im not paying their crazy prices. Hoppes has worked on my handed down winchester model 37 for years, and will work for many more.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    havent used it.... costs too much money when there are other products that work for far less and work just fine.
    One tub for $10 or so will last a good year. I love the stuff. I apply it in paste form and it thins out while I shoot yet it does not get all runny like other lubes. Also it seems to absorb all the gunk which makes for a very easy wipe down after shooting. lastly, it smells great and is non-toxic, so once I put all the ammo in a separate room, I can clean my gun in the living room while watching my daughter play with her toys. Seems like a win win win situation to me. I can not explain the science behind it, but I would highly recommend the product to anyone.
    Not sure where all these crazy price comments are coming from, maybe it has gone up in price since I bought two tubs for $18, it will last years.

The paste is nice if you use a paintbrush or similar onto heated/warmed metal. Nearly zero waste. I also put a bit at the leading edge of the slide contacts before reassembling, because it holds there a bit nicer than the liquid.

Oil of wintergreen (major component) is the old armorer's trick as a penetrating oil. If there's a pore, it will get into it. Do it up right (get rid of all the petroleum-based stuff first) and it works really nicely. As the metal heats up during a range session, you can see it (and smell it) coming out of the metal to continue lubing.

A downside, or upside depending on your POV, is the day after a good cleaning/lubing. As your body heat warms your carry gun, the oil starts to come to the surface, and you will smell like you've either just brushed your teeth or used muscle linament.

Not something I'd use on a component that requires a significantly-thick film to operate, but after spending some time at an armorer's course, I was convinced and have recently been swapping most of my regularly-used firearms over to it.

Now for long-term storage, I'm still a big fan of grease, and if you were a real old-schooler, you could go with linseed oil and brown paper!

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I have both... the paste I have will last prob forever. So it I had to do it again, I'd buy the smallest paste I could get and the largest liquid. FOR ME... its worth the price fo rno other reason than my wife doesn't mind me cleaning my guns in the house.

I was talking with a young man working at a gun store yesterday and asked about frog lube. He said that he has been using it and loves it. As we are talking he takes his pistol out if its holster, clears the weapon and hands it to me. As soon as it came out of the holster I could smell it. It's going to be weird to have a minty fresh pistol.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links