Mossberg MVP Predator

This is a discussion on Mossberg MVP Predator within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this gun at the store a few weeks back and had to have it. The gun has a laminate stock, adjustable LBA trigger, fluted ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Xader
  • 1 Post By Xader
  • 1 Post By IAm_Not_Lost

Thread: Mossberg MVP Predator

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Mossberg MVP Predator

Saw this gun at the store a few weeks back and had to have it. The gun has a laminate stock, adjustable LBA trigger, fluted and free floated 20" barrel, spirally fluted bolt, 5.56 chambering, and takes AR magazines. Cost is right over $500 bucks. The thing that really sets it apart is the fact that you can use your AR mags in it, which I think is nifty. I used colt mags, Pmags, and the 10 round mag that came with it with no problems, although the Pmags require a firm seating to engage the catch. The gun did not like steel cased ammo, and casing repeatedly got stuck in the chamber. I am not sure if a fluff and buff would do the trick, but I would like to be able to use steel. As you can see in the pictures the bolt head is somewhat different (and necessary for use with the AR magazines) than other bolt heads in the sense that they made a little piece that swings down to grab a round and then close as it enters the chamber. The extractor is not in the bolt head at the moment, so that is what the empty hole is on the right side. Anyways, I had never heard of this rifle and figured maybe a few of you hadn't either!

IMG_0828.jpgIMG_0829.jpgIMG_0835.jpgIMG_0837.jpgIMG_0838.jpg
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Definitely a cool concept. I had considered one for coyote hunting, but Maine has a 5 round limit for hunting so it didn't make sense to buy it knowing I wouldn't be able to use anything more than that. Long story short I ended up with a Savage Axis in .22-250.

How's it shoot? Accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    How's it shoot? Accurate?
    Fellow Mainer here (at least I used to be). I have gotten out a few times with it and accuracy has been adequate using Wolf Performance and green tip surplus ammo. At 200 yards off a plastic camp table my groups have been 2-3 inches using a 3x Nikon P-223 scope. I am quite sure that any inaccuracy is completely my fault.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Looks awesome !
    I have contemplated a MVP patrol as a SHTF/varmint rifle. IMO, the MVP patrol with a fixed 4x scope, the iron sights, and ar style mags is a great compromise between a food fetcher and a defensive weapon when the zombies come. I think it is a bit overpriced, but I would pay it if I could find one. The short barrel accuracy would be more than sufficient for just about anything out to 150 yds or further depending on your skills, and it keeps it manueverable and compact. I think mossberg has a homerun here.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Its not complete without iron sights. A no go for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I'd buy one if they made a left handed model.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Its not complete without iron sights. A no go for me.
    The patrol model has irons

I really like the look of that patrol model. Was checking that out in a magazine the other night :) I think I will wait for it in .308 and get the tactical stock though.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    I really like the look of that patrol model. Was checking that out in a magazine the other night :) I think I will wait for it in .308 and get the tactical stock though.
    Good news. They make that! It's called the M1A.

I like the look of the mossyberg one better :)

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice stuff

Just an update for anyone who cares:

I have put a few hundred rounds down range now with this bolt gun, and it continues to perform very well as long as I use brass and not steel cased ammo. Steel works, just doesn't extract as smoothly. The bolt flap is as sturdy as ever, pretty much eliminating my fear that it is a weak point in Mossberg's new bolt design. All my magazines have worked fine as well, and I have a pretty good variety of AR mags. Anyways, as you were.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Have you used any good ammo or hand loads yet. Group size with the good stuff?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Have you used any good ammo or hand loads yet. Group size with the good stuff?
    Nope. I have been shooting what I can find which s M855 green tip. I have a Nikon P223 BDC fixed 3x scope and I have been doing sub MOA at 50 yards and 1-3" at 200 yards. My set up is out in the desert using a walmart camp table and shooting when the wind sort of dies down so I wouldn't say my results are the best you can obtain.

Links