Opinions on Gun Shows

This is a discussion on Opinions on Gun Shows within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about purchasing handguns at gun shows, particularly the Southern Dixie gun show. There is one this weekend ...

Thread: Opinions on Gun Shows

Opinions on Gun Shows

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about purchasing handguns at gun shows, particularly the Southern Dixie gun show. There is one this weekend in Raleigh, NC. and I've never been to one before. Some have told me to stay away from purchasing any firearms at these shows because you never know what your getting, then again you can get better deals. I was thinking about purchasing a new CCW (baby glock) and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the do's and dont's and what to watch out for at these shows, if there is a need to at all. Thanks to all!

2. Remove Ads

If you know what you want and you know prices, you have an advantage. If you are looking for a used gun and didn't know what to look for, I'd ask somone who knows, to go along for help.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If you buy from one of the vendors who have purchased space at the show it should be just like buying a gun from a gun shop. They will even do the "instant background check" over a cell phone.

It's when you buy a gun from some guy wandering up and down the isles looking to get rid of a gun that you have to be more carefull. There is nothing wrong with this but this is where you run a greater risk of unknowingly buying a "hot" gun.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    If you buy from one of the vendors who have purchased space at the show it should be just like buying a gun from a gun shop. They will even do the "instant background check" over a cell phone.

It's when you buy a gun from some guy wandering up and down the isles looking to get rid of a gun that you have to be more carefull. There is nothing wrong with this but this is where you run a greater risk of unknowingly buying a "hot" gun.
    One thing about gun shows I don't get is that ANYONE can by a long rifle or assault weapon without a backgroud check. Is that right? That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Putting assault weapons into the wrong hands is never a good idea.

But yeah, I know prices of new handguns pretty well, it's just I'm not familiar with how much is too much for used handguns. I've never purchased a used gun before and don't really want to. Only if it's a really good deal.

Thre rules...

1.) Negotiate.

2.) Cash Is King.

3.) Know your prices BEFORE you go (i.e. shop locally and no local shop's pricing).
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    One thing about gun shows I don't get is that ANYONE can by a long rifle or assault weapon without a backgroud check. Is that right? That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Putting assault weapons into the wrong hands is never a good idea.

But yeah, I know prices of new handguns pretty well, it's just I'm not familiar with how much is too much for used handguns. I've never purchased a used gun before and don't really want to. Only if it's a really good deal.
    Same federal background check handgun or long-gun.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    Brady bunch lies.

The law is just the same, gun show or not. A background check is required if buying from a dealer, be it rifle or handgun.

If you buy from a private seller, then your state may permit a transfer with no background check. but that has nothing to do with it being a gun show, its to do with it being a private sale. Could just as easily be buying it at a bbq contest.

VIP Member
    If it is new in box and you researched prices go for it.

Don't be too anxious or appear too interested - just might get you a better deal. I'm going there myself tomorrow morning. Good luck at the show!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Brady bunch lies.

The law is just the same, gun show or not. A background check is required if buying from a dealer, be it rifle or handgun.

If you buy from a private seller, then your state may permit a transfer with no background check. but that has nothing to do with it being a gun show, its to do with it being a private sale. Could just as easily be buying it at a bbq contest.
    yeah, that's what I meant to say. I still think it's rediculous being that it's an organized event and all. I know you can't control it outside of gun shows with individual sellers, but you would think that there would be some type of regulation on individual sellers at events like that.

VIP Member
    The regulation on individual sellers is the same as applies to individual sellers anywhere else in your state. In fact in Alabama if you buy from an individual at a gun show he will inevitably ask to see your driver's license. This is because handguns can only be transferred between individuals who reside in the same state without going through FFLs. In FTF transfers outside of a gun show the seller seldom asks for an ID to prove residence. I go to gun shows in 3 cities in Alabama and have even bought a couple of items from people who brought in guns to trade or sell (not having purchased tables) and each time even these individuals have asked for proof of residence.

Here are the pertinent regs regarding sales and sales at gun shows.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

478.100 Conduct of business away from licensed premises.
    (a) (1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license: Provided, that such business shall not be conducted from any motorized or towed vehicle. The premises of the gun show or event at which the licensee conducts business shall be considered part of the licensed premises. Accordingly, no separate fee or license is required for the gun show or event locations. However, licensees shall comply with the provisions of § 478.91 relating to posting of licenses (or a copy thereof) while conducting business at the gun show or event.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

thanks for that!

Curious, how does one buy a handgun at a gunshow that leaves town before the 3 day wait period is over?

I have a CCW now, but what if you didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by symbiont7 View Post
    Curious, how does one buy a handgun at a gunshow that leaves town before the 3 day wait period is over?

I have a CCW now, but what if you didn't?
    Is there still a 3 day waiting period in your state? I thought NICS took care of that in most states. If you got a 'Delay', then I imagine you would need to use another FFL to transfer the firearm for you.

Links