.22 trail carry gun

This is a discussion on .22 trail carry gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the market for a .22 or .22 MAG revolver that I can carry IWB or OWB while hiking, biking, etc. so I guess ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .22 trail carry gun

.22 trail carry gun

I'm in the market for a .22 or .22 MAG revolver that I can carry IWB or OWB while hiking, biking, etc. so I guess my first question is .22 or .22 MAG? What's everyone's opinions on .22/.22 MAG revolvers on the market? I'm looking for a snub but might be willing to consider a 3" barrel. My budget is sitting at $450 right now but I'm definitely willing to spend a bit more for something that will be reliable and last.

I had the chance to handle an LCR at the local lgs the other day, and I loved everything but the trigger! Of course the guy at the counter says he's a ruger guy and he guarantees it will smooth out after some use. But he also was recommending .22 MAG as a good defensive round against anything up to and including cougar. Needless to say I took his opinion with a grain or ten of salt. However the LCR was a nice little package and was sitting at $399.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

A cougar is a light skinned animal, pretty easy to kill, and a 22 mag would do the job, however not fast enough for my liking.
    A good 38spl would be more to my liking.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

.22 mag against a cougar? I'll believe that when I see it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I use a Ruger Super Single Six for my roaming in the woods gun. It has a 5/12" bbl and I normally use the .22 mag cyclinder. It makes a great trail gun but would probably not be ideal for IWB carry.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    .22 mag against a cougar? I'll believe that when I see it.
    i was with you on this until i saw my great grandfather kill a black bear with a 22. but that was with plenty of setup and time to properly aim and all. in a defensive scenario against wild animals attacking i probably would go alittle larger
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

...to me, trail gun means snake...cougar means at least .357...they are tough...

...for a trail gun, I'd hunt for a 4" or 6" High Standard Sentinel Deluxe...an old 9-shot .22 S,L, LR revolver...the one I taught myself to shoot with...reliable...accurate...$175-250 used with a generation or two of life left in them...the Double-Nine had a cowboy grip but was also double action...also made for Sears...that'd leave you a good chunk of $$ for ammo to become deadly accurate with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I'm in the market for a .22 or .22 MAG revolver that I can carry IWB or OWB while hiking, biking, etc. so I guess my first question is .22 or .22 MAG? What's everyone's opinions on .22/.22 MAG revolvers on the market? I'm looking for a snub but might be willing to consider a 3" barrel. My budget is sitting at $450 right now but I'm definitely willing to spend a bit more for something that will be reliable and last.

I had the chance to handle an LCR at the local lgs the other day, and I loved everything but the trigger! Of course the guy at the counter says he's a ruger guy and he guarantees it will smooth out after some use. But he also was recommending .22 MAG as a good defensive round against anything up to and including cougar. Needless to say I took his opinion with a grain or ten of salt. However the LCR was a nice little package and was sitting at $399.

Thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    These can be had at a little over your price.

Ruger® New Bearcat® Single-Action Revolver Models

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models

and this one quite a bit below.

Detail Image

Blue Finish - Heritage Manufacturing Inc

the Heritages are quite a bit lighter, I believe 7 or 8oz lighter. that only makes a big difference while on a long hike.

Both of these have been in my family since new. The Ruger in 1962, and the Heritage in 1978. Both have given good service, and both have been refinished. Both shoot equally well and are convertible to 22mag. Good Luck. DR

Bearcat.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I know you said revolver but being practical, Glock 20C or 29C (rare but they do exist) is much more sensible. Normally when we are talking about SD guns/ammo we want what stops the threat, in a woods gun against a rampaging predator we need devastating firepower, 10mm can be as heavy as 220 hard cast and can stop a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I know you said revolver but being practical, Glock 20C or 29C (rare but they do exist) is much more sensible. Normally when we are talking about SD guns/ammo we want what stops the threat, in a woods gun against a rampaging predator we need devastating firepower, 10mm can be as heavy as 220 hard cast and can stop a grizzly.
    I just switched to a G20 with 220gr buffalo bores for my woods gun from a Ruger SP101 4.20" .357 with 180gr buffalo bores just for a little more power and capacity. Without derailing the thread too much, the LCR package is pretty decent, either in the .357, or .38 only. If you get one in .22, I don't think you'll be unhappy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I use a Ruger Super Single Six for my roaming in the woods gun. It has a 5/12" bbl and I normally use the .22 mag cyclinder. It makes a great trail gun but would probably not be ideal for IWB carry.
    I almost always have my single six with a mag cylinder with me when I hike (in the pack, but accessable), but my primary hiking pistol is a Ruger Vaquero in .357.

Sorry, but I have to LMAO every time I see someone worrying about defending themselves from a cougar. From a previously researched post:

"Wonder if these guys realize that while walking in the woods, they're about:

three times more likely to be killed by a spider,
    seven times more likely to be killed by a snake,
    fifteen times more likely to be killed by a dog,
    26 times more likely to be killed by bee stings and
    150 times more likely to be killed by a mosquito bite,

than by a bear?"

Now, considering that you're about eight times more likely to be killed by a bear than by a cougar:

You're about:

24 times more likely to be killed by a spider,
    56 times more likely to be killed by a snake,
    120 times more likely to be killed by a dog,
    208 times more likely to be killed by bee stings and
    1200 times more likely to be killed by a mosquito bite,

than by a cougar.

Hey, I pack a gun in the woods, too, but it's mostly for fun. Getting attacked by a wild animal (with the possible exception of a snake or a pack of dogs), is the least of my worries.

Your can of Deep Woods Off is statistically over 1000 times more likely to save your life!
    wmhawth likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Then there's the "other" type of cougar you need to defend against, but you usually don't run into them on the trails.

Getting past the caliber debate and back to the OP's question, you have a decent range from which to choose. Charter Arms, Taurus and Smith & Wesson all make double-action revolvers in .22 magnum. S&W gets a little pricey, and Taurus has erratic quality (although I must own the 3 most reliable Tauri in the world). That leaves Charter Arms. Not finely finished, but the current crop gets good reviews and they seem pretty robust as well as affordable.

If single action floats your boat, then the Ruger Single Six with the LR and mag cylinders is a great way to go. I like mine and I shoot it well, but I just can't get used to the grip on that gun, and having to curl my pinky finger under the bottom of the grip.
    voodoo304 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I guess to clarify what I see the purpose of a trail gun to be...

1.dealing with snakes along the trail
    2.around here dealing with animals along the lines of rabid fox, raccoon (had first hand experience with this one, not fun at all) and possibly the occasional coyote that needs to back off a bit.
    3. Have the potential to be a meat getter if you get lost or stranded, realistically meaning small game such as rabbit, squirrel, etc.

Those are the main requirements I see for a trail gun. If I'm headed for bear country I'm bringing bear mace, and if I'm camping for a while I'm probably bringing the 12gauge with 00 buck and slugs.

Seems like a lot of suggestions are leaning towards SA, are the SA,DA offerings out there not up to par? I've been keeping my eye out for a charter arms pathfinder with the .22 and .22mag cylinders but havent had any luck. That ruger lcr in .22mag stares me down every time I walk into the local tri state, the only reason it hasn't come home with me is I don't have and have yet to see any .22mag on the shelves. I'm not going to buy a brand new gun and not be able to at least go put 50rnds through it!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I guess to clarify what I see the purpose of a trail gun to be...

1.dealing with snakes along the trail
    2.around here dealing with animals along the lines of rabid fox, raccoon (had first hand experience with this one, not fun at all) and possibly the occasional coyote that needs to back off a bit.
    3. Have the potential to be a meat getter if you get lost or stranded, realistically meaning small game such as rabbit, squirrel, etc.

Those are the main requirements I see for a trail gun. If I'm headed for bear country I'm bringing bear mace, and if I'm camping for a while I'm probably bringing the 12gauge with 00 buck and slugs.

Seems like a lot of suggestions are leaning towards SA, are the SA,DA offerings out there not up to par? I've been keeping my eye out for a charter arms pathfinder with the .22 and .22mag cylinders but havent had any luck. That ruger lcr in .22mag stares me down every time I walk into the local tri state, the only reason it hasn't come home with me is I don't have and have yet to see any .22mag on the shelves. I'm not going to buy a brand new gun and not be able to at least go put 50rnds through it!

With that clarification I would really suggest either a Ruger Single six convertible (then you can shoot either .22 or .22 mag) or one of my personal favorites, the Ruger SP101 .22. Personally I think the sight radius on the LCR would make it to difficult to shoot small game at any distance past a few yards.

There are certainly more affordable options out there, but I'm partial to Ruger.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links