The LCP "everone should have one of these"

This is a discussion on The LCP "everone should have one of these" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wasn't sure where to put this, so its here. I was at the gym and ran into a cop I hadn't seen for about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The LCP "everone should have one of these"

VIP Member

The LCP "everone should have one of these"

I wasn't sure where to put this, so its here.

I was at the gym and ran into a cop I hadn't seen for about 4 months. Turns out he was injured
    arresting a rowdy drunk and is just now getting better. So we got talking about his recovery and
    he said he had something he wanted to show me. I thought it was his Rx or doc's physical therapy
    instructions. Instead, he took an LCP out of his gym shorts and said, "everyone should have one of these, my gf got it for me, I shoot it better than my G22."

I've been wanting to buy one for months now but every time I go looking for one they are gone from the shelves. I asked him where she found it and he gave me the name of a LGS that didn't have one last time I looked. I am very very jealous. To make things worse, he had a really nice custom holster made by a local holster maker. That thing just disappeared in his nylon gym shorts.

I am green envious of the LCP, not his injuries. I asked if the guy he arrested was
    going to get enough jail time to make it all worthwhile. He smiled and assured me the answer is yes.

I'm hoping he gets better fast now as I like sparring with him and enjoy his company. Maybe this part belongs in Bob and Terry's Place. You all can please send up a word.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

I am glad you friend is okay. As far a the LCP is concerned, personally Ill pass. IMO the gun is too lawyered up for me. I understand that some have a proper context for carrying it, but for me its just too small for any dynamic shooting...
    Taurahe and Snub44 like this.

Ruger LCP was the first pistol that I bought for my wife to carry when she got her permit. Sadly, it has been stolen by a burglar.

However, the LCP is a good pistol for it's intended purpose, self-defense. Small, compact, easy to conceal and the .380 cartridge is a bit less stout than the 9mm. There are some not so good things about it like hard to draw slide to chamber a round, failure to eject spent cartridge if the shooter limp wrists the gun, and the slide does not lock open after firing the last round.

It also is hard to hold if someone has a large hand and can be uncomfortable to shoot. That seems to be the major drawback but I did like the LCP and carried it once I got her the Ruger LCR .357 to tote around.

I suggest checking out the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. I have one of those and it is a bit better than the LCP in some ways.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I love mine. It doesn't love steel cased ammo though. I shot around 300 brass cased ammo with no problems at all. Then I found some 380 steel cased and shot 50 rounds through it and it broke the extractor :(. This happened Tuesday I called them that afternoon and they sent me a new one. Got it today (Friday) and had it in in about 20 minutes. It's running like a champ again hand cycling. Haven't been able to go to the range yet.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Ive come close to buying one since they come out. I have fought the urge to buy one because I was afraid I would become lazy and find myself carrying it. So far my current rotation is working fine

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I am glad you friend is okay. As far a the LCP is concerned, personally Ill pass. IMO the gun is to lawyered up for me. I understand that some have a proper context for carrying it, but for me its just to small for any dynamic shooting...
    How is the LCP lawyered up? The LC9 and other ruger autos surely are but not so much the LCP. It may have the read instructions warning on the slide but what else?

There is no loaded chamber indicator.

There is no mag safety

There is no safety

The slide doesn't lock back- is that what you mean by lawyered up? I'm not seeing it as being lawyered up.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have one with a CT laser that I added later because the sights are too small for my older eyes.

Fired one magazine worth through a LCP, that was enough to convince me that I do not want. My hand is too big, the grip is too small, or I've been spoiled by my GLOCK 19 and 26 but that damn thing is not fun to shoot. I will say that it would be better than nothing a bad breath distances.

Hope your LEO friend recovers soon and gets back on the job.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    How is the LCP lawyered up? The LC9 and other ruger autos surely are but not so much the LCP. It may have the read instructions warning on the slide but what else?

There is no loaded chamber indicator.

There is no mag safety

There is no safety

The slide doesn't lock back- is that what you mean by lawyered up? I'm not seeing it as being lawyered up.
    I mistook it for their new offering the LC380. My bad. You mentioned the features that I was referring to. You are correct the LCP does not have them, but the LC380 does...

OD*
    I wouldn't be without an LCP.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I wouldn't be without an LCP.
    How many back ups to the LCP do you have???

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    How many back ups to the LCP do you have???
    It's never used as a primary, it's an Ears, Nose & Throat pistol.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It's never used as a primary, it's an Ears Nose & Throat pistol.
    Thats what I thought. IMO its fine for a BUG, but outside of that I would not carrying one....Thanks for being upfront about it....
    Snub44 likes this.

Im not a fan of any of the super small .380's. They just dont fit my hand well. I have shot the body guard 380 and LCP both and didnt like either one. If I were to have a .380 I would look for a bersa or the ruger LC380. Some call it "lawtered up" but the mag safety can be easily removed and, I dont have to use the safety and everything else is no biggie to me. Plus, it will fit right in my ruger collection with the LCR and the SR40C
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Love mine and as of late carry it everyday again. Reasonable power and reliable, Who could ask for anything more.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links