new member need suggestions

This is a discussion on new member need suggestions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a new member here and I mainly signed up to learn some pointers on carrying since I will be getting my ccw soon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: new member need suggestions

I am a new member here and I mainly signed up to learn some pointers on carrying since I will be getting my ccw soon (only 20 now). the other big reason I signed up is to find cool new products and help me make a decision on my first carry gun which is what this post is about. im sure this question has been asked about a billion times but since I am a working college student and don't have a huge budget I need something around $450 or less. guns i've considered: ruger lc9. keltec pf9, S&W shield 9, springfield xds. which of these would you recommend? and any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

Welcome to the site!

Your weapon depends on several factors. Caliber preference, size of the weapon, what you shoot best, etc. I would recommend the Ruger lcp based off what I have read on this site (never owned one). The LC9 is also a great option, especially for the price point you're in. Also, do snubbies interest you? If so, that opens a window to many more options. I would say shoot as many different guns as you're able to and see what you are comfortable with. You might find that one gun that just feels right. As for me I alternate between a S&W Bodyguard .38 and a G19.
    Romans 12:21

I'd like to dissuade you from the itty bitty guns until you can shoot fairly well with a full-size, or possibly a compact model (in the 4" barrel range, like the Glock 19 or 23). The small guns are tough to learn with.

In light of your budget, I'd suggest looking at used guns. Glocks, Rugers, the 4-digit S&Ws, all are rugged guns and cop trade-ins may show cosmetic wear be be perfectly useful guns with a lot of life left in them.

Learn to run the gun, to dress around it, to shoot it accurately first, then start specializing with small guns as your budget allows.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    SmokinFool, OldMick and Caertaker like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am new to guns. I just started shooting last Nov. A buddy took me to an indoor range and i shot his 38 revolver, Ruger LCP (.380) His Sr9c and His Sr40c (And yes he is a BIG RUGER FAN). I decided to go with the Ruger Sr40c. the price I paid was very good. If you have a friend that shoots try to let them try out their guns. I really wanted a gun for EDC. My intention was to get my Texas CHL but wanted to have a gun for home use too.

I dont own one but I have carried a friends for about a month when I was eh heh weaponless for a bit and if I leaned toward 9mm the Ruger sr9c would be the one I would buy. I had opportunity to carry several models of guns during that few months from kahrs to Taurus to Glock to Smith and Wessons. LCPs LC9 lot of different friends pistols and they are all 9mm fans.
    The SR9c shoots well conceals well has a 10 round flush and a 17 round extended mag, dead on reliable and just flat fun to shoot.
    If I went 9mm that would be the pistol. I prefer nothing smaller than a 40 or larger so I didnt rearm myself with one but that was the only reason I didnt get one.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I want to second two point already made:
    1) Stay away from the mini 9mms right now, they aren't for novice shooters and aren't fun to shoot (in general) either
    2) The SR series Rugers are probably the best values on the market for the price. Good capacity, ambidextrous, well made and back by a real warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd like to dissuade you from the itty bitty guns until you can shoot fairly well with a full-size, or possibly a compact model (in the 4" barrel range, like the Glock 19 or 23). The small guns are tough to learn with.

In light of your budget, I'd suggest looking at used guns. Glocks, Rugers, the 4-digit S&Ws, all are rugged guns and cop trade-ins may show cosmetic wear be be perfectly useful guns with a lot of lie left in them.

Learn to run the gun, to dress around it, to shoot it accurately first, then start specializing with small guns as your budget allows.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    All good advice. I second the suggestion of looking at used guns. There are some good bargains out there if you are willing to shop around. A well built firearm will still be in good condition as long as the previous owner didn't abuse it, and this will allow you to consider some options that if bought new would be outside of your budget parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude12 View Post
    I mainly signed up to learn some pointers on carrying since I will be getting my ccw soon (only 20 now).

... don't have a huge budget I need something around $450 or less.
    Beyond price, what are you looking for in a carry gun?

• Dimensional/weight considerations?
    • Concealability?
    • Caliber?
    • Do you care whether something's an on-the-shelf contemporary gun only, or are you open to discontinued, prior-generation models of quality guns?
    • Do you have any experience actually shooting various guns, and are you decently accurate with any?
    • Do you have particular feature/ergonomic preferences?

There are lots of handguns out there. A good-quality revolver can be a real joy, presuming you shoot it well and it feels good in the hand. Many are quite different, along those lines. Myself, I can't shoot an Airweight-class S&W snub-nosed revolver worth a damn, though in all other respects it's a dream to carry. But give me a mid- to heavier-weight all-steel revolver with ~3.5-4" barrel, and I can generally shoot the bullseye out from a fair distance. Go figure. Same with some pistols, many of which behave (for me) quite differently while firing/handling.

If open to revolvers, a decent first weapon choice should consider the Ruger SP-101. You ought to be able to find a used one for the budget you indicated, if you look around.

For a "mouse gun" type format, many people love the Kahr CM9 9mm pistol.

For something a bit larger, many people seem very impressed with the S&W Shield 9mm pistol.

For something in the ~6.5" OAL range, I would recommend at least considering the CZ 2075 RAMI, though you're unlikely to find one within your budget, even used. Also, many people think quite highly of the Bersa Thunder Ultra Carry Pro, which can be found at your price point.

I'd recommend heading to a couple of decent "rental" ranges, ones that have a good selection of guns that can be rented for an hour so that you can try them out. Most feel quite different in the hand, and many shoot quite differently. You won't know how these differences strike you until you actually shoot them. If willing to purchase sight-unseen (or "shooting-unseen"), then this might not matter so much to you. Though, it can be the best way to get a solid feel between the different guns.

Don't forget that you'll need a quality holster, a very good belt, ammo, and ideally training as well.

Some would suggest that, of all the things you're looking to spend on, training would be the most important component. I'm in that camp, too. Get a gun that you can shoot well, sure. But learn enough to perform well in defensive situations, and shoot enough to be capable of shooting it well under duress. That sort of training and range-time doesn't come cheap.

And, as you're nearing your CHL, I'd recommend acquiring a copy of the book In The Gravest Extreme, as well as the book The Truth About Self-Protection, both by M. Ayoob. Very good reviews of what it means to carry a deadly weapon (the pros/cons), as well as the realities of preparing yourself to be capable of defending yourself in the real world.

Here is a tool to help you narrow down some of the possibilities: Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome to the forum! "wave"
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

The first thing we need to know is your experience level. If your an experienced handgun shooter, then one of the small guns you mentioned will work for you. If your a novice to handguns, then I'd recommend starting with a compact (roughly 4" barrel) model. Barrel length has very little to do with the ability to conceal, the grip size is more important. Shorter and narrower grips tend to conceal easier, but the drawback is they can be more difficult to shoot as well. In either case, find a gun range where you can rent a variety of different guns, to see what works best for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Welcome. Lots of good advice coming at you.
    +1000 on renting before you buy. You'll find you self liking one particular model [ whatever it may be ] Research that model and if it checks out to your satisfaction, buy one.

Welcome to the forum from another Buckeye. We never forget where we were born, even though we live in a different state now.
    My wife did not like the J frame S & W. It had more recoil than she was comfortable with.
    So, a Ruger Sp101 solved that problem.
    Your hand size, and arm strength will make a difference, as even the SP has some noticable recoil, but more managable that the Airweight.
    The best info has already been given, so look a lot, attend gun shws, and handle and fondle many.
    Revolvers have greatly reduced incidents of problems,. so take that into consideration, as well.
    Stay with AMerican made itens, and you will not go wrong
    S & W Detective special, SP101, 2 airweights, and Ruger Gp100 are in the stable here, so I am comfortable answering questions about any of those.
    Well taken care of used firearms make a wonderful purchase, and with what you save, you might be able to purchase ammo.
    This will be a really hard decision to make,as you have many different angles that need to be addressed. Take your time and ask many questions.
    You will not regret it. Remember, the only stupid question is the one you DID not ask.
    Again welcome to the forum from soggy wet Oregon in the great Pacific Northwest. TKH

I'm surprised no one had made this point yet: Concealed carry is about self defense. Self defense = stopping power. WIth that in mind, the only sane weapon to carry is this...

MRDE50TGTSFC_1.jpg

If a .50AE can't stop a bad guy, then you need to go with a long gun.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Welcome from the Palmetto State,

Thanks for all the replies! I live in the country and have been around guns all my life. I currently have an sr9 and sd40ve. I am pretty good with my sr9 but my .40 I just got and I am still getting used to it. When I was a kid I grew up on a single six and a mark III. But I've never had experience carrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links