Need advice on 22LR Rifle

This is a discussion on Need advice on 22LR Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am still fairly new to firearms, and so far have only purchased pistols. I'm looking a getting a 22 rifle, just for target and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Need advice on 22LR Rifle

Need advice on 22LR Rifle

I am still fairly new to firearms, and so far have only purchased pistols. I'm looking a getting a 22 rifle, just for target and do get the kids more involved. I have been looking at the Mossberg 715T. I know it's an entry level 22, but if I get one and then decide i really don't like it, I haven't invested too much. I've seen prices ranging from 265$ new (needs to be shipped though ), 300$-400$ gently used, depending on accessories included, and 465$ new, from a local LGS (Shootersworld)

Any opinions and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't give you any info on the Mossberg specifically, but if I were looking for an AR style .22, I'd have to consider the M&P 15-22.

For a general purpose, fun, auto-loader I would go with a Ruger 10/22 over an AR variant, but that's just me.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

For a first .22 you can't beat a Ruger 10/22. They are relatively cheap and almost endlessly customizable, so if you find yourself not liking it the way it is you can change it.

That LGS price for the Mossberg .22 (I'm assuming it's their AR-style)
    is very high, for that price I would most definitely recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. They can be food for around -450 locally for me, or cheaper online, and are fantastic rifles. The great thing about the S&W is that it perfectly mimics the fire controls of a real AR-type rifle, so it provides good familiarization at a fraction of the cost to shoot.

If I could only own one .22 it would be the S&W, simply because it is fun.
    ItalianSteel likes this.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

VIP Member
    I'm going to go against the grain. If you looking at using it to teach your children to shoot. Get a bolt action. While it may be "fun" to shoot as many rounds as you can, as fast as you pull the trigger, it teaches them nothing about aiming and breath control. Anyone can be a shooter. It takes practice and discipline to be a marksman.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I Agee with Archer. Making 50 yard shots at Daisy Shatter Disk is what 22 rifles are all about.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Any opinions and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    I like the Ruger 10/22. I put a Barska Red Dot sight on mine and I also have a cheap BSA Scope that I have used on it as well. It's a fun plinker that won't break your piggy bank.
    Eagleks likes this.

The AR-type rimfires are cool, but for a general purpose, fun and training gun, I'd start with the Ruger 10/22 or possibly the Marlin 795. I think it's easier to start young shooters on a conventional rifle and then transition to an AR, rather than the other way around, but that's just my experience; no denying that plenty of American soldiers with zero firearms experience succeeded with the AR platform from the git-go.

You'll save a few bucks, too, with the Ruger or Marlin, which can go to fund a modest scope. And in normal times, the Ruger and Marlin magazines are substantially cheaper than the AR-type.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    OP, give this a look. Would be a great starter rifle for the kids, and price is reasonable.

CZ-USA -> CZ 452 Scout
    gasmitty likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Specifically for a "kids" rifle, I'd go bolt action as well. Savage makes a couple of great youth bolt action .22's. If you want a little more general purpose rifle that will work for younger shooters, then I'd stick with my 10/22 suggestion.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

One thats gonna function with most ammo. Good accuracy and built like a tank. More customizable features. A Ruger 10/22

I would go with the ruger 10/22 or the marlin 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    OP, give this a look. Would be a great starter rifle for the kids, and price is reasonable.

CZ-USA -> CZ 452 Scout

This! There is absolutely nothing better, dollar for dollar, than this rifle. If you knew me you'd know that I don't say things like this often. CZ makes a GREAT product and the Scout is the right tool for a youngster to learn on. Super accurate!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Ruger 10/22, Marlin model 60 or Henry H001 are all quality choices that should last a lifetime and hold their value.

They also all fall within the $200-300 range new.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Cz, cz, cz.

If you really want to make good shots of the kids I would recommend a single shot bolt action.In the beginning shooting should be about proper form,breathing trigger.Thoughts should be on the shot in the chamber,not on the next ones and spitting them out fast,that can come later.This is just my opinion of course,but grandson now has bolt guns and AR.Grand daughters are still on bolt guns.They are fine shots.I guess they are my proof that my way of teaching while surely not the only way,might be a good way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links