The story of the cheap rifle-pics included

This is a discussion on The story of the cheap rifle-pics included within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one of those rifles that no one really wants, well, anyone thats a true rifle person. Its a Remington Model 710 package gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The story of the cheap rifle-pics included

I have one of those rifles that no one really wants, well, anyone thats a true rifle person. Its a Remington Model 710 package gun complete with cheap Bushnell 3x9 variable scope. The bolt is stiff as hell, the stock is cheap looking, and the it has no iron sights.

However, it has meaning that prohibits me from selling it. It was used as a raffle gun to raise money for my now deceased best friends cancer treatment. It was given to me by his dad, because of our friendship, and he got it from the man who won it, because he didnt really have a use for a cheap rifle.

So, heres a pic

So, I took it to the range today, and shot it at 250 yards with handloads I put together with IMR 4831 and a Hornady 110 HP bullet. Heres a pic of the range. My target is on the 25 yard line, because you could not see it at distance with the naked eye, and I was finished shooting the rifle.
    URL=http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/glockman10mm/media/1369590603_zps2d226e5a.jpg.html][/URL]

I became pissed because I couldnt see holes after several shots with my spotting scope, so, I mixed some 130 grn rounds in the mix.
    Total rounds fired were 8. Three 130 grn and five, 110 grn.
    Catching a cease fire to change targets I ran down to the 250 to retrieve my target and go home, mad as hell.
    But this is what I found;

So, I proudly carried it to the 25 yard line, and finished the head off with the Colt, used a mixture of handloads.

Now, I expected the Colt to shoot like that. But I didnt expect results like that from a cheap rifle and cheap scope, especially since I forgot my target rest and was resting the gun across my range bag.
    The rifle was half way sighted in last year at 100 yards. And the groupings were about 3 inch groups, and I had not had time to work up better loads for this rifle. I was going to use it as a varmint gun since I have my super accurate Savage in 270.
    But this has got me thinking that this gun deserves a better scope.

Moral; cheap dont mean it wont shoot.
    Exacto, wdbailey, squid86 and 4 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You can't put a price on good memories and friendship...that thing is PRICELESS
    SmokinFool, CLASS3NH and squid86 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    While it may be inexpensive, it is far from cheap. It was purchased by love, and eventually given to you through love. That is not cheap.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    No matter how your collection may grow this one will always be your prize gun.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

even a "cheap" gun deserves a chance to shine, and it looks yours shines brightly. With grouping like that I would not complain one bit.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My even cheaper Remington, a .223 Model 788 with probably the same 3x9 Bushnell, has proven to be deadly on varmits out to beyond 300 yards. Cheap isn't always bad.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

By just lapping the bolt,and trigger, it will shoot like a top shelf gun. And with better optics you will be able to see what your shooting at. If it were mine Id have either a subtle camo or spider web paint job done on the stock that incorporates your friends name in it. And then shoot it often! I cant think of a better tribute Than to be thought of by my friends while they are out shooting! DR

It sure dont shoot cheap.

Though inexpensive, it seems to be a decent shooter, and will do even better with just a little bit of work. And as has already been said, the story behind it makes it much more valuable than your best hunting rifle, IMO.

I just put together 20 more rounds, and decided not to mess with my powder charge, or seating depth. I may go scope shopping and see if I can find a Leupold or Burris on clearance.

What I really need is a good spotting scope. The one I have is not very good quality, but I never knew that because I never bothered shooting past 100 yards for sighting in a hunting rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great story with that gun. That type of value is priceless. Glad it turned into a nice surprise. Now it'll give you something to play with to see how good that "cheap" rifle will perform. Have fun!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What I really need is a good spotting scope. The one I have is not very good quality, but I never knew that because I never bothered shooting past 100 yards for sighting in a hunting rifle.
    I learned the importance of long-range sighting when I tried some 150 grain Noslers in my -06. Shot a dime-sized group at 100 yards from my Rem 700. Oh, boy! I thought. Tried them at 200 yards and kept them in a 50-cent piece group. At 300 I could barely keep them on the paper. Switched to 165 grain Sierras BT spitzers and shrank the 300 yard group to 3-4 inches on a breezy day. Shot up the rest of the 150s and never looked back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You can't put a price on good memories and friendship...that thing is PRICELESS
    +10 on what Duke said
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    That's the same reason I like cheap women!

Great story, thanks for sharing. I would hold on to that rifle for the rest of my days!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I may go scope shopping and see if I can find a Leupold or Burris on clearance.

I just bought a Burris on clearance from Sportsman's Warehouse, you may want to check it out. It has great reviews, and you can't beat the price.

Here it is:

Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Riflescope - Sportsman's Warehouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links