Traveling with guns

This is a discussion on Traveling with guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, my family and I are headed to see family and are flying there. We always have a great time shooting when we are ...

Thread: Traveling with guns

Traveling with guns

Hey all, my family and I are headed to see family and are flying there. We always have a great time shooting when we are all together so my father-in-law suggested we bring some guns with us. We were going to take my Remington 870 trap classic, my walther ppq and my wife's SR9c. Planning on putting it in my double rifle case. It's pretty nice and has the foam insulation and 2 "locks" but I still feel a little nervous with my precious cargo out of sight. Anyone have any success or struggles with flying with guns? We are flying southwest...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369630209.345890.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Never had problems checking guns on SWA...search through threads here on flying with firearms...good advice. The orange tag goes inside the case.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just toss it in your carry on, if they bother you then just say you're an Illinois legislator and do "security work"...Also, if you're going to a state with magazine limits, since you're from out of state those limits don't apply, so like in New York you can bring an AR-15 with 30rd mags, or even a beta C mag drum.*

*I'm kidding, don't actually do this. Flying with guns isn't as much of a pain as you might think, I have done it with handguns (generally the most restricted type) several times with no problems. I was going to and from TX to AZ and FL ( I have a TX CHL and a FL nonresident CHL, AZ doesn't even require a permit) but still, if you call the airline in advance they will walk you through the process. I have done it on both AA and SWA with no issues.

^^Kinda hard to throw an 870 in a carry-on
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

All the forum members that post the experience have been good and very easy, you have to take it to TSA and open it, they look at it to make sure that it's unloaded, you close it back up, take the key yourself, they will take you to another station to drop it off, about time you get to your place you pick it up. Let us know how it goes.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    All the forum members that post the experience have been good and very easy, you have to take it to TSA and open it, they look at it to make sure that it's unloaded, you close it back up, take the key yourself, they will take you to another station to drop it off, about time you get to your place you pick it up. Let us know how it goes.
    I have yet to have the TSA ask to look inside my cases. They ask if the firearm is unloaded, they ask if there is ammunition in the case, they ask if said ammunition is in the factory box or an approved container. I'm guessing this is going to be different from airport to airport, but in my job which I travel 70% of the time, I've never been asked to open the case.

Make sure the locks you use on the gun case/cases are NOT...I'll say it again...NOT TSA locks.. They should either be standard heavy duty combo locks or heavy duty keyed locks. Only YOU should either know the combination or hold the key.

Do not under any circumstances hand the key or combo over to a TSA agent or airline employee. If the TSA needs to gain access to the case, they will notify you and have YOU open it.

With regards to the Firearm Declaration form you MUST fill out...it will either go inside the gun case if you are checking the case itself, OR if the case is going inside of a dufflebag or suitcase then the form will be taped to the outside of the firearm case.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    I have yet to have the TSA ask to look inside my cases. They ask if the firearm is unloaded, they ask if there is ammunition in the case, they ask if said ammunition is in the factory box or an approved container. I'm guessing this is going to be different from airport to airport, but in my job which I travel 70% of the time, I've never been asked to open the case.

Make sure the locks you use on the gun case/cases are NOT...I'll say it again...NOT TSA locks.. They should either be standard heavy duty combo locks or heavy duty keyed locks. Only YOU should either know the combination or hold the key.

Do not under any circumstances hand the key or combo over to a TSA agent or airline employee. If the TSA needs to gain access to the case, they will notify you and have YOU open it.

With regards to the Firearm Declaration form you MUST fill out...it will either go inside the gun case if you are checking the case itself, OR if the case is going inside of a dufflebag or suitcase then the form will be taped to the outside of the firearm case.
    I second that, do not EVER use TSA locks, not just on guns but anything valuable at all. I trust most mall security guards more than TSA. A close relative of mine is an 1811 with a certain 3 letter agency and has been involved in some TSA related cases that are nothing short of mind boggling, running the spectrum from corrupt to incompetent to 'seriously??'.

I've flown with handguns a few times before, never had an issue. This doesn't apply to you this time but if you're flying with a smaller handgun case inside a bigger bag, tried to cable lock it to the larger luggage to make it harder to steal the whole case. I've had TSA have me open the case sometimes and not others, depends on the agent.

Links