Confused on Law

This is a discussion on Confused on Law within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi as many of you probably don't know, I am a 18 year old with many interests in the shooting sports. I enjoy shooting my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye

Thread: Confused on Law

Confused on Law

Hi as many of you probably don't know, I am a 18 year old with many interests in the shooting sports. I enjoy shooting my XDM with my father when we go out on our range trips. Just recently my 70 year old grandfather purchased a .40 pistol and has yet to shoot it. He lives about two hours away from my house and can't really drive back to go shooting with us. My question to you guys is whether or not it is legal for an 18 year old to transport my handgun purchased under my dads name two hours away to go shooting at an indoor range that is close to his house?

2. Remove Ads

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/iowa.aspx

I'm no lawyer, so I give no advice. Simply copy/pasting what's on the web.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
    724.4 Carrying Weapons.
    1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
    f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports an unloaded pistol or revolver in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the pistol or revolver will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.

Hope this helps...Bottom of page 11.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...hapter.724.pdf
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    There may be something on handgunlaw.us for your state.I have never understood,why an 18 yr old,can legally buy a firearm thru private sales, (so far as S.C. laws go).,but they can't buy one from an FFL dealer,until they are 21 yrs old..When i was told this,once upon a time,i wanted to see that law in writing,which i would assume,you would want to yourself.They can transport in vehicle,but,it has to be in a certain place.
    Someone from your state,on here,will probably know.Good luck.
    Dan060 likes this.

Ask your Dad. He needs to know what you intend and he probably knows a lot more about Iowa's laws than I do.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I didn't click onto links,but,it would suck,if you couldn't at 18 yrs old.Maybe the little bump will keep it near top,for a little bit.

I'm just planning on going shooting with my grandfather, the law seems vague, I don't know, maybe I should ask a cop

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g17freak View Post
    I'm just planning on going shooting with my grandfather, the law seems vague, I don't know, maybe I should ask a cop
    NO

You'll get a sincere answer which may or may not be correct. You have to make 110% certain you have the right answer.

I'm surprised the Cyclones on here don't pop up to help you out. (Or Hawkeyes :-__)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hope this helps...Bottom of page 11.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/...hapter.724.pdf
    In paragraph 5 on the bottom of page 11 it says you may with the express permission of a parent or guardian. But I would have that in writing. [ both the permission and a copy of that section Iowa law.] Where its not clear is the transportation. The only mention was " in a locked box or container in the locked trunk." DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    In paragraph 5 on the bottom of page 11 it says you may with the express permission of a parent or guardian. But I would have that in writing. [ both the permission and a copy of that section Iowa law.] Where its not clear is the transportation. The only mention was " in a locked box or container in the locked trunk." DR
    Hmm that looks more promising, I'd just put it in my trunk and have both written permission and the law printed out. Sounds good to me

Links