Any tips on loosening a tight holster

This is a discussion on Any tips on loosening a tight holster within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased a stoner holster for my hk p2ksk and the fit is excellent just one problem it would take me an eternity to get ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Any tips on loosening a tight holster

I purchased a stoner holster for my hk p2ksk and the fit is excellent just one problem it would take me an eternity to get it out any tips on loosening.thanks

VIP Member
    If this is a leather holster just place the gun in a zip-lock bag and insert it in the holster. Overnight is usually enough to loosen without making it too loose. Kydex I have no idea.
    varob and Zeebra724 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If its leather it will loosen within a few days if you draw the weapon a few times each day. Kydex has to be warmed.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Draw the firearm 200-300 times daily for several days...in between those days, let the gun sit in a plastic bag, in the holster...it will loosen up...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If leather, you can even just let the gun sit holstered for several days. If after that time it's still far too stiff, a few dozen draws should loosen things up. Don't be impatient. If you loosen it too far, that's it.

Some suggest the baggie method, overnight. I've done this once or twice. Worked fine. But I still have visions of it ultimately ending up too loose. If you can do it, just allow the leather a bit of time to accommodate the gun's shape, via remaining holstered and drawing a number of times.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Plastic bags or wax paper work. I prefer wax paper (1 or2 wraps) as it also "lubricates" the holster. Wrap the gun and insert in holster, let sit overnight. The next day draw and reinsert gun several times. Repeat if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you loosen it too far, that's it.
    Not entirely true, but it is a lot less work and mess if you don't go too far.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Plastic bags or wax paper work. I prefer wax paper (1 or2 wraps) as it also "lubricates" the holster. Wrap the gun and insert in holster, let sit overnight. The next day draw and reinsert gun several times. Repeat if needed.
    I had to use four layers of wax paper to get a leather holster's retention right for a Kahr.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sponsored Links