Trigger pull question

This is a discussion on Trigger pull question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a question about trigger pull on different types of guns. I understand the difference between DA, SA, and DA/SA guns. What I'd like ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By bdbull
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Trigger pull question

Trigger pull question

I've got a question about trigger pull on different types of guns. I understand the difference between DA, SA, and DA/SA guns. What I'd like to understand is the difference between a SA 5.5# trigger and a DA 5.5# trigger in regards to pull force. Is the only difference between shooting those guns the type of action? What I mean by that is, assuming both guns are ready to fire, if 5.5 pounds of force is applied to both guns, don't they both go bang, regardless of action type?

2. Remove Ads

i'm no expert but i would say the length of pull is far greater on a DA, even with equal pull force required to move the triggers.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

All ya' need t' know, right here on Defensive Carry.

Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...
    Kennydale likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I concur with Oklandintheway. Length of pull. Not all guns that are advertised as double action are 100% double action. Some particially cock when the slide cycles and the trigger just completes the cock.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    i'm no expert but i would say the length of pull is far greater on a DA, even with equal pull force required to move the triggers.
    That^^ and the SA is already at its breaking point. I've never shot a 5# DA trigger before. Typically much higher. The more weight required, the more travel required, the more likely to move the sights off target.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for all the replies and the link. It sounds like the difference is more in the length of the trigger pull, and not necessarily in the force.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Hey, you're smarter'n the average bear!

You read and pay attention.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

It would be nice if manufacturers would spec out the length of trigger pull before it goes bang. That seems to be what a lot of people talk about when they're trying out different guns. I've personally been looking for a small 9 myself. Lots of people recommend the Ruger LC9, but I've shot it before and didn't like how long the trigger was. I felt like I kept saying to myself, "holy crap, when is this going to fire?" If I knew how long it was, and other guns specified their length of trigger pull, then I could focus in on certain guns by that attribute.

buy one of everything, keep your favorite and send me the rest
    Snub44 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Saved as a PDF for refrence.. THANKS !

I can do double-action triggers but I don't like any of 'em, especially on automatics. I come from a background of deliberate shooting and accuracy work, and all that long take-up and over-travel is off-putting to me. The DAO automatic would be my personal least favorite choice. I like the single-action pistols but have been philosophically warming up to the notion of the SA/DA pistol.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    bdbull it should not matter the lenght of pull if the weight is not extreme and pull is smooth. Any good trigger no matter SA or DA type, revolver or pistol, can be masterd with time behind it. For defence use a longer pull may offer a bit of a safe zone with the longer pull over say a well tuned no creep sa trigger. Also most longer pull trigger don't require a extra saftey beside what the trigger pull offers.

I grew up hunting with a SA/DA revolovers , a dan wesson 15-2 series revolver and then a DA 38 snubby for CC then 20 years later a DA type trigger on a pistol for CC seems natural but still enjoy a very lite short sa trigger pull. Give kahr pistols a look, from the small cm/pm series to a cw/p series for smaller pistols ideal for CC use. Maybe the m&p shield also.

I'd rather have a long, smooth, no-slack, no-stack 7 lb. DA trigger than a short, gritty, vague-reset on a 4.5 lb. SA. Point is, there's LOT'S MORE to finding your favorite trigger type than simply the pounds of force required to fire. Shoot 'em all, then decide (to have one or two...of each).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links