bolt action rifles - I dont get it

This is a discussion on bolt action rifles - I dont get it within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like most types of guns, but I just don't understand whats so appealing about bolt action rifles. First off, lets talk about bolt action ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: bolt action rifles - I dont get it

bolt action rifles - I dont get it

I like most types of guns, but I just don't understand whats so appealing about bolt action rifles. First off, lets talk about bolt action rifle calibers, they're outrageously expensive, sold in tiny quantities, and theirs just to many different calibers to begin with. also, why do shooters say "ought" instead of "zero"? Second, why are these things so darn heavy? am I the only person who needs both arms just to pick one of these beast up? its bad enough their the most inefficient firearms available, making them out of steel and walnut make um as effective as a baseball bat. I actually think your better off swinging the thing instead of shooting it. Third, whats the point of having a magazine for a gun like this? do people carry loaded spare mags? I guess bolt actions can be fun to shoot, and probably fill a market niche.

*edit*

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    They are specifically designed to engage large game at long ranges, not for self defense, though they work in a pinch. Have not seen anything short of an armored plate defeat a large caliber hunting round.........

On my 4th read of your OP, I see that you are just trying to 'bait' an argument from people................................... If that is the case, well... bugger off.
    Last edited by ANGLICO; May 31st, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spellin - I aint so good at - LOL at me!

VIP Member
    If you want to see what is possible with a bolt-action rifle attend a high-power match. In the rapid-fire course you must get off 10 rounds within 60 seconds to include 1 reload, I am out of practice now but I sometimes had one alibi round. Another thing most bolt-action rifles have an inherent accuracy that cannot be matched by most semi-autos. Bolt guns can be loaded with a much larger variety of ammo, as an example a 30/06 can use bullets ranging from 90gr up to 250gr and can take anything from small game up and including elephant. When dealing with recoil in the larger rounds the weight helps mitigate the recoil. A gun designed for 30/06 may weigh 6 ½ or 7 pounds but when you move up to something like the 458 Win Mag the rifles may weigh 11 pounds or more. As far as the ought verses zero I have no clue there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Speaking from experience something awesome about wielding a bolt action and out shooting a semi auto on a unknown distance, timed course. Put you on a rooftop and live targets you get into shot placement that can either make or break your career. You want the most solid platform to make the shot with. Solid stocks are more heavy, thus, less "jump around" especially with large calibers.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Well, you are from NY so you better get used to swinging your guns like a bat. A bolt action may seem like a bad ass assault weapon in your fair state within the next few years. Good luck.

PS: Do push ups. You are the only one that thinks they're heavy.

"its bad enough their the most inefficient firearms available, making them out of steel and walnut make um as effective as a baseball bat. I actually think your better off swinging the thing instead of shooting it"

I have a Lee-Enfield that would argue that comment.

sniff, sniff, sniff

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    Well, you are from NY so you better get used to swinging your guns like a bat. A bolt action may seem like a bad ass assault weapon in your fair state within the next few years. Good luck.
    No no, those will get classified as military style assault sniper weapons
    MakarovMan likes this.

OP, what exactly is your point for posting this? It's obvious you don't like bolt guns. That's fine. Everybody has their personal opinions on guns. No problem. However I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by bashing a particular type of firearm? If you're not intentionally baiting, then you would do well to learn the fine art of getting your point across in a manner that is less confrontational. Believe me when I tell you it will get you a lot farther in life.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    try clubbing a 1400 # griz/brown bear to death lol. here in Alaska bolts rule....
    bmcgilvray, OD*, Taurahe and 4 others like this.

Lead Moderator
    If shot placement isn't your thing feel free to spray and pray . A bolt action serves as a accurate tool.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It's almost like one of those things of driving standard vs. automatic. I don't own a bolt action gun yet but I've shot a few, lovely guns and I plan to collect a few. As for not made for SD, lots of WW1/2 guns would have a bone to pick with you on that.

This could become a very instructive thread.

I'd keep the M1 here over this well-loved Model 1903-A3, purchased at 18 years old, but only for the M1's practicality. It'd be a heart-breaker to have to give up the most accurate open-sighted rifle on the place and the one with which the first couple of deer were collected, the first handloads were fabricated for, began a career in high-power rifle competition (yes Virginia, it is very practical to shoot the rapid-fire stages with an '03 Springfield), and one that I still relish shooting for pleasure. [violins may begin playing here] It's still accurate as ever and effective out to very long yardage with the potent .30-06 cartridge.

What I would not do is give up either the M1 or the '03A3 in favor of the AR 15 also kept around here, a piddly little lightweight rifle shooting a piddly little middling varmint cartridge. Only my opinion.

In fact, after that M1, the next 10 most favorite, most enjoyable rifles kept around here are all bolt-actions of some sort whether military or sporting.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I agree with everything you guys said. Keep in mind that the best proven WW2 rifle was the semi auto M1 Garand. When it comes to reliability and accuracy the bolt actions rule
    msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

VIP Member
    A few of my favorites, Springfield M1903 (used in high-power competition), Parker-Hale M1200 in 30/06, Remington 788s in both .223 and 44Mag, Remington Model 521 in 22S/L/LR. Each has a purpose and are a joy to shoot.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links