Have to brag, the Kid shot Distinquished Expert today

This is a discussion on Have to brag, the Kid shot Distinquished Expert today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep. Chip off the old block. Shoots and achieves the NRA Distinguished Expert today... What is he shooting? A Glock G22. Shoots 49 of 50 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to brag, the Kid shot Distinquished Expert today

Have to brag, the Kid shot Distinquished Expert today

Yep. Chip off the old block.

Shoots and achieves the NRA Distinguished Expert today... What is he shooting? A Glock G22. Shoots 49 of 50 in the target. You know that the last 10 shots are at 25 yards for that don't you? Not to mentions some have to be shot weak hand.

Reportedly the first Explorer from SC in over 20 years to obtain it.

With a stock newish out of the box G22.

Last edited by cphilip; November 18th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    That is great shooting. Pass on my congratulations.

Administrator
    Outstanding... its time to upgade to a 1911, and open up some doors for him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Correction. Furthest was 25 yards.

In this case they are required to use whatever duty gun that department issues. No mods.

I getting more details as time goes on. I was not there so I am getting it in dribs and drabs. There appear to have been multiple sessions that are done to qualify for Distinquished level. That first listed score was the last one he shot. The one before that was 46 out of 50 I think. The NRA site says its 100/150 to qualify indicating 150 shots total. So sounds like three sessions of 50 rounds each is what they did. I don't know about the third session. But he would not have had to make but 5 shots to complete that one. Unless they changed it to 100 shots and I am wrong. Because it does not seem to mention weak side shooting either which they did do. So some of it may have changed from the NRA listed site.
    Last edited by cphilip; November 18th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.

VIP Member
    Very cool....pass on our congrats to him!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

outstanding. you must be very proud.
    get him a framed copy of any articles, or pics that you can - he'll treasue 'em.
    When I was thrteen - I place third in a trapshoot at the Babylon Rod & Gun club.
    It made the papers in the sports section - real small article, but I cut it out and saved it for years.

Lead Moderator
    Please pass congrats to him!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks guys. He is too thrilled to remember it all so I will have to wait for the official docs. They do supposedly get written up in "Insite" which I don't get. Hopefully I can get a copy of it. I am an NRA member but thats the Youth publication. He should get a certificate and patch and the Bars and Rockers for his uniform too. He had qualified Expert a couple times, which I think is prerequisite for attempting Distinguished. I don't think he expected to do anything but requalify today but they realized he was qualified to take it and so he just launched into it with no warning. However I had bought him his own G22 for Christmas (gave it to him early for this) so he would have the exact same issue gun to use rather than use "training guns". And he had only had a chance to run two mags though it before this. So it is practicaly right out the box. It performed flawlessly with no ftf's nor fte's and they were using up old ammo that the Sheriffs office donated.

He is 20 and this is his last year in Explorers. He is dead set to be a cop. So he will be going into the Academy next Summer. In the mean time he is doing his official road cert with the Dept here before hand. And continues to work as a Dispatcher until he turns 21. Here you cannot be LEO until you are 21 so he is biding his time. It appears now they want to send him to regional competition in Tennessee coming up. So he has to practice.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Good for him. His time in dispatch should be of great help to him when he goes on the road. He'll already be familiar with a lot of the procedures and what is needed as far as info goes in a lot of cases. He'll also already be familiar with some of the locations where frequent customers reside as well as many of their names.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    That is excellent and you should justificably be most proud.

Quite some achievement.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Way to raise 'em right. Congrats to the kid.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.Proverbs 22:6.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Super nice shooting w/ a GLOCK at 25 Yd.
    Give my congratulations to him.
    He earned a heartfelt pat on the back from all of us here that value and appreciate the shooting sports.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am proud of him. He worries me often. But he sort of seems to overcome a lot of things eventualy. Me? I wish he would go back to college. At some point I hope so even if he does want to be a cop. I got nothing against that but you know, now a days, being a smart cop is very important. Its a very highly technical field now. And if you want to get ahead its like any thing. More education is always good in any field. He has been doing this since he was a sophmore in High school. Ride alongs and SCALE competitions. So he is pretty well versed and has a lot of contacts. But education is something he needs to get as well. Not that he is not getting it in some form. I mean credentials to go with that.

I am most proud of him how he continues to overcome his Mothers death. Well... he tries too. See, his mother shot and killed herself when he was 10 years old. She did it on purpose. So he remains a victim. Always will be.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I am proud of him. He worries me often. But he sort of seems to overcome a lot of things eventualy. Me? I wish he would go back to college. At some point I hope so even if he does want to be a cop. I got nothing against that but you know, now a days, being a smart cop is very important. Its a very highly technical field now. And if you want to get ahead its like any thing. More education is always good in any field. He has been doing this since he was a sophmore in High school. Ride alongs and SCALE competitions. So he is pretty well versed and has a lot of contacts. But education is something he needs to get as well. Not that he is not getting it in some form. I mean credentials to go with that.

I am most proud of him how he continues to overcome his Mothers death. Well... he tries too. See, his mother shot and killed herself when he was 10 years old. She did it on purpose. So he remains a victim. Always will be.
    The college degree would definately help him move up the chain. I would advise that he do something other than criminal justice though. Something in computers, accounting, or languages would serve him very well.

Being a cop can be great fun, but every cop faces burnout at some point, and it is essential to have the skills and education that allow for different assignments.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

He seems to have an interest in both Music and History. So I was sort of pushing him to explore teaching one or the other. There can be some corelation between law enforcement and teaching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links