Hi Points?

This is a discussion on Hi Points? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey gents, So I have about 4 handguns that I've paid good money for (1911, Steyr, Ruger, and Tanfoglio) and turned up my nose at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Hi Points?

Hi Points?

Hey gents,
    So I have about 4 handguns that I've paid good money for (1911, Steyr, Ruger, and Tanfoglio) and turned up my nose at the Hi-Points. I was just being curious today so I youtubed Hi Points and came across this video Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test - YouTube. It is pretty impressive that the gun does have AK like qualities and still able to fire with a barrel blockage and being dropped in sandy mud. For about a grand I can own the whole spectrum of Hi Point firearms. They are not pretty to look at, but since I really only have 1 pistol in each caliber 9m-.45, I would think it fun to have back ups for when family/friends come up. I also have looked at their 995 carbines, which have great reviews for them. I am not a gun snob and don't really discriminate against brands, but I was wondering if their were any Hi Point owners that can offer some insight on them. The only complaints I can see is that owners may have to take fine grain sandpaper to the contact points to get rid of the FTE problem. Thanks gents
    -Linny

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have owned two, the C9 compact and the 995TS 9MM carbine, both on the ugly side IMO and I paid a whopping $350 for both (Used). I never had a problem with either, my son is now the owner of both and shoots the carbine often. The carbines are a big seller in 9MM at my LGS. Obama has driven the price up but they can still be had for $350+ depending on the model.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

My brother-in-law has a 9mm HiPoint...it is fairly accurate but it jams probably every 10-12 shots--so we were lucky to get through a whole clip without it jamming...I heard that could just be bad mags and if you have good mags they shoot with a lot less jams...it was pretty heavy though. If it was all I had to shoot then I would use it but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had other options, especially to let someone who is interested in getting into shooting use as a first gun. I'm waiting for their 1911 to come out and then I'll think about it:

I owned one hi point..for about a week. It was the first and last. The short list is the problems I didnt have. I guess it would have made a great club? If you want one to plkay with for some strange reason...go for it. If you would ever need to depend on it.. I would pass. How bad was it? The GS I bought it from wouldnt even buy it back after a week. Granted, I bought it knowing they had a bad reputation... i paid $120 bucks for it out the door NIB.... And I know why theey have that reputation too. I gave it to a friend who wanted to tinker with it and try and make it better ..... no idea what he did with it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by zeebra724 View Post
    my brother-in-law has a 9mm hipoint...it is fairly accurate but it jams probably every 10-12 shots--so we were lucky to get through a whole clip without it jamming...i heard that could just be bad mags and if you have good mags they shoot with a lot less jams...it was pretty heavy though. If it was all i had to shoot then i would use it but it wouldn't be my first choice if i had other options, especially to let someone who is interested in getting into shooting use as a first gun. I'm waiting for their 1911 to come out and then i'll think about it:

love itttttt
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I don't think I'd ever add a hi point to my collection. Its ugliness would fuse my eyes shut and I'm pretty tired of buying cheap guns only to sell them off a few weeks later.

Fine paperweights, I hear tell.

Spend your money wisely.

Or trotline weights.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I own a Hi Point 4095TS Carbine. It is the .40cal and I bought it to have fun shooting. My wife has arthritis in her hands has can't shoot our .40cal pistol for very long and she wanted a rifle. I wanted to stay with the .40cal ammo since we already have a few handguns in that caliber. I didn't want to spend a lot and the reviews were pretty good online for this carbine. I didn't expect a lot from the carbine, just as long as it went bang and was fairly accurate. So far it has performed well, especially for the price! No other carbine could match the price or the "bang for buck".

If you have a chance to fire one, go for it. It could put a smile on your face....
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

VIP Member
    While I personally have no desire to own one if that is the only thing someone can afford it certainly beats a sharp pointy stick.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have only held their pistols and they are clunky. But you will hear various reports ranging from they're junknand I never have or would own one, I owned one and it was junk to I owned one and it is great. I'll take the word of people actually own one more so over people who are just snobs about high points. But, they are also very budget oriented that are not meant to be the best of the best but an economical choice for self-defense.

I do own the 9mm carbine and use it as a plinker/trainer for new shooters. It has been reliable and kore accurate than it should be for the money.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

50,000 gangstas can't be wrong
    DetChris likes this.

I've never fired one, but here are my thoughts anyway. The main reason they're so cheap is because they operate on a simple blowback design, meaning that the slide and breech are not locked together when the round is fired. This is why the slide is so huge - the mass of it (plus the force of the recoil spring, which is limited to make it possible to rack the slide) is what holds the parts together long enough for the bullet to exit the barrel and the pressure to drop. There really isn't a simpler (read: less expensive) design to use for an auto pistol.

In theory, this can work just fine, if the machining of the simplified components is good enough. Whether it is or not, I can't say. Certainly they don't spend a lot on the cosmetics, but that doesn't necessarily mean the functional components are cheaped-out on.

One thing to be aware of is that this design is probably more finicky about ammo. Too high a pressure could open the slide sooner than intended, too low won't push the slide back with enough force to cycle properly. The locking systems used in more expensive handguns help to compensate for this. I suspect that many of the problems reported with these weapons come from this factor, and of course gun-snobbery can magnify such things into apparently-huge problems.

A coworker of mine has the carbine in 9mm and while ugly as sin, it goes bang for him reliably. As for their handguns, I have not owned one and do not personally know anyone who does. I would be leery though. Deserved or not they seem to have a very poor reputation.

What is funny is that most posts on this thread saying Hi-Points are no good are by people who never had one. They admit it. These are the ones who believe everything on the internet is true.

Hi-points are an ugly gun however they work very reliably. They are a good gateway gun for someone on limited income or just starting out. I had a Stallard HS9 pistol (Metal Pre Hi-P0int). It helped stared my gun collecting addiction. As did the Davis and Ravens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links