Smith and Wesson 659 or Sd40VE

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 659 or Sd40VE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a SD40VE that i purchased for home defense and to shoot. I have been offered a 9mm which is the Smith & Wesson ...

Thread: Smith and Wesson 659 or Sd40VE

Smith and Wesson 659 or Sd40VE

I have a SD40VE that i purchased for home defense and to shoot. I have been offered a 9mm which is the Smith & Wesson 659, All Steel. I am having a hard time trying to choose which gun to keep. Any one have a suggestion?

2. Remove Ads

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined.

Which one do you really like best? Which one speaks to you?

I would admire the Model 659 most for my purposes. I prefer its trigger design and its all-steel construction to the trigger and molded plastic of the SD40VE. I'm more enthused about the Model 659's looks.

On the other hand, the Model 659's now a discontinued model. With proper maintenance it would still likely outlast any future owner but at some point in future replacement parts could become more difficult to chase down more expensive when found.

The SD40VE is still cataloged and is in a caliber I admire more than I do the 9mm.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thank you for the info. It's just so hard to decide with them both being made by a reliable company. I do favor the 40 rounds better and I also was afraid to choose the 659 not knowing what it has been through. It seems legit but I might stick to the SD40VE because its newer. It just seems like you can't go wrong with either one.

VIP Member
    If your .40 is tried and true AND if you like it then I see no reason to trade.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Why can't you try to have/keep both.

I would personally take the 659.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I cannot speak for the 659 but I do own a SD40VE and really like it for the price. It has been reliable so far and is fun to shoot. Seems pretty accurate at the range. Not going to start a caliber war here......One is a .40cal and the other is a 9mm. Research and make you own decision on that issue.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky109 View Post
    I cannot speak for the 659 but I do own a SD40VE and really like it for the price. It has been reliable so far and is fun to shoot. Seems pretty accurate at the range. Not going to start a caliber war here......One is a .40cal and the other is a 9mm. Research and make you own decision on that issue.

^^^^^^^ You make some valid points^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I do not have a 659 OR the 40VE, but I do have a 9VE and a 6904, and have heard the 3rd. gen is just a bit better than the 2nd. gen smith metal series, so I would opt for the 659.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

That's a tough one. Have you had a chance to examine or shoot the 659? It seems like a personal-preference thing, so assuming it's in good shape, take your pick.

Not knowing much about the 659, personally I'd give a slight edge to the sd40ve, especially bought new. They're tough, good value for the money, and it would be easier to find parts or get service if you have a problem. If you ever go for concealed carry, the lighter weight would be a plus (though they're both on the large side for that). I tend to think the .40 is probably a better round, but the 9mm is perfectly good too. The accessory rail on the sd is nice to have for home defense, if you decide to put a light or laser sight on it. Maintenance is probably easier.

Links