A good gun store story

This is a discussion on A good gun store story within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was out running errands today on the west side of town, so I thought I'd drop in to my LGS on the offhand chance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: A good gun store story

A good gun store story

I was out running errands today on the west side of town, so I thought I'd drop in to my LGS on the offhand chance I could stumble across some 9mm ammo. I walked in and saw a smattering of various caliber handgun ammo, a good selection of .40 and a big empty space where the the 9mm should sit. As I sighed heavily and turned to wander around the store, one of the sales reps approached and asked if he could help. I told him that I'd merely stopped by to see if any 9mm was available, but did appreciate his asking. He went on to tell me that just yesterday they had sold the last few boxes of a pallet of 9mm that had been there for a week. I noted that there was a good selection of .40 on the shelf and he pointed out the remnants of a pallet out on the sales floor. Unfortunately, I don't shoot that. We chatted a bit about ammo availability and he seemed to think things were getting better, though they still couldn't manage to keep up with demand. He mentioned they had just received some bullets from Hornaday, but only received about 1/4 of their regular order. He said that's an improvement over what it has been.

I thanked him for the info and walked back to the gun cases to look at the 1911's that I can't afford. About 5 minutes later the guy approaches me and hands me a box of 20 Hornaday Critical Duty 9mm saying, "We usually keep some aside for people who buy a gun, but I can let you have this." He also told me to make sure I got on the email list so I can be notified whenever they get a big ammo shipment in. To be honest, I was just looking for target rounds and didn't really need 20 rounds of premium SD ammo that I haven't tested in my carry gun. None the less, I thanked him profusely and proceeded on my way. The stuff certainly wasn't cheap, $32 for 20, but I could hardly pass up such a sincere gesture.

He certainly didn't need to do that and could have put that lone box on the shelf and seen it taken in about 14 seconds. I'm probably one of the least sentimental consumers out there. I have no issue with big box stores, Walmart, goods from China, or internet sales. That said, I am pretty sure I will go out of my way to purchase my next gun and any other shooting supplies from these guys, even if I have to pay a few bucks more. The human element in that whole interaction was priceless.

For those passing through the Omaha area, the store is Guns Unlimited at 120th and L streets.
    GhostMaker, Lish, Tzadik and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure I'd have appreciated someone trying to sell me 20 rounds of 9mm for 32 bucks and wanting to add me to their spam list, but to each their own...
    atctimmy likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

So this clerk sold you 9mm at $1.75 per round, and convinced you to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? He deserves a raise!

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    So this clerk sold you 9mm at $1.75 per round, and convinced you to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? He deserves a raise!
    Yeah, but as he said, if the clerk had just put the box on the shelf, it would have sold for the same price. Handing it to him was still a nice gesture, IMHO.

And personally I would prefer EVERYBODY started selling at $1.75 per round. Then at least I'd be able to find some.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My wife & I travel to Omaha from time to time to visit her sister & family,so I will for sure stop in for a visit next trip.

Thanks for the heads up!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The likelihood of him selling a firearm and a box of ammo probably weren't as high as selling you the box of ammo. You were under no obligation to pay that price for any reason.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The going price in my area of SE Florida varies somewhere between $32 and $40 for a 25 round box.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Though I understand the OP's sentiment, I think he got taken. I seriously doubt the guy paid anywhere close to that. If he was being a good guy he'd have sold it at 5-10% above cost not double what he paid for it wholesale.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Though I understand the OP's sentiment, I think he got taken. I seriously doubt the guy paid anywhere close to that. If he was being a good guy he'd have sold it at 5-10% above cost not double what he paid for it wholesale.
    Disagree. It's because the prices are too low that there's so little product on the shelves.
    Tzadik and thebucketeer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    He didn't convince me to do anything. I could have politely declined. It was an honestly sincere gesture and I appreciated that the guy was going out of his way in an effort to make my trip to the store worthwhile. Just for grins, I googled to see the prices. Yeah, I probably paid more than average retail, but try to find that stuff in stock anywhere at $1/per round. It's not gonna happen. I don't see one $30 box of ammo (that included sales tax btw) bumping his monthly sales numbers all that much. That said, he might not have sold me much now, but he probably earned a good customer with more than average disposable income sometime down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Yeah, but as he said, if the clerk had just put the box on the shelf, it would have sold for the same price. Handing it to him was still a nice gesture, IMHO.

And personally I would prefer EVERYBODY started selling at $1.75 per round. Then at least I'd be able to find some.
    Exactly.

The guy wasn't being pushy, and I don't feel like I got "gouged" (I don't believe there is such a thing....the "right" price for anything is what you are willing to pay). I wasn't concerned with the price as much as I don't have much use for 20 rounds of carry ammo in an insufficient quantity to test through my guns. It's not target ammo, and I'm not gonna carry it unless I can put at least 50 rounds through each of my pistols. I guess I have a head start on my stock. :)

Edit: Just put the box away, it was actually 25 rounds, so that 's about 1.25/round. Not bad for Gucci designer ammo.
    maxwell97 likes this.

I just got a 25rnd box of Critical duty +p for $23.99, Its my carry ammo for the shield

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    The going price in my area of SE Florida varies somewhere between $32 and $40 for a 25 round box.
    Chuck, not sure if you have a Shoot Straight location near you but they are a big company in Florida and there prices are fairly normal, I got the same box of critical duty for $23 dollars last week

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Not sure you will be in business long selling any item at 5 or 10 % mark up from cost . this holds true if you have a storefront with the overhead. Now if you are selling out of your house with no overhead then maybe.
    Tzadik likes this.

Two of my local stores maintain Facebook pages & both will post their new stock there (especially ammo), which is nice to avoid getting on another email list. The larger of the two has now lifted ammo restrictions, which gives me hope things will be normal soon. The other has been selling "Speakeasy" ammo deals. When they were getting ammo, they'd put it aside for their regular customers & post on fb it was in. If you just walked in and asked for ammo, they'd say sorry- but if you asked for Speakeasy then you could buy it. Made me shake my head & laugh at the same time. I haven't seen that advertised lately, they've just been posting when they get ammo in, so I think their stock is increasing as well.

As far as with the OP, sure it was a higher price, which isn't unheard of these days, but I agree good gesture on the salesman's part to try and be sure the customer comes back next time rather than leave empty handed and feeling badly about the store.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Yeah sorry I was talking about this specific incident not about selling the whole store at 10% above wholesale. My bad.

Looks like in 2010-11 ammo was marked up from 12% to 25% or $2-5/box. So I'm not that far off on general mark up pre-panic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links