I know .22lr is scarce, but darn!

This is a discussion on I know .22lr is scarce, but darn! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Found a guy with 3 boxes of Winchester M22 rounds, 1k rounds a box. Was trying to interest him in a trade til he said ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I know .22lr is scarce, but darn!

Found a guy with 3 boxes of Winchester M22 rounds, 1k rounds a box. Was trying to interest him in a trade til he said he wants to trade it for a stripped lower AR.

So I asked what he would be asking if he wanted cash per box and he says $100 dollars a box.

Sorry, I think I'll just keep buying my wife ammo at the range until it comes down.

Retail on that box is 49 dollars, dont think I dont look around prior to buying. We're screwing each other out of the business...

Good Lord!!!

...last I bought at WallyWorld a coupla years ago was 17.99/550...times have changed for sure...

That is hilarious. I hope you laughed in his face.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

He'll probably find a buyer. And it would be worth it to some people, if they can't find it anywhere else. The big retailers are just keeping their prices too low, IMHO - people are seeing it as a bargain and grabbing up everything they see. If they brought the price to from $50 to $65 it would probably stop the shortage.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Supply & demand gents, supply & demand. I recall gas for $.28 a gallon & jobs that paid $1.45 an hour. The ticket stub from my first (good) R&R concert says "$1.75" for a pretty good seat. If you want .22 LR ammo, pay the piper. If not? Don't. IMHO, .22 ammo will NEVER AGAIN cost less than ~$.07 a round.
    rogertc1 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Supply & demand gents, supply & demand. I recall gas for $.28 a gallon & jobs that paid $1.45 an hour. The ticket stub from my first (good) R&R concert says "$1.75" for a pretty good seat. If you want .22 LR ammo, pay the piper. If not? Don't. IMHO, .22 ammo will NEVER AGAIN cost less than ~$.07 a round.
    Agreed. "Die Hard" is one of my favorite movies, and I always laugh when the camera pans across a gas station sign that says REGULAR $0.78 (or something in that neighborhood). Just be glad for the things that are still affordable, like bread...

Out of curiosity - who was that first good band?
    rogertc1 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Out of curiosity - who was that first good band?
    Foghat
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    It's false supply and demand at work. All that really happened is a bunch of people bought an epic **** ton of 22's anticipating a scare run. Then some other people started buying it as it hit the shelves for higher prices thinking they could unload them for outrageous prices for huge profits and retire in a year. The price will drop substantially in time and those who speculated on the price will be left holding a lot of 22LR ammo that is worth about 200% less than they paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Foghat
    Nice! The good ol' days (slightly before my time). Sad these days, I can hardly think of a band I'd cross the street to see.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbilliesRule View Post
    It's false supply and demand at work. All that really happened is a bunch of people bought an epic **** ton of 22's anticipating a scare run. Then some other people started buying it as it hit the shelves for higher prices thinking they could unload them for outrageous prices for huge profits and retire in a year. The price will drop substantially in time and those who speculated on the price will be left holding a lot of 22LR ammo that is worth about 200% less than they paid for it.
    Some truth in that, but there's no such thing as false demand. People are willing to pay a lot for the near future, and long-term there are more guns to feed, and more importantly manufacturers and retailers have realized that they were underpricing before. It will happen gradually (too gradually, hence the shortage), but SRP is going to go up and stay up, permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Nice! The good ol' days (slightly before my time). Sad these days, I can hardly think of a band I'd cross the street to see.
    Bob Seger still puts on an amazing show. Saw him last year at Staples Center with the old man.

Sad part is I would have jumped at it for 40-45. Probably had bought two of them for $100.

But I wont even make that offer now that I know what he wants for a single box

I was at a local hardware store yesterday to get a grease gun. Just for grins I thought I would check-out their sporting goods section. They had bricks (500 rounds) of Remington 22 LR for $20/each. There was a limit of four boxes so I bought four. Supposedly they received six cases of the ammo that morning (shortly before I arrived), and when I walked back before I left they were gone. It was an amazing case of dumb luck - just being at the right place at the right time. The funny thing is that before now I would not have even thought to look here for ammo.

Anyway, the kids have been wanting to go to range and shoot. At least now we can do a lot of shooting with the 22's and a little more with other guns (using crazy expensive ammo).

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I was at a local hardware store yesterday to get a grease gun. Just for grins I thought I would check-out their sporting goods section. They had bricks (500 rounds) of Remington 22 LR for $20/each. There was a limit of four boxes so I bought four. Supposedly they received six cases of the ammo that morning (shortly before I arrived), and when I walked back before I left they were gone. It was an amazing case of dumb luck - just being at the right place at the right time. The funny thing is that before now I would not have even thought to look here for ammo.

Anyway, the kids have been wanting to go to range and shoot. At least now we can do a lot of shooting with the 22's and a little more with other guns (using crazy expensive ammo).
    Nice score! And it illustrates the reason for the shortage as well. If product is flying off the shelf, it means the price is too low. If the price had been $30, maybe you'd have only bought two or three boxes and left some for somebody else. Note that I'm not saying you SHOULD have bought less - I'd have done exactly the same - I'm just saying the retail pricing is screwed up.

HAHA and apparently I didnt need to tell him he's whacked cause my non response has prompted him to ask what is in my price range

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links