Just watched the move "The Purge"

Just watched the move "The Purge"

This is a discussion on Just watched the move "The Purge" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So as I'm sitting here watching this movie, it gets me thinking about human psychology and violence and all that comes in our 'human nature'. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Just watched the move "The Purge"

  1. #1
    Member Array ScubaSteve08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    171

    Just watched the move "The Purge"

    So as I'm sitting here watching this movie, it gets me thinking about human psychology and violence and all that comes in our 'human nature'. I get to thinking about what people would do without the shackles of law and consequences "Would I be capable of doing something like this?". We carry daily with the intent to defend ourselves and with that intent we have to overcome certain mental obstacles such as fear, indecision, or just plain lack of experience. I'm sure my mind would be going a million miles a minute if I was ever in such a situation where I would have to use my weapon because 1. I've never had to use deadly force. 2. I've never even come close to being in such a situation where I could say "glad I avoided that one!". In fact, the only people who would have the skills and training are those who have been in the military, law enforcement, or personal experience. Mind you I'm not saying that these folks are heartless people, what I am saying is that they have probably been through been through some of the situations that we discuss and have a far better understanding of what goes on, what to do, and how they usually turn out. That is why we usually turn the these people when we seek advice as well.

    Anyways back to my point. People in general tend to respect the law and order that we have here in society and even when presented with opportunities to get away anything at any particular point in time, some choose not to. Now whether that be based on morals, fear of getting caught, paranoia, or just a plain old fashion good person, it varies from person to person. Me personally I've done some things that I've never gotten caught for but I was paranoid as can be about someone finding out for a while afterwards. We all get angry, harbor some animosity towards other individuals, or just get downright furious at others and act out. My point is that we don't act out at all anymore and we harbor our true feelings inside in order to cooperate with society's rules. I remember if a kid was picking on you, you met him at the flagpole after class and you two duked it out right then and there! Now it's go tell your parents, who tells your counselor, who provides some sort of intervention, then basically the two kids still go at it anyways. The big point being that as a society we avoid violence at all costs because 'it's a bad thing'. Here's one for example, you catch your significant other with another person, what do you do? Do you go up to their face and 'educate' the person (not the significant other) on how angry you are and how much of a piece of crap they are to you and what you would like to do to them? Or just let them have it like every cell is screaming in your body to do so? Being that there are now lawful consequences for just about every act of violence people curb their tendencies to lash out to avoid the police, jail, or whatever may occur as a result. It's just too damn big of a mess to deal with so it get's bottled up inside and later down the road becomes an experience or forever bothers you and you never get over it.

    I guess the final question is, can violence stem from actually holding back until you can't anymore and it comes out in one big bang? By being the good law abiding citizen can you inadverdantly be brewing something bigger? Honestly this is just what's going on in my mind and is solely an opinion not to be taken as fact or accusations of anyone in particular.


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array ANGLICO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Posts
    3,670
    Regardless of that, it is an anti-Tea Party/anti-small Goberment useless piece of trash film from the Hollywood......JAs/donkeys......., um, ah, um, people, who hate all of us for the 2A, and the fact that we live our 2A God Given (not Guberment given....) Rights!

    It really is a piece of trash film in it's messages. Entertaining, well, you decide.

    Edit update. Just wanted to add this: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...tea-party-nra/
    Dan060 likes this.
    Socialism Kills! Time proven, with a very large body count! We are a Constitutional Republic....... not a Democracy, get it correct!

    Don't be mistaken for a Gecko45: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

    Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTdp-Dd30

    ANGLICO Images

  3. #3
    Member Array ScubaSteve08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Regardless of that, it is an anti-Tea Party/anti-small Goberment useless piece of trash from the Hollywood............., um, ah, um, people, who hate all of us for the 2A, and the fact that we live our 2A God Given (not Guberment given....) Rights!

    It really is a piece of trash film.
    Aside from that, I would just like to examine the possibilities of what I was talking about. What better way to defend yourself than to understand your surroundings and the people that inhabit it? I'm just trying to wrap my head around violence in general. These "Anti-'s" you speak about, would you say that they are for that society of avoiding violence at any costs? Maybe that idea of a 'violence free society' is destined to implode on itself down the road?

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,928
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Regardless of that, it is an anti-Tea Party/anti-small Goberment useless piece of trash film from the Hollywood......JAs/donkeys......., um, ah, um, people, who hate all of us for the 2A, and the fact that we live our 2A God Given (not Guberment given....) Rights!

    It really is a piece of trash film in it's messages. Entertaining, well, you decide.

    Edit update. Just wanted to add this: Critics: 'The Purge' an attack on Tea Party, NRA | Fox News
    It is just a movie dude.......

    I see the message as this. The government is not there to help you. All citizens can be armed. Police will not arrive to help you. The onus is on the citizen for home and self defense.

    Now, isn't that the message we preach?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array blitzburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    3,738
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    SNIP

    I guess the final question is, can violence stem from actually holding back until you can't anymore and it comes out in one big bang? By being the good law abiding citizen can you inadverdantly be brewing something bigger? Honestly this is just what's going on in my mind and is solely an opinion not to be taken as fact or accusations of anyone in particular.
    Yes and we've seen it happen plenty of times. I'm sure around the nation, people "snap" every day but not everybody does it in a way that involves shooting the place up or other "news worthy" ways.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array blitzburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    3,738
    Also, thanks for not giving out any spoilers. I haven't seen the movie yet but will soon. The reviews I've seen seem to be pretty mixed and IMO the concept would make a better book than movie.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array sixgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    indiana usa
    Posts
    2,563
    I just wonder sometimes that when we have movies like this. And some nutjob sees it and then goes on a rampage. But what do I know its just a movie and we all know Hollywood is full of entertaining B.S. Stay safe and carry on.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I see the message as this. The government is not there to help you. All citizens can be armed. Police will not arrive to help you. The onus is on the citizen for home and self defense.
    I applaud your optimism. Your message is spot on. However, that is the opposite if the intended message of the movie. The movie tells its audience, "see what happens when the gov. is not there to protect you? Without gov. control of your safety, chaos will ensue."

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I applaud your optimism. Your message is spot on. However, that is the opposite if the intended message of the movie. The movie tells its audience, "see what happens when the gov. is not there to protect you? Without gov. control of your safety, chaos will ensue."
    Having not seen the movie I may be wrong (has to happen eventually, right?) but I am going to assume the hero (Ethan Hawke) prevails. If that is the case than isn't suntzu's take on it closer to the mark? Now if the guy's whole family is slaughtered than I'm with you.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    The big point being that as a society we avoid violence at all costs because 'it's a bad thing'.

    Here's one for example, you catch your significant other with another person, what do you do? Do you go up to their face and 'educate' the person (not the significant other) on how angry you are and how much of a piece of crap they are to you and what you would like to do to them?
    Scuba did you just come up from a deep dive without decompressing? As for your example, almost as much blood has been shed over the infidelity as has been due to religious beliefs!

    There is EVIL in this world! Maybe some group therapy, and not the gun range, would help but you need to stop drink the koolaid!

    Again to the example, I doubt if I would grant a three step favor to the guy with hair color yellow!

    Actually I'd pack her bag and send her on her way!
    Secret Spuk likes this.


    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,900
    Interesting how some movies invoke such introspection. Dumb and Dumber and the same effect on me. The film is steeped in thought provoking commentary. This scene, for example, contemplates the base human reactions and raw emotions that are often hidden by the thin veneer of society - remove that veneer, and even the most simple tools of refinement become implements of violence.



    Brilliant. Simply brilliant.
    StripesDude likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array wdbailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    604
    The movie is a pretty ham fisted and crude slap at the NRA and gun culture in general. If you can't catch that from just watching the trailers then you are giving Ethan Hawke way too much leeway

  13. #13
    Member Array tele_pathic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    southern Utah
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Regardless of that, it is an anti-Tea Party/anti-small Goberment useless piece of trash film from the Hollywood......JAs/donkeys......., um, ah, um, people, who hate all of us for the 2A, and the fact that we live our 2A God Given (not Guberment given....) Rights!

    It really is a piece of trash film in it's messages. Entertaining, well, you decide.

    Edit update. Just wanted to add this: Critics: 'The Purge' an attack on Tea Party, NRA | Fox News
    Angelico, I can't tell but are you being sarcastic?

    How many of y'all have this movie? I'll reserve my judgment until I see it. I will say, though, that I thought Justin Timberlake's movie In Time was produced by OWS'ers. It was a definite 99%-er type movie.

  14. #14
    Ex Member Array DetChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,625
    This movie sounds like a rental. The premise is silly too. I'm not being dishonest by saying I never wanted to kill anyone in my entire life. Maybe I'm not normal?

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,048
    Have not seen the movie... Just my humble opinion but I'm of two thoughts. First I believe there is untamed, unrestrained evil amongst the human population. Put that with a complete sociopath, and we get Adolph Hitler, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, The inqisition, conquistadors... and others. There are individuals who wake up every morning and decide how they will take and or hurt other humans. Evil exists. My second thought is that individual human beings posses a strong survival drive. We also have a strong tribal connection drive. Modern society has and is designed to suppress thise drives. But has resulted in some communities to support, and justify these drives, while completely buffered other comunities into a false sense of security to the point they lose much of their survival instincts.

    The common denominator in the entire conversation is violence. Society teaches that violence is a bad word. IMO it's just a word. Good or bad depending on the context of the conversation. Like a firearm has become a bad tool. But it's just a tool good or bad depending on the context it is used. Making words and tools bad IMO is very 1984ish new-speak.

    I will see this movie the " THE PURGE ". I'll probably take it with a grain of salt. Just like any, and everything out of Hollywood these days. I'm sure the writers, directors, and producers are all atwitter and patting each other on the back, grinning and counting the money. Like they have come up with something new. And the big government people and the anti gun crowd are all feeling validated by this film. And if some mentally unstable character('s) declare their own purge they all will say that they cant be responsible for what a mentally unstable person does. But blame the gun (if he use one) as the cause of the tragedy.

    I have a rant to go with this subject but I wont subject the membership... Cause it's not pretty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

guns in the purge
,
guns used in the movie the purge
,

guns used in the purge

,

guns used in the purge movie

,
revolver used in the purge
,
shotgun from the purge
,

shotgun used in the purge

,
the purge firearms
,
the purge guns
,
the purge guns used
,
the purge revolver
,
the purge shotgun
Click on a term to search for related topics.