First Person Shooters?

This is a discussion on First Person Shooters? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Go Glock Another good way to help one understand tactics is to play paintball. There is nothing like playing for the first ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Person Shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    Another good way to help one understand tactics is to play paintball. There is nothing like playing for the first time and hearing rounds buzz over your head and bark from trees hitting your body while hiding behind cover. I think it can help people understand the facts of moving and shooting and why you need to do it.
    I agree with you Go Glock but would like to add a few things too. I've been playing paintball now for 13 years. Paintball is good for learning angles/lanes of attack. How to utilize cover properly, communication, and concentrating while under stress. But paintball is NOT simunitions, and it cannot be considered force on force, unless you are with a group of players that will obide by force on force rules (the are FOF rules, but they govern how the game is played). I do things with my Karnivour Autococker, that I wouldn't dare do with my CCW gun. My Karnivour is capable of firing at 32 balls per second, which translates to firing as fast as I pull the trigger. I have a 200 round Halo hopper that allows me to dump paint on a bunker until I can move to a better vantage point. I carry five 150 round pods on a body harnass for my reloads. I use a low pressure nitorgen system that allows me to shoot fast, without my gun freezing up. paintball guns have no recoil, either. I can sit behind a bunker and rain paint on a player until I get bored, I hit him, or I'm out.

You learn tactics, but paintball shouldn't be mistaken for actual training. I know that's what you were referring to, but I just wanted to add my two cents.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    FoF is much more than a couple rules, though. Proper FoF done with simunitions usually involves quite a bit of scripting, remembering lines, if-then reactions that cover every possible outcome... That is one of the reasons its tough for departments to afford - to be done properly you need role-players (who need to be paid), simunition firearms, the ammo, a place to do it (may have to be rented), etc. It's endless. Razorblade, I'm sure this is what you meant, I just wanted to clarify. haha ;)
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

FoF Rule Number One:
    For a quick 'kill', aim for the junk.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    fof can be done rather cheaply... We use academy students for role players, local property owners allow us to use their vacant property.

We also will team up with neighboring depts., for extra bodies. We are the bad guys/role players, then we switch. We also use the FD guys, they get a kick out of it.

The biggest expense is paying the o/t to get guys to come in on their off day.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    LOL

Thanks for the input guys.

All I'm wanting is a realistic FPS. You'd likely have a choice of a snubby, a mid-sized, and a full-sized handgun, all popular makes.

I guess it would take some doing to program in malfs as well, but it would be needed.

I think we can dispense with most of the mundane stuff as Razorblade suggested. We know that there will be an attack. It just won't come from the same spot each time, and it will come quickly.

It's not so much a SIM as an interactive learning tool I guess.

Sixto, I do not stop training during winter months. Last year, on other boards, I asked how many people actually train while wearing gloves. That's beside the point.

You ever been hit with a frozen paintball? I have. It hurts. They break skin after ripping your coat. Luckily, they never penetrated.

I'm not looking for a substitute; I'm looking for an addition. Shooting at paper only gets you so far, and there are only a few who are dedicated enough to use FoF training, or paintball guns for practice, or whatnot, especially during winter. I am indeed one. I'm also likely the only one in my county who is willing since my training partner moved to TN.

Also, as was brought up, it could be educational for those who do not carry and/or think it's glamorous.

Josh <><

Try This...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try a game that goes by the name "Operation Flashpoint---Cold War Crisis". Released 2001 for mature audiences. Game should be about $10.00
    ------
    Operation Flashpoint is a tactical combat action war game. It offers the player an unprecedented freedom of action integrating command of large squads and use of any available vehicles with total immersion. Player can experience the best cold war military equipment - infantry, mobile, armor and aircraft - in large and detailed 3D environment.
    ------
    The game contains a single nonlinear campaign, built in full featured mission editor and multiplayer combat.
    Oh yeah... for P.C.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've played an array of FPS. Granted I kind of quit playing them frequently once I entered the real world, but I've never really learned anything useful for CCW from them. They can teach you to apply some concepts like movement ("slicing the pie" works well in most of these games) and tactics (like "lanes of fire") but that's really stretching it.

I would enjoy a more technical, realistic shooting game however just as an entertainment.

Ok... I'm looking into engines right now. The free version of the Doom engine looks like the best bet as it's open source.

I really don't know whether I'm up to this after all these years but I might try it and see if I still like it. I think I would make this freeware. Just depends on the quality and whether I can do it as I envision.

I guess how much "training" you'd get out of it is up to you, your individual makeup.

Josh <><

P.S. Ain't promising anything. J.S.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I do like the idea. Were it available, I'd want one.
    The problem comes when you ask "is there a market". Probably not. The only way I could see such a program distributed is as freeware to a limited population.

What percentage of those that carry play video games, and who else would care?

I've heard of "build your own game" programs, and I've seen a FPS that someone created using one. That might be an option but it might prove dificult to program all the peramiters.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I say this...Operation Flashpoint---Cold War Crisis will make you think of being stealthy, and your reaction time better be quick ! But what fun!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    FoF is much more than a couple rules, though. Proper FoF done with simunitions usually involves quite a bit of scripting, remembering lines, if-then reactions that cover every possible outcome... That is one of the reasons its tough for departments to afford - to be done properly you need role-players (who need to be paid), simunition firearms, the ammo, a place to do it (may have to be rented), etc. It's endless. Razorblade, I'm sure this is what you meant, I just wanted to clarify. haha ;)
    Actually, that is exactly what I meant. Also, probably the most important thing would have to be insurance and whether or not insurance will cover your use of sims.

Yah know Josh, the more I think about this, the more I'm interested. My thumbs are twitching.

Again, no promises. The last game I wrote was for an old pre-net BBS. I used BASIC.

I did make my own Doom levels however. I just need the engine. I don't know about the sprites: I used Doom's sprites.

I'm going to try it in my spare time. I can't promise when, or even if, it will be out. I got to thinking about it and I don't think anyone will take me up on the idea, so I'll have to program the thing. Something about "if you want something done right..." comes to mind.

We'll see what I can find, and what I can schedule in.

Thanks all,

Josh <><

I would use it!

Great idea and please make it happen.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I don't know if I'm good enough is what it boils down to.

If I am, or if I can learn in a reasonable time, I would say look for a release in 6mos to a year.

To make the CHEAP first person shooters like CTU: Marine Sharpshooter, it takes something like four people 4 months.

We'll see. I just don't want to make a promise I can't keep, so no promises.

Josh <><

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links