First Person Shooters?

This is a discussion on First Person Shooters? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a huge fan of games. I still stay up to 2 in the morning playing Halo online. While games can be used to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Person Shooters?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I am a huge fan of games. I still stay up to 2 in the morning playing Halo online.

While games can be used to teach certain skill sets (the military uses them quite successfully) I still regard them as just that... games.

I for one play to escape from reality. No my reality is not bad... quite the opposite in fact. Hey where else can you sit on top of a cliff and snipe someone a 1000 yards out.

Just good clean fun.

I play games for fun and go to the range for practice.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

Joshua,

my recommendation is to use the Unreal engine. I've seen some very realistic mods done on it (check out Infiltration for Unreal Tourney http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/). Pick up a copy of Unreal 2004 DVD Special Edition. It comes with the Unreal Editor as well as a second DVD dedicated to teaching you the editor. You should be able to find it new at your local electronics Giant (like Best Buy, Circuit City, EB, Fry's Etc...) for under $20.

Games may be useful for some training (they are great for developing Hand-Eye coordination), but a Sim is a Sim is a Sim, you know? I know I have a blast playing them; from the fantastical (Doom3) to the ultra real (like Infiltration).

Good luck!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Thanks.

I'm looking at the doom engine simply because of minimum hardware requirements. Some still run old tech. For example, I have a 566mHz processor with 128mb RAM (I'm not going to invest anymore in that area). I'm building a new comp, true, but there are still people out there with less powerful machines. I'm playing to the least common denominator for the largest coverage.

Thanks again,

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Thanks.

I'm looking at the doom engine simply because of minimum hardware requirements. Some still run old tech. For example, I have a 566mHz processor with 128mb RAM (I'm not going to invest anymore in that area). I'm building a new comp, true, but there are still people out there with less powerful machines. I'm playing to the least common denominator for the largest coverage.

Thanks again,

Josh <><
    With such low requirements many mid to high levels systems will not even be able to run it. Games have actually started to plateau and the insanely increrasing requirements have levelled out.

In all honesty I did not even know anyone was still running a 566. You probably can't even get the processor anymore. Stepping up to the Unreal engine mentioned above would not be taxing on systems even a couple years old.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've got the old Doom running on my new machine (XP SP 2), no problems here.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

The biggest benifit to legal CCW holders and LEOs from FPS games is the amount of idiots who play them. Like Hollywood, 99% of video games teach behaviours that will get you killed quickly in a real gunfight.

Shots coming your way - CHARGE!!!!

Need to take cover - Hide behind that sheetrock wall!

Chance of getting hit - Don't worry, a 9mm only will do 20% damage!

Need to hit the target - Point in the general direction and spray!

Saw your target go down? - Obviously he is out, he is only a level 1 boss and you hit him with your 45.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    There is one game that does a better job of instilling a desire to take cover than any other I know of. Red Orchestra http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php is a WWII Easter Front game available for $20. It is 99% an online game and has fairly low system requirements.
    Were can I get this game? I've looked at the website and it sounds like it would be a great Xmas gift for me from my wife. I can not find a place that sells it or were you can order it online.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Were can I get this game? I've looked at the website and it sounds like it would be a great Xmas gift for me from my wife. I can not find a place that sells it or were you can order it online.
    I see it on the shelves at Target. You should be able to buy it through the website for download or throguh Steam. It is also at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/DESTINEER-Red-...8&s=videogames

Look for Musketeer on the RTR armor servers if you get it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links