1911 Help

1911 Help

This is a discussion on 1911 Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I got the itch to do something to my Springfield Loaded Champion. I have debated having the frame bobbed and have decided to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1911 Help

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

1911 Help

OK, I got the itch to do something to my Springfield Loaded Champion. I have debated having the frame bobbed and have decided to go for it. Any suggestions as to what else to have done at the same time? Th Loaded Champion is already a somewhat "custom" gun from the factory and is a reliable carry weapon now. I am not a match target shooter, just a recreational shooter and everyday carry guy.

I know the bob job will cost me a new CT set of grips, I can offset that cost by selling the old grips. At some point am I better off trading up to a new firearm?

Also, gunsmith recommendations would be helpful.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    possibilities are endless. At the very least I would have reliability work done

WRT a good smiff...there are only a handful i would trust to work on my pistols.

Where's all the 1911 experts?

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Well, I'm no expert, but I'd say go for it if that's what you want.
    Personally, I don't like to dick with something that works, except sights or grip panels. The " Bob " job is not for me, and I see not enough practical value in it to off set the cost.
    dV8r likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Personally I like my Kimber the way it is..to each his own though...and I might want to sell it someday..

I tend not to modify my carry guns except to add night sights or change grips. If it is a competition gun or a range gun go for it with a good gunsmith. The best local gunsmith in my area is quoting around nine months to a year turn around for any work to be done on any gun.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

OD*
    I'm certainly no expert, but when I read this;
    The Loaded Champion is already a somewhat "custom" gun from the factory and is a reliable carry weapon now.
    That kinda said it all to me.
    Last edited by OD*; June 11th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    deadguy, Stevew and glockman10mm like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

No 1911 'expert' can tell you what to do with your own gun. You need to research what you like and what you think would please you. Try holding different 1911s with different grip textures. Think about what sights you want. Do you want a different grip safety, thumb safety, slide stop, bushing, serrated slide top and/or rear, flush cut slide stop and sunk frame, flush cut and crowned barrel (11 or 45 degrees), blended magwell, carry bevel, slide bevel, bobnose, french border cuts, blended rear of slide, new trigger (long, medium or short), round butt frame, bobtail frame, lowered and flared ejection port with live-round cutout, etc etc etc?
    OD* likes this.

HTO
    I got a champion operator that had a trigger job on it. Breaks at 4lbs dead on. Think standard is 4.5-5.5?? Also almost no take up or drag and a short reset. It's completely changed my accuracy. I'm not a great shooter but this gun is VERY forgiving of my shortcomings. VERY. But then again, that's what I shoot best with,b ut I'd consider getting your trigger fit perfectly to your preferences if it's not already there. That's something that even on a high quality stock gun is still a personal feeling, like a bobtail.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd suggest the Springfield Custom Shop do the work.

While it's in I'd opt for an additional dehorn and possibly refinishing in Black Armory Kote as you're going to have to have the gun refinished for the frame work, unless it's bare stainless.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

While it's in I'd opt for an additional dehorn and possibly refinishing in Black Armory Kote as you're going to have to have the gun refinished for the frame work, unless it's bare stainless.
    JD, you need to post a picture of your beautiful USGI in the "I'd rather read about the 1911" thread.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Yeah, JD. Why you holding out?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

I plan on having them do the work, I talked to them yesterday, they have an eight week turnaround which is pretty quick.. It is a stainless model with the usual marks from daily carry. And the "stupid" scratch, LOL. I have not measured the pull, it is supposedly 5.5lbs and I have given thought to having it lightened to 4lbs. Also considering mag well beveling.

I would have thought all the options Deadguy brought up would have held you a good six months thinking all that through. Personally I would think about the trigger job and dehorn. I would think that would bring the most fun and comfort for dollar spent.

How does it shoot? Do you dislike the trigger now?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links