Super cheap, easy and lightweight target holders

This is a discussion on Super cheap, easy and lightweight target holders within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Donnie D's Super Easy Cheap Target Holders - YouTube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Super cheap, easy and lightweight target holders

"When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Well, that's just cooler 'n a fan!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well, that's just cooler 'n a fan!
    Thanks. Sometimes the best ideas are just sooooo simple.
    Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    back when we had real metal coat hangers, they worked well too. Them silly molded plastic ones don't straighten out too good.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    back when we had real metal coat hangers, they worked well too. Them silly molded plastic ones don't straighten out too good.
    You got that right friend. Every time I try to pull the bends out of one of those things they just break.
    Great idea though. If you can find some of the heavier wire ones, I'm sure they would work pretty good.
    Thanks,
    Donnie D

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    another thing to consider is stocking up on the "political yard signs". Mrs surv and I are "active" during political season (usually campaigning for our locals) and we generally end up with a large number of the wire brackets and that nice plastic cardboard "target board. You can tape paper to them, or just stick shoot n see's one em. If the grounds to hard, just poke holes with a 60d nail hammered in.
    StormRhydr likes this.

66765_10151232482029093_357825136_n.jpg

It's China, Humans cheaper than metal or wood stand.

Cool idea. Did you have a chance to use them? I'm curious if they are strong enough to hold up to heavier calibers like .357, .40, or .45, using the foam backed "shoot-n-sees".

By the way, I like your channel. Good videos. I wasn't able to "like" this one because I don't have a youtube account, and apparently you have to have one (and be signed in) to be able to like videos. If I ever get into youtube I'll definitely subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Cool idea. Did you have a chance to use them? I'm curious if they are strong enough to hold up to heavier calibers like .357, .40, or .45, using the foam backed "shoot-n-sees".

By the way, I like your channel. Good videos. I wasn't able to "like" this one because I don't have a youtube account, and apparently you have to have one (and be signed in) to be able to like videos. If I ever get into youtube I'll definitely subscribe.
    I haven't used these when shooting larger calibers, but I'll post the results when I do. However, just like when it is windy, they may want to move around on you. It is best to push the rod into the ground until the target touches the ground, or just use two rods, one on each side of the target. Thanks for your interest.
    Donnie D

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    66765_10151232482029093_357825136_n.jpg

It's China, Humans cheaper than metal or wood stand.
    I know that guy. Dar Win Ful

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    I know that guy. Dar Win Ful
    Tough job.
    Donnie D

I call my favorite uncle, "William Tell". He told me a true story about when he was a teen in the 1950s. He had a .22LR rifle and he and his buddy would go over the hill behind the house and target practice. My genius uncle had his buddy hold up a 2x4 as a target. Of course he shot the other kid accidently and there was a big deal with the parents and police.

I crack up every time we get together, but funny, he never laughs.

Nice idea, but you have to make sure you are near your backstop or you will get ground skippers due to the low angle. Thats why I use the PVC pipe and 1x2's to hold my stuff up.

A .22 will drop about 5" at 100yd and more after it passes through a target and gets slowed. So most of my targets at 25yd are 6' off the ground so they impact the berm at 100yd behind.

If I stuck these in the ground at 25yd, even shooting prone, I would be skipping and ricochet all over the place.

BTW, coat hangers. Free most of the time :) Good source for wire for these L brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    I call my favorite uncle, "William Tell". He told me a true story about when he was a teen in the 1950s. He had a .22LR rifle and he and his buddy would go over the hill behind the house and target practice. My genius uncle had his buddy hold up a 2x4 as a target. Of course he shot the other kid accidently and there was a big deal with the parents and police.

I crack up every time we get together, but funny, he never laughs.
    That's pretty funny. Bet he wouldn't get off as lightly today.
    Donnie D

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Nice idea, but you have to make sure you are near your backstop or you will get ground skippers due to the low angle. Thats why I use the PVC pipe and 1x2's to hold my stuff up.

A .22 will drop about 5" at 100yd and more after it passes through a target and gets slowed. So most of my targets at 25yd are 6' off the ground so they impact the berm at 100yd behind.

If I stuck these in the ground at 25yd, even shooting prone, I would be skipping and ricochet all over the place.

BTW, coat hangers. Free most of the time :) Good source for wire for these L brackets.
    Good point. I don't shoot without a backstop. There is a huge pile of dirt behind the targets in the vid.
    Donnie D
    Donnie D's Fun Shootin Today - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links