Zastava M88: Considering it. Reliable after a few hundred rounds?

This is a discussion on Zastava M88: Considering it. Reliable after a few hundred rounds? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good Afternoon, I'm considering a Zastava M88, which are available for less than $300 new. This all steel model seems to require break-in. Does anyone ...

Thread: Zastava M88: Considering it. Reliable after a few hundred rounds?

Good Afternoon,

I'm considering a Zastava M88, which are available for less than $300 new. This all steel model seems to require break-in. Does anyone know how reliable it is after a few hundred rounds? Anyone ever had one? I'd like to avoid the issues I had with my 1911, which I never would have bought if I had known what I know now.

Stay safe.

-czfellow

I've been shooting for about 30 years and in that time I've learned that with firearms you almost always get what you pay for. If you want this as a carry or HD gun then you are taking a big gamble.

There are other budget makers out there that have a good reputation at your same price point. I STRONGLY suggest a S&W Sigma or S&W HD series pistol instead of what you are looking at. Another good pistol company that's not too pricey is Bersa. Check them out.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

Other comments?

Anyone ever have one of these Zastava M88 pistols?

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I've been shooting for about 30 years and in that time I've learned that with firearms you almost always get what you pay for. If you want this as a carry or HD gun then you are taking a big gamble.

There are other budget makers out there that have a good reputation at your same price point. I STRONGLY suggest a S&W Sigma or S&W HD series pistol instead of what you are looking at. Another good pistol company that's not too pricey is Bersa. Check them out.
    That said, though, some darned good foreign manufacturers are cheap simply because they lack name recognition in the US. I know nothing about this Serbian company, but I wouldn't assume that S&W's quality is better.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

I have owned other products by EAA and I can say that they are TERRIBLE to deal with if you have any problems. From doing the homework for you on the gun I can tell you that it has a 10 1/2 lb trigger pull. <---- That STINKS. Most reviews are split. It appears to be reliable for some and crappy for others.

Having had a bad experience once before with EAA I strongly suggest you spend your money elsewhere. As I said above, there are quite a few good guns in the $300 price range. The Sigma is a VERY reliable gun with great ergonomics and can usually be had in the low $300s. The Sigma is also made by Smith and Wesson, not by some fly by night importer (EAA). If you do have a problem or if you need support (like buying a holster to carry it) the S&W will be easy to deal with while the EAA pistol will be a nightmare.

I'll say it again---> Look at a Sigma <---- The can be found used for around $250. If you don't like the Sigma look into Bersa's line of products.

I'm not saying this to be a snob. I'm saying this because I've been down this road before and wasted a TON of money on a gun from EAA that was supposed to be a good value. It wasn't and I paid double.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    That said, though, some darned good foreign manufacturers are cheap simply because they lack name recognition in the US. I know nothing about this Serbian company, but I wouldn't assume that S&W's quality is better.
    I own two rifles made by Zestava and they are not a top tier manufacturer. The S&W Sigma has a 18(ish) year track record of being a solid pistol made by a reputable American company. There is lots of support for it and things like holsters and extra mags are available and easy to find.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

Zastava review in magazine

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have owned other products by EAA and I can say that they are TERRIBLE to deal with if you have any problems. From doing the homework for you on the gun I can tell you that it has a 10 1/2 lb trigger pull. <---- That STINKS. Most reviews are split. It appears to be reliable for some and crappy for others.

Having had a bad experience once before with EAA I strongly suggest you spend your money elsewhere. As I said above, there are quite a few good guns in the $300 price range. The Sigma is a VERY reliable gun with great ergonomics and can usually be had in the low $300s. The Sigma is also made by Smith and Wesson, not by some fly by night importer (EAA). If you do have a problem or if you need support (like buying a holster to carry it) the S&W will be easy to deal with while the EAA pistol will be a nightmare.

I'll say it again---> Look at a Sigma <---- The can be found used for around $250. If you don't like the Sigma look into Bersa's line of products.

I'm not saying this to be a snob. I'm saying this because I've been down this road before and wasted a TON of money on a gun from EAA that was supposed to be a good value. It wasn't and I paid double.

I own two rifles made by Zestava and they are not a top tier manufacturer. The S&W Sigma has a 18(ish) year track record of being a solid pistol made by a reputable American company. There is lots of support for it and things like holsters and extra mags are available and easy to find.

The August 2013 issue of Gun tests gave the M70A a low rating. The trigger is too heavy at 10.4 lbs. They considered trying to get it down but decided not to. It cannot be carried hammer-down due to their being no half-cock position. Then, with it chambered and the safety on, the safety has to be pushed up, rather than vice-versa. Gun tests also dislikes the magazine disconnect.

All that is a bummer considering it is a thin single-stack, not heavy (the M88 version), and aesthetically appealing (to me, anyway). I guess a 'smith can get the trigger down to 5 lbs or so. I don't know if it has a firing pin block in case something hit the hammer in condition 1. If it doesn't, that's a flaw.

It appears they are now imported by Century Arms. I don't know how that outfit compares to EAA.

The Sigma mentioned above is good for the money. It is bulky, though not heavy. I'm attracted to thin single-stack models. I think the Sigma has an eight pound trigger that has a long pull as well. I think there is an aftermarket kit to lighten the pull, maybe even decrease the travel.

I know the Bersa .380 is good. I don't know anything about the 9mm model.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links