The real truth about 1911s

This is a discussion on The real truth about 1911s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ODs thread Got me thinking http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...out-1911s.html Who does not love a 1911? I personally own 7 of them. So in some of my other reading ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: The real truth about 1911s

The real truth about 1911s

ODs thread Got me thinkingI'd rather read about 1911s

Who does not love a 1911? I personally own 7 of them. So in some of my other reading outside of DC, I know bad Harry....I came across this article that puts our beloved weapon system into perspective IMO..Give it a read..Yes OD this is your fault again... I did not want to muddy your thread sir...

The Real Truth About 1911s | Modern Service Weapons
    GhostMaker, rigel42, OD* and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

great read. I also own several.....but know nothing about 1911's other than the fact that I love shooting them at the range. I am unfortunately, not dedicated enough
    to the platform to trust myself to carry one daily. Maybe some day when I'm not working 70 hours a week and have more time to train.....its always some day.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    great read. I also own several.....but know nothing about 1911's other than the fact that I love shooting them at the range. I am unfortunately, not dedicated enough
    to the platform to trust myself to carry one daily. Maybe some day when I'm not working 70 hours a week and have more time to train.....its always some day.
    I hear you. I have taken a couple of classes with one of mine and at times will carry it. Like the article stated, its a query of 1....

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I technically own two, though some would argue that my Springfield Micro GI.45 (see: avatar) is not really a real 1911, it just looks like one, works like one, shoots like one, and cleans up like one. My other is the Ruger SR1911. I love 'em both, and often carry the GI.45.

That article was a great read.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Whew! Glad I read that, my Colts must be defective, because they run as good as anything I have with very little maintenance, and absolutely no needed work.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Whew! Glad I read that, my Colts must be defective, because they run as good as anything I have with very little maintenance, and absolutely no needed work.
    They mentioned in the article that some would say that....
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    They mentioned in the article that some would say that....
    Everybody has an opinion
    bmcgilvray, OD* and SmokinFool like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Everybody has an opinion
    So very true...

The problem I have with the article, is the title. This is simply not the truth about the design, and uses generalizations including how many different makes and models of the same platform?

While the author does mention that, he only uses the information he wants to for his side of the story. He doesnt mention all the guns that were dicked with by their ignorant owners or the ones that were using cheap china made gun show mags.

Or, cheap guns made out of spec.

It is an article of half truths.
    OD* and SmokinFool like this.

The problem I have with the article, is the title. This is simply not the truth about the design, and uses generalizations including how many different makes and models of the same platform?

While the author does mention that, he only uses the information he wants to for his side of the story. He doesnt mention all the guns that were dicked with by their ignorant owners or the ones that were using cheap china made gun show mags.

Or, cheap guns made out of spec.

It is an article of half truths.
    Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that "glockman" is calling out a 1911 bashing article?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that "glockman" is calling out a 1911 bashing article?
    LoL, Im not really calling it out, I just dont feel that its correct to generalize the platform in such a way as to infer that its not inherently reliable. Thats just simply BS, if you have a quality built gun made to the correct specs and using quality magazines.

A couple of years ago, I did a side by side comparison, and fired 1000 rounds a piece with the Colt and G17. The Colt didnt hiccup once. The thread is here for the searching.
    Simply, this article does not bare witness with my experience.

I find it interesting, actually, that he spends more time in the article talking about his credentials and reasons to listen to him, then he does actually explaining in any kind of depth the 'real truth'.

I find it interesting, actually, that he spends more time in the article talking about his credentials and reasons to listen to him, then he does actually explaining in any kind of depth the 'real truth'.
    Exactly. Very telling. Nothing but generalizations, and makes me wonder how much experience or understanding he really has of the 1911.

But, its always interesting to hear what other people say.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Exactly. Very telling. Nothing but generalizations, and makes me wonder how much experience or understanding he really has of the 1911.

But, its always interesting to hear what other people say.
    And this sentence, makes no sense to me at all.

We ask it to feed ammunition for which it was never designed (high velocity duty ammunition with an open mouth) using a magazine with another round crammed in it.
    Unless your magazine has ran dry, isn't there always another round crammed in it?

So what does he mean that the 1911 was never designed for some ammunition "using a magazine with another round crammed in it"??

And this sentence, makes no sense to me at all.

Unless your magazine has ran dry, isn't there always another round crammed in it?

So what does he mean that the 1911 was never designed for some ammunition "using a magazine with another round crammed in it"??
    Only thing I can think of is a reference to 8 round mags vs 7 rounds. I believe he is just trying to justify his opinion by looking for something to back up his obvious bias.

Bias is good. I have them, but you cant let that stop you from seeing objectively.

The 1911 is not the perfect gun. But what is? Anyone can pick anything apart.

Oh, Semper Fi brother! I just really looked at your avatar.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and Smarshe like this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links