Defensive Carry banner

.22LR Teaching options:

Best Teaching .22LR option?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  357and40 
#1 ·
Teaching my wife how to shoot. She literally has shot a total of five .22LR out of a revolver to get her CCW. Eventually she will carry one of my Glocks, but in order to save money at the very beginning I am thinking of a couple thousand rounds of .22LR. When she is comfortable I will let her shoot some 9mm.

What would you recommend from the options listed or do you know of something better?

#2 ·
Normally, I would recommend a Ruger Mk III or a Buckmark Camper for the newbie looking for a .22lr pistol. BUT, you said she is going to eventually carry a Glock... and it is ALWAYS best to train on the same platform you use (preferably the same exact gun).

#10 ·
+1^

A girl who works for me learned with my lcr 22 and now carries a taurus pt22. She had never shot the Taurus and only carries it because it was given to her by her brother. She finally went out and practiced with it and didn't even realize how the slide worked. Platform is the most important.

#3 ·
any reliable 22 pistol is a great learning platform. M&P 22, SR22, ruger MKIII, browning buckmark, beretta neos..... pick one they are all great

#6 ·
I noticed one of your options is the M&P 15 .22 rifle. Unless she is going to move up to an AR, I would instead recommend a Ruger 10/22. Costs less and is a whole lot of fun to shoot. As for pistols, any of them are decent enough to start out with. I personally would recommend the Ruger MKIII, since it has approximately the same grip angle as a Glock.

#8 ·
I think the .22 revolver is a superior choice over any automatic. It slows the pace, adding a measure of control, and doesn't have a slide slapping back and forth or fling brass which can be a distraction. In other words, less is happening in the hand so that attention may be focused down range.

Reactions: archer51 and Snub44
#9 ·
I generally take brand new CHL shooters straight to 9mm unless they are adamant about carrying a .22. No point, in my mind to train extensively on a platform other than the one which will ultimately be relied upon for the task at hand.

#14 ·
OK, I'm going to lay it all out for you (please don't take offense, this is meant in the spirit of brotherhood). I'm glad you like the M&P. It's a very nice rifle. However, this shouldn't be about what you like. Your original question was about what to use to teach your wife to shoot. Does she want to learn on an AR platform? That is the question you should be answering. This should be about your wife, not you. Juts my .02.

#12 ·
Well, given the oddball there, the S&W 15-22, are you strictly looking for pistols or are rifles an option? If the later then...

I really love my Ruger 10/22. So so my granddaughters (12 and 9). Mine is a custom build but a 10/22 takedown can be had much cheaper than the 15-22 and doesn't look like a scary black gun. (Which may be a sticking point with the wife)

Mine is not a takedown and is a custom build but its a hell of a fun shooter!

A bolt action option is the Savage MkII or the Savage Model 93r17 (.17hmr). These too are very inexpensive and great shooting rifles. Easy, accurate and light. Sub $300 with scope and rings.
Granddaughter's first shot with the 93:

And her reaction after

Yea, its that fun to shoot! The MkII and Model 93 are nearly identical. The MkII is mainly a .22LR and the 93 has a longer receiver to accept the .17HMR and .22WMR rounds. My Model 93 cost $260 at Cabala's with the rings and Bushnel scope.

Another option is a Browning 22 Semi-Auto Long Rifle. They are not cheap though. But if you want something that is quality built, light, and easy shooting, you can't beat it. Here is Vanna(12) shooting mine that I have had for 50 years and it still shoots like a dream!:

And just in case you want some ammo (pun intended!) for your wife to get her to at least try things...bigger things...
Granddaughter (9) shooting a M&P9 9mm

If she can shoot it, so can your wife :)

#13 ·
I'd stick with a pistol, rather than a rifle. And something as close to what she will actually carry eventually as possible. In my case, I am teaching my granddaughters to shoot with a Colt (Walther) 1911 .22, because I carry a Kimber 1911 .45. Now it will be many years before the grandkids are old enough to carry, but the .22 is cheaper to shoot than the .45 but is virtually the same size, feel, etc. Their parents have a Ruger 10/22 and a S&W M&P in 9mm, but my daughter wanted me to teach the grandkids to shoot. When I taught my daughter, many years ago, I had a couple of Ruger Mark IIs that I used, but I no longer own them. Whatever you choose, be sure to make it a "fun" experience for her! Good luck and stay safe.:yup:

#16 ·
Get her training on the same weapon she will carry.

For cheap plinking get a 22 conversion kit for the same weapon she will carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.