single action

This is a discussion on single action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know where this should go so please move if need be. When I was shooting cowboy action a lot I could draw and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: single action

single action

I don't know where this should go so please move if need be.
    When I was shooting cowboy action a lot I could draw and fire and hit what I was looking at in 1.4 seconds consistently from a cross draw with a 5 inch 45 colt.Little bit faster with strong side. I was slow. Some of those guys were fast,really fast.All this was timed with a pact timer. Sometimes I wonder if a single action in the right hands might not be so bad. Lots of down sides of course or the 1911 would have never been invented. Are there any single action shooters out there who would feel comfortable with their hog leg as a carry gun. This is not to be told a million times a glock would be better,just how do you feel about your single action,know what I mean?

2. Remove Ads

I've actually carried my ancient Colt Single Action Army on a few occasions and, in town here, wouldn't feel cheated. I'm no speed demon out of a holster either. The revolver hits where it looks really well out to 15 yards or so and it is like "pointing one's finger." After all, it is a repeating handgun, carried with the same number of rounds as the popular 5-shot snubs. It may be thumbed with good speed. It would hit harder than any snub.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like single actions but I don't think I personally would feel comfortable carrying one. However it sounds like you have enough experience with it to make it work. Why not give it a try and see how it goes?

Nix
    Any gun is better than no gun. I like shooting SA. When I carry a .44 Magnum, I shoot SA.

I think there were Texas Rangers who carried SA Colts on duty into the 60's, if not later. I would not feel grossly disadvantaged or under-armed carrying one, although it wouldn't be my first choice.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would not want to carry my cowboy guns because they have had a lot of work and would be to easy to shoot before intended. But I have carried a single action that was factory before a few days. They do point good.

VIP Member
    Many men have been sent to their maker by a SA in skilled hands. Sometimes just lucky hands. Not much has changed.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The single action revolver is a fine gun, as is the single action 1911.What dictates the type of weapon you should carry is what you are most likely to go up against. I doubt you will find many BGs carrying single action army revolvers. To keep the playing field level and not handicap yourself right from the start, I would be more comfortable with something at least as effective as what the BG is carrying, if not more.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I'd just say carry what you shoot well. If you are confident in your weapon, your confident in you skill with it, Know it's limitations and are able to cope with them you shouldn't feel the need for more.

People get along just fine with revolvers and single actions I see no reason why someone couldn't do the same for a single action revolver. Just make sure you don't stick around in a situation where you need more than six shots because reloading can be problematic for SAA.

I have no issue packing mine on occasion.
    OD* and Dadsnugun like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I know two guys that only carry a single action. I refuse to carry a SAO, but it's personal opinion.
    Something witty

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Would not want to be on the muzzle end of a Colt Peacemaker with a skilled (or even unskilled) man attached to it!

Reminds me of John Wayne film I can't remember the name of where the Duke gets the drop on the bad guy. You can hear all four clicks of the Colt as Duke brings her to full cock. Then he says something like "Ever have one of these things go off in front of ya"?
    "Well, it will scare the hell out of ya!"

Same holds true today I'm sure!

Senior Moderator
    Like anything else if you are "practiced up" you'll be fine.

Our gun club has Thursday night plate shoots. From a standing position with hands held shoulder high the timer would beep, you would draw and fire and shoot at 5 10" diameter steel plates at 15 yards. The last plate was the "stop" plate and an average time was around 3 to 5 seconds from start to finish.

We had a handful of guys that could do it anywhere from 2.5 to 3.

One of our shooters used a stock Colt 45 and he was not outclassed at all. Most of us used Colt Government Models and this guy could hang right there with the semi's.

I got to harassing him about it, and he assured me that if all he had to do was draw and shoot he could do it much faster. I told him to prove it and he did. He could consistently draw and fire in 5-6 tenths of a second basically firing from the hip and hitting a steel B27 target at 5 yards. For a long time me and him would have "quick draw" contests and try to outdo each other. These were stock guns from stock holsters, not the highly modified "speed" holsters.

To this day he conceals a 4 inch barreled Colt .45 Single Action. I do not consider him to be at a disadvantage at all. He is quick and he does not miss.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I carried a first gen Ruger Vaquero, with a custom, leather holster, in many places people don't vacation. The Glock 17 was below it in a tactical thigh rig. No one who had seen me shoot it ever said a thing about it. Those who hadn't almost always questioned it. I was never "faster" with it, but I'm still more accurate with it, at any range, than with any other pistol. It is literally an extension of me. I would not want to concealed carry it, but anytime I'm open carrying that's what I'm wearing.

You CAN fan the first gen models, but I have to be standing about five feet from the broad side of the barn not to miss. It's a skill I never possessed at all.

Distinguished Member
    I carry a SA revolver everyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links