I bought a gun and no one has ever heard about

This is a discussion on I bought a gun and no one has ever heard about within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love to be different,so some kid was selling this ole beater on Facebook for 225 bucks and I had to jump on it Why ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sonnycrocket
  • 2 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: I bought a gun and no one has ever heard about

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar

I love to be different,so some kid was selling this ole beater on Facebook for 225 bucks and I had to jump on it
    Why ? Its all metal,100% heavy steel,the thing weighs 2lbs easy ,DA/SA Trigger ,shoots the 40SW
    Republic Arms I think is the MFG ,RAP 440 is the model and it says made in South Africa

I cant find one on Gunbroker or the internet anywhere and its just plain cool looking...
    Took it to the range yesterday and guess what,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its ran like a champ and is accurate !

Anyone have any experience with this model?

bmcgilvray likes this.

My only concern with purchasing this type of pistol is the availability of magazines and parts. If you can't find any info now then when the mags crap out or you need a firing pin or extractor you essentially have a nice looking paper weight.

However, your only out $225 bucks for the thing. Shoot it till it falls apart in your hands.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    My only concern with purchasing this type of pistol is the availability of magazines and parts. If you can't find any info now then when the mags crap out or you need a firing pin or extractor you essentially have a nice looking paper weight.

However, your only out $225 bucks for the thing. Shoot it till it falls apart in your hands.

15.00 a pop on GB all day long for mags........Astra75 mags are what this thing uses

VIP Member
    I was going to say it looks like the old Astra A-75, which was my first carry gun. I still have it and it pulls night stand duty. It's the only .40 I still own and have kept it for sentimental reasons. If the RAP is indeed a Astra clone it should be reliable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Takes an old gunhand to know them old guns. As soon as I saw it I said Astra A-75 knock off. Almost the same but some minor differences. Now that you know just Google it. The South African gun forums talk about this gun as do some other places. Biggest issue is that the manufacture is long gone so there are no easily obtainable spare parts at a reasonable price.

Your gun is the Rapp 440:

In the late nineties, the South African police issued a requirement for a compact, concealable pistol chambered for 9x19 ammunition. In 1997, the contract for a new police pistol went to the Republic Arms Company, which had developed the RAP-401 pistol, a relatively compact sidearm suitable for concealed carry. Later on, Republic Arms also produced a .40 calibre version of the same pistol, intended for export. This was designated RAP-440. It seems that RAP pistols were influenced by the Spanish Astra A-75. RAP pistols are favored for their reliability and mild recoil; on the other hand, these pistols are somewhat heavy for their pocket size. The RAP-401 is a short-recoil operated, locked-breech pistol of all-steel construction. It uses a modified Browning type locking system, as the barrel engages the slide with a single lug that enters the ejection window. Unlocking is controlled by a cam-shaped lug below the barrel. The trigger is double-action, with an exposed hammer and frame-mounted safety, which also doubles as a decocker. Sights are fixed. Magazines are single-stack; the magazine release button is located at the base of the trigger-guard.
    Last edited by OD*; June 14th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    You must be an "old gunhand."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Takes an old gunhand to know them old guns. As soon as I saw it I said Astra A-75 knock off. Almost the same but some minor differences. Now that you know just Google it. The South African gun forums talk about this gun as do some other places. Biggest issue is that the manufacture is long gone so there are no easily obtainable spare parts at a reasonable price.

Your gun is the Rapp 440:

I am impressed with it and its a tank,really they dont make stuff like this anymore unless you spend a boatload

thx for the assist fellas

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You must be an "old gunhand."
    Well, at least you're half-right.

Decent Googler, too!
    OD* and bmcgilvray like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    I like it!

Almost reminds me of my S&W model 39-2
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Among the Spanish makers, I always liked Astra and Star guns, unlike LLama which gave the impression of being distinctly inferior.

An Astra and a Star both live here.

Heavy steel is always appropriate.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I like it!

Almost reminds me of my S&W model 39-2

I had one of those , i sold it about a year ago,not a bad gun at all but the sights were govt type (no dots)which I hated but I paid 350 for it
    and I got a chance to sell it for 600 so I jumped at the profit..The 39-2 is an excellent gun and its triggers is very good the kind people pay extra for and it was all metal firearm
    I wish S&W still made an all metal 9MM or bring back the newer 5906 on a short run

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Among the Spanish makers, I always liked Astra and Star guns, unlike LLama which gave the impression of being distinctly inferior.

An Astra and a Star both live here.

Heavy steel is always appropriate.
    STAR are really nice pistols,heavy duty all metal guns for dirt cheap... :)

Links