how to buy a gun online

This is a discussion on how to buy a gun online within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ha i'll bet you thought this was a guide on how to purchase a firearm online. But its not. I NEED HELP and some advice. ...

Thread: how to buy a gun online

how to buy a gun online

ha i'll bet you thought this was a guide on how to purchase a firearm online. But its not. I NEED HELP and some advice.
    I'm seriously considering buying a ak from www.classicarms.us/
    I'm guessing that i have to get a form or copy of ffl from my local dealer and send it to them. They will then sell or ship the gun to the dealer and i will pick it up there and fill out the paperwork
    I could ask my dealer and might if i get the chance tomarrow, but this forum is usually faster.
    Never bought online before, let me know.
    Also any thoughts on the web site listed? Seems like good prices
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I'm guessing that i have to get a form or copy of ffl from my local dealer and send it to them. They will then sell or ship the gun to the dealer and i will pick it up there and fill out the paperwork
    That's essentially it.

For me, going from FFL to FFL is the only way I'd purchase a firearm, unless I personally knew the person.

I purchased a couple of pistols earlier in the year from sellers advertising on Gunbroker.com. One was a private individual and one was a shop. I also sold one to an individual. In each case, payment was made, I then made sure the FFL of the receiving party was put into the hands of the sending party, the gun was sent, the 3-day eval started. When purchasing, my FFL on this end calls in for the background check. Works fairly well. Other than that, caveat emptor.

I've heard that, your state laws allowing, non-background-check transfers can be made in private sales without the use of FFL on either end. Others will need to speak to this, as I'm unfamiliar with this method.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Need to get your dealer to send the Copy of his FFL..............he'll never hand a copy over to you, as it's never donethat way, unless you're name is on his FFL........(I'd never give out a signed copy of my FFL when I was in business), so I know how it works.
    When they Fax/send/ and have copies in hand, they'll shipp the Rifle/handgun etc.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

my dealer gave me a copy of his FFL. No problem.
    Everything here is how I know it to work. If you go to www.budsgunshop.com there is a link at the top that says "how to buy guns on the internet" or something like that.

VIP Member
    Macattack, I have not bought anything from Classic Arms, but I have been lusting over several for almost a year. I have checked on several forums to see what kind of reputation they have and each time I have gotten a good report. One thing I like about them is that he tells you everything up front. He gives details about everything he sells. You can't keep doing that and getting good reports unless what you are saying is accurate.

Let us know how the exchange works out.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Awesome thanks for the responses guys. Like i said i forgot to call my dealer but the answers are all here.
    I'll let you guys know what i buy and how everything goes. Probably an ak, maybe a mosin, maybe a 1911 or a makarov. oh yeah and maybe a sks.
    thanks again.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Cool Internet Sales

I have had an FFL (out of my house) for 26 years. I used to sell quite a few guns when I lived in the Houston area and did a lot of gun shows; but business tailed off when I moved here to rural SW Colorado. I still do transfers for local folks and buy for myself and others off Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, Auction Arms, and various Forums.

I have never had a problem of any kind. It is legal to use the USPS for FFL to FFL transfers, and that avoids the high-dollar UPS charge for 1st Day Air which often takes two days or more in and out of my little town.

Some FFL's will ask $50 or more for handling a transfer. I figure part of that is punishment for your not buying the gun from them. Unless it requires an unusual amount of effort or time, I do them for nothing and find it usually brings me future business.

FWIW, I have had two ATF audits in 26 years, both by a woman who started with the ATF just after the GCA of 1968 was passed. Both were thorough, professional, and cordial, even the one under Clinton/Reno when they were trying to drive out little guys like me...and 75% did drop out.

Links