Just a few that are buying all the Guns

This is a discussion on Just a few that are buying all the Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The line they have used over and over is that gun sales are up because a few are buying more and more. Middle aged white ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Just a few that are buying all the Guns

The line they have used over and over is that gun sales are up because a few are buying more and more.
    Middle aged white males cling to their guns. Well it seems the facts do not support the myth.
    First-Time Buyers Bolster Gun Makers, Retailers | Fox Business
    Snub44 and GhostMaker like this.

VIP Member
    I really like to see these active first time gun buyers. They've spent some of their own money, and it means they now have a "dog in the hunt" with the rest of us fighting for our 2A.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Larry Liberal was heard saying "Facts Schmacts". But hey, at least we can still first off two big blasts into the air, ain't that right Joe, hmmmm hmmmm.

intresting enough, but i generally dont put much stock in "News" anymore, personally i have noticed more women at the range, which has an added benifit of making the scenery better and the conversation more lively.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Have been noticing not only more women but also kids(teens) and even older folks. I was just thinking about that last week and how good that was to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Middle aged white males cling to their guns. Well it seems the facts do not support the myth.
    Well, middle-aged white males couldn't be the reason around here....... the number of "female" purchasers have been the highest group buying guns, and women applying for CC licenses set new record highs. I applaud every single one of them.
    blitzburgh, GhostMaker and Snub44 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I am an old white guy and I bought another Colt 1911 yesterday to keep up the stereotype. I am seeing many more women buying guns and shooting which is great.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

In another time I would be very happy to see so many new people buying their first weapon, to see women in the LGS. What cause me to take a deep breath now is why they are doing it.
    I am an old white guy clinging to my guns and the older I get the more I need to cling to.;

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    In another time I would be very happy to see so many new people buying their first weapon, to see women in the LGS. What cause me to take a deep breath now is why they are doing it.
    I am an old white guy clinging to my guns and the older I get the more I need to cling to.;
    I was at Bass Pro recently and there was a young woman (late 20s) in the gun section looking at holsters for a Ruger LCP, I mentioned some of the minimalist holsters (MIC, Raven Concealment) to her since that is what she was looking for. After that I parted my raincoat, pulled out my Glock and made her touch it...oh wait wrong forum...
    SmokinFool likes this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    My wife now owns 3 handguns, has her CHP.
    My daughter owns her first handgun, and is going to take her CHP course.
    Good friends have just picked up their handguns, and will be taking a CHP course.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I was at Bass Pro recently and there was a young woman (late 20s) in the gun section looking at holsters for a Ruger LCP, I mentioned some of the minimalist holsters (MIC, Raven Concealment) to her since that is what she was looking for. After that I parted my raincoat, pulled out my Glock and made her touch it...oh wait wrong forum...
    Wrong dream!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Wrong dream!
    I'm going to need your credit card # if you want to hear the rest...
    SmokinFool likes this.

Almost every time I go to either of my LGSs lately, I hear customers (mostly women) who say they are looking to buy their first handgun for protection. Personally I'm glad to see it. It's good to see people who are finally accepting responsibility for their (and perhaps their family's) safety. If I'm invited into the conversation (I'm not one of "those types" who just jump into any conversation they can find so they can show everybody how "smart" they are), I always add my recommendation for getting proper training with it as soon as possible.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have noticed more older people, both men and women, at the range in the past six months or so and it is quite evident that they are new gun owners. In the past I found myself to be the oldest shooter at the range, now I am one of the younger guys at 75.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Retailers surveyed by the NSSF, a trade association for the firearms industry, reported that 25.8% of their customers were first-time firearm buyers in 2012. That reflects a slight improvement over the prior year’s 25% but a large jump from 20.8% in 2010.

I'm wondering how a given retailer knows that a given person is a "new" person to firearms, or that the person hasn't purchased elsewhere?

Seems to me that only the NICS-check records would be able to create an adequate picture of the percentage of new vs repeat buyers. And even then, that wouldn't include folks making private-sale transactions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links