The idiot and the scratch ...

This is a discussion on The idiot and the scratch ... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The other day I was showing my cousin my Kimber Ultra Carry and without thinking, I allowed him to reassemble it after take down. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The idiot and the scratch ...

The other day I was showing my cousin my Kimber Ultra Carry and without thinking, I allowed him to reassemble it after take down. He of course put an idiot scratch on it. Being this is my EDC, I am not too concerned with wear and tear to the finish as appropriate, but the scratch bugs me.

What are my options to fix the scratch?

Scurries away and hides.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Blue or stainless?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Short of a cerakote job, I think the scratch is a permanent reminder of a temporary lapse in judgement
    bsmith6470, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Its ruined.
    Total loss scenario.
    Send it to me, and I will make sure its properly taken care of. I promise...

It depends on what kind of material was scratched..... I have a Colt LW Commander with an aluminum frame which has a teflon coating. I scratched it and there's no easy way to repair the damage without refinishing the entire frame. Now, if you have a stainless pistol (including frame) you may be able to buff the scratch out..... Since I scratched my Colt I've acquired other, high dollar 1911's..... Now I'm more careful about replacing that pin.... If I were you....I'd just live with it... A carry pistol is going to wear quite a lot as it gets carried.... Afterall, it's a tool and tools show wear.
    bsmith6470 likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Aw shucks, and it's a Kimber
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Aw shucks, and it's a Kimber
    Iseewhatyoudidthere

It's blue. And yes, lesson learned.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

You can either get it refinished somewhere, or live with it.

I do understand that carry weapons will show wear over time. But it would irk the living heck out of me as well if someone else scratched my weapon regardless of if it was a carry piece or not.
    maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member
    You could get it refinished, then take to cost out of your cousins hide. If it is blued, and a small scratch, you might try cold blue on the scratch. Will it be perfect? No, but it will help hide the scratch.
    maxwell97 and varob like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nix
    I got a new Kimber a couple days ago. I noticed that while it had been waiting for me in the display case it started to develop a bit of an idiot scratch. I think I added to it when I got it home and tok it apart a few times. To tell the truth, I think it gives the gun a little bit of a used look, and I like that. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but it's just another one of life's scars. Sometimes scars are interesting. My Browning Hi-Power has a few marks on it and the bluing is worn off on the butt from use. I definitely like that.

Certainly my life's goal is not to get into a coffin with a pristine body.

Administrator
    Buy a small bottle of liquid cold blue. You'll barely notice it once you darken it up.
    I wouldn't let it bother just because it's nicknamed an Idiot Scratch.
    Guns that get used get scratched and dinged all the time.
    Some of my favorite guns are scratched and look kinda worn, beat up and scratched. It's unavoidable.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Legend tells us that, if the proper rituals are invoked, a salve made from the blood of a pig, the skin of a newt, and the bones of the man who scratched it may magically heal the wounded weapon...

But seriously, archer's idea is solid, or you could look at it as an opportunity to get it redone with a finish you prefer to the original. I personally would probably leave it; my philosophy on carry guns is that they're tools first and art a distant second. If you have to use it, it might well get banged around a bit, and you don't want habitual care of the finish to compete with your defensive responses. You might need to get cover and rest your weapon on a rough surface for support, break out a window, struggle to retain the weapon, be ordered to drop the weapon by a responding LEO, etc. Better to have a scratched gun that you don't mind scratching more, than a pristine gun that makes you hesitate in such scenarios.
    bsmith6470, msgt/ret and ws76133 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

You should see my Springfield 1911 A1 that is 15 years old and has thousands and thousands of rounds through it.. I don't call them idiot scratches, they are love marks now.
    OhioCatter and Nix like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Try permanent marker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links