Used Springfield Compact 1911

This is a discussion on Used Springfield Compact 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a used SA Compact .45 1911 for $600. Problem: the thumb safety, when engaged, is loose. As in, it will come right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Used Springfield Compact 1911

Used Springfield Compact 1911

Just picked up a used SA Compact .45 1911 for $600. Problem: the thumb safety, when engaged, is loose. As in, it will come right out. When it is disengaged, it is solid and won't come out. I'm no gunsmith. What is the problem? Great little gun at a great price. I'd like to know what's wrong before I take it to get looked at.
    Attached Images
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

2. Remove Ads

Never had this occur. Sounds like it would most likely be a weak plunger tube spring. This is the best fix I could recommend.

1911 AUTO PLUNGER TUBE SPRING | Brownells
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Problem: the thumb safety, when engaged, is loose. As in, it will come right out.
    Are you pulling on it or does it fall out on it's own? If you're pulling on it and it comes out, no big deal, it is meant to do that, it's how you disassemble a 1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'm also wondering about your complaint. Does it just work its way out with no assistance from you or are you able to pull it out?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I can flip it on it's side, with the safety engaged, and give it a slight...VERY SLIGHT tap...and out it comes. With the safety disengaged, it won't come out, even by pulling on it.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Never had this occur. Sounds like it would most likely be a weak plunger tube spring. This is the best fix I could recommend.

1911 AUTO PLUNGER TUBE SPRING | Brownells
    My thought also since that is the only thing to retain it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    I can flip it on it's side, with the safety engaged, and give it a slight...VERY SLIGHT tap...and out it comes. With the safety disengaged, it won't come out, even by pulling on it.
    Yeah, that ain't right. I would take it to someone competent with the 1911, with the safety engaged there should be enough pressure with the thumb safety's lug fitted against the sear that even without the plunger spring the safety should be snugly held in place. This is how it looks with the thumb safety engaged. You need someone that can properly fit a thumb safety for you.

~ Tiger McKee

Thanks. I just dropped it off at Guns Plus near Bragg. The smith said he'd give me a call later today or tomorrow and let me know what the deal is. I love Colt's and this is my first Springfield. Hope to get it up to snuff soon.

OOOooo... a 1911 suffering from termites!
    OD* and gasmitty like this.

For the record, this Springfield looks to have been driven hard and put away wet. The stainless finish is highly scratched up. The white dots are no longer white. They are only barely discernable from the "black" metal of the sights...which can only be called black in the academic sense. There is a small amount of pitting on the barrel. I know this model is no longer produced by Springfield. I have no idea exactly how old it is. When I get a moment (and remember) I'll call SA and feed them the serial number. Maybe I'll get an answer.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and msgt/ret like this.

I have one made in 1993..Spend a little money and send it to the Springfield Custome shop.and you will have a great carry piece...
    OD* likes this.

I am considering that....assuming the problem with the thumb safety is something easily remedied. Although...I kinda like the way it looks now. I don't have to worry about scratching it! Tha's a big problem for me! LOL! If I get it looking too much like new, that won't be good!

Though the sights definitely need to get changed out...or maybe I'll try that nail polish thing I've read about a few times on this forum.

Update: Just got it back today. Wilson hammer. Check. Wilson ambidexterous thumb safety. Check. That works for me, seeing as how my wife is a lefty. Shoots great! Thanks to Nick at Guns Plus.
    Attached Images

OD*
    Turned out nice.

~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links