Looking for a friendly ear....

This is a discussion on Looking for a friendly ear.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; thx everyone....I was more venting, looking for some people to listen & ease my mind. I wasn't asking for anyone to tell me to run ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Looking for a friendly ear....

thx everyone....I was more venting, looking for some people to listen & ease my mind. I wasn't asking for anyone to tell me to run out andgo all GI Jane on someone. Thx for the help, everyone have a great evening.

Originally Posted by mmfrst1

I need some advice on how to catch someone b4 they hurt my family! Last night was the 3rd time this wk we have been messed with by whoever it is & they finally got in the basement! The didn't mess with us, I'm. Assuming bc my husband was home but he goes back to work 3rd shift 2morrow....I'm terrified!!! I have kids...little kids. I do own a gun but I'm not thrilled about using it....don't get me wrong if they come in threatening my family I will but the thought isn't sitting to well with me!! I'm pretty new to the whole gun thing, I thought about getting a hand gun but with kids I nvr did. Now that this situation is going on we have this shotgun in the house....how effect is this gun goint to be & how good of an aim am I going to have to be IF I ever have to use it?? I Know a hand gun u have to be a pretty good aim and be right on but with this is it different? I totally freaking out over here u have no idea! I'm 5'9" and weigh 1115 soak & wet just to give u an idea of what a fighter I would be:( This has changed my entire life and unless u have been in this situation u have no idea what I'm going thru. Someone plz ease my mind!!!
    added by QKShooter

Have you called the police?

All 3 times...they even tried to lift prints off from my oldest daughters window but they weren't good prints so it got me no where.

Wait a minute. Slow down.

You have an instance of breaking and entering? It appears that no effort to call law enforcement has been made. A call to the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction in your area would be the first thing to do over starting a post here.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have called them 3 times, everytime they come here! Trust me that's the first thing I do. I had 3 cops here just last Sunday and 2 here today

If you think you're in a position that might need a gun, first step is to call the police. Then ask someone to come stay with you for a few days.

Maybe a family member. Next thing to do is get some training on handling home invasions. The more trained you are with a handgun, the better prepared you'll be if you ever need it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You need more immediate assistance than a forum is capable of rendering. Varob's right. Ask for help from family or friends and keep the police well-informed.
    SmokinFool likes this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by mmfrst1 View Post
    I need some advice on how to catch someone b4 they hurt my family! Last night was the 3rd time this wk we have been messed with by whoever it is & they finally got in the basement! The didn't mess with us, I'm. Assuming bc my husband was home but he goes back to work 3rd shift 2morrow....I'm terrified!!! I have kids...little kids. I do own a gun but I'm not thrilled about using it....don't get me wrong if they come in threatening my family I will but the thought isn't sitting to well with me!! I'm pretty new to the whole gun thing, I thought about getting a hand gun but with kids I nvr did. Now that this situation is going on we have this shotgun in the house....how effect is this gun goint to be & how good of an aim am I going to have to be IF I ever have to use it?? I Know a hand gun u have to be a pretty good aim and be right on but with this is it different? I totally freaking out over here u have no idea! I'm 5'9" and weigh 1115 soak & wet just to give u an idea of what a fighter I would be:( This has changed my entire life and unless u have been in this situation u have no idea what I'm going thru. Someone plz ease my mind!!!
    1. You need to figure out how this person is getting into your home, and prevent him from doing so, or at least make it a lot harder. Barriers, lighting, dogs, alarms, all of these are useful in discouraging someone from unauthorized access.

2. No gun is going to be very helpful if you aren't trained in safe handling and aren't proficient in it's use. In fact, a loaded gun can be a liability and a danger to your family if you are ignorant of how to safely store, handle, and use it.

3. A shotgun loaded with buckshot is one of the most decisive weapons you can use. If you hit what you're aiming at, the threat is likely to be "DRT" (Dead Right There). You'd better make darn sure of your target before you pull that trigger, lest you discover that the 'bump in the night' was a drunk, disoriented neighbor's teenager, or even your own husband or child.

Shotgun pellets don't have enough distance to spread at short range, so you still need to be able to hit what you're aiming at, and be proficient in knocking the safety off and chambering the next round (if it's not a semi-auto).

Seems like you really need to get the bottom of this odd situation, before you start shooting though.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Thank u! The first time they got into our garage bc my husbanddidnt lock his truck & they used his garage door opener but they couldn't get into the house. They tried going thru my oldest daughters window bc they left the screens up and the cops dusted for prints (which were everywhere but were smuched, so they were no good).
    The second time I was up all night (2 days later) and they were outside at 4am just throwing things in our shed...jumping on our back deck and kicking what sounded like my car but there were no dents so I'm not sure what that sound was...I called the cops again! They came flying out here bc of what happened just 2 days earlier (they nvr take anything ether) last night I was gone until 130am and my husband and our daughters went grocery shopping & came home around 10 or 1030 ish about the time its just getting dark and had our windows open, not thinking anything would happen durng those hours....but today his cousin and him went into te basement and it was tore up and one of our screens was all jacked up....again nothing was missing!! I'm not sure y these ppl want to be in our house so bad or if there stil in here somewhere waiting for my husband to go back to work tomorrow night but I'm terrified...and yesI called the cops again today but again no god prints! I don't know what to do at this point besides keep everything locked and continue to not sleep at nigh like I have been:(

The culprit couldn't be some furry, four-legged variety, could it?

Are you or your husband having trouble with neighbors or someone in your life?

I can't help but think there's more to this story.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Motion lights, portable security camera's, and a 12 gauge. The cops should be well aware of your situation and stepping up patrols in the area. Something tells me you somehow know this person who's troubling you since you made the immediate leap into "harassment".
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Mrs. HB has it spot on. The shotgun you have, take it to the range and LEARN it. It's a last resort but if you aren't familiar with it the it's just taking up closet space. Have someone look at your house and help with ideas to secure to areas these idiots are getting in. Stay vigilant but don't let these idiots control and dictate your life. Exterior (motion detecting) lighting is a start.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Oh and I didn't tell u there's that box on the side of ur house for cable and what not, well we don't use it we have different cable...whoever is doing this cut the wires in that box & left it open. The cop said that they prolly thought it was an alarm system so they cut the wires! No its not a furry four legged friend they sat in my husbands truck just smoking away...there was ashes all over the place & he doesn't smoke. No we like all of our neighbors and that's the thing they aren't being messed with so I'm thinking its someone we know always.....but who? That's what's driving me crazy who hates us so much thy r trying to hurt us!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links