So few choices locally.

This is a discussion on So few choices locally. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are 3 "gun stores" locally. Bass Pro Shop which says they are so back ordered for guns they can't even order one. Gander Mountain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: So few choices locally.

So few choices locally.

There are 3 "gun stores" locally. Bass Pro Shop which says they are so back ordered for guns they can't even order one. Gander Mountain which seems to have turned into a huge gun store. and a local gun store which has guns in piles behind the counter. I read about and see youtube tests on all of these handguns but can never find any. I am afraid I might have to settle on a first CCW handgun. It seems as if the CCW "type" guns are the hardest to find.

How far am I supposed to drive to find a gun? I drive 30-40 miles one way to go to these 3 gun stores. I guess there seems to be sort of a run on guns lately.

Sort of just venting. Is there an alternative?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    What type of gun are you looking for? I have 4 gun stores within a 20 minute drive and I could call them and see if they have the gun in stock you are looking for. I take it your around Toledo, I am west of Cleveland and have FFF and 3 B&T stores close by. Let me know and I can check for you.

Move to South Dakota! We've got guns up the wazoo!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    If you already know what your looking for, call ahead to see if they have it in stock.If your just browsing to see what might work for you, good luck, there's thousands out there to choose from.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Move to South Dakota! We've got guns up the wazoo!
    Yes...but on South Dakota you have to drive 30-40 miles to go to any store.
    Brad426 and wmhawth like this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Have you considered Gunbroker?
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by b2187101 View Post
    How far am I supposed to drive to find a gun?

Is there an alternative?
    As far as you need to find what you want. If that entails hands-on evaluation, then you need to go to where the guns are. If that means 30+ mile drives, that's what you need to do, of course.

If, however, you know what you want and are prepared to buy sight-unseen, you can find remote shops or other sellers via any number of methods. The GunBroker and other "auction" type sites are one method. Forums and their classifieds are another.

Have occasionally purchased locally, when I can find the gear. Have often purchased remotely, when I can't find what I want locally or even regionally. Seems to work well. But then, I'm not uncomfortable with purchasing sight-unseen, so long as I properly vet the seller and the product ahead of time. (Not so much an issue with NIB items.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am completely unfamiliar with ALL handguns. I'd like to get my hands on one or two just to see if I like them. Handled the Glock 27, didn't care for the grip so much since I have small hands. Would like to see a Walther PPS and a springfield XD-3" sub compact. So basically, I really don't know what I want and need to get my hands on as many types as possible.

VIP Member
    Find a range that rents guns, handle and shoot a lot of them.

It's all personal preference. The perfect gun for you may not be for me.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Find a range that rents guns, handle and shoot a lot of them.

It's all personal preference. The perfect gun for you may not be for me.
    ^^^This^^^

Even if you have to drive a while to find such a place, it would be worth it to have the opportunity to try out several different guns, so you'll know what you want. Once you know what you want, it should be fairly easy to find some place that has it, or will order it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    Yes...but on South Dakota you have to drive 30-40 miles to go to any store.
    Hahaha! Either you've never been to SD or you're referring to the folks in the rural parts. There are five gun stores within a 10 minute drive of my front door. But it's true, if you don't live in one of the ten largest towns you will have drive a ways. But it keeps the riff-raff out!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Watch for gun shows in your area. The prices, or the service, may not be the greatest, but it is an opportunity to at least pick up and handle a lot of different firearms. Once you have handled a few firearms, you will feel more comfortable asking your local people to order something in for you. In fact, you might even find the perfect firearm at the gun show. The biggest disadvantage, in your case, is that you will probably be unable to shoot the gun you like before you buy it.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    30-40 miles is really just down the road. Not everything is 5 minutes away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Hahaha! Either you've never been to SD or you're referring to the folks in the rural parts. There are five gun stores within a 10 minute drive of my front door...
    I thought the only store IN South Dakota was Wall Drug! They sell guns???
    Stoveman and Phaedrus like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd strongly suggest visiting a gun show first if you've experienced very limited variety in firearms at your "local" retailers.

Do a search for "Ohio gun shows" and see what is coming up. You should be able to find hundreds if not thousands of (overpriced) firearms to handle to give you an idea of what you want. Then, either buy one at the show, see if any of your local retailers can order one for you, or go on gunbroker.com and see if you can find one there to purchase and have shipped to a local FFL.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links