Local Gun Store - Buzz Kill

This is a discussion on Local Gun Store - Buzz Kill within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I have had it with my LGS. I have bought two pistols from them and had been buying ammunition. Now they are selling *reloads* ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Local Gun Store - Buzz Kill

Local Gun Store - Buzz Kill

Well I have had it with my LGS. I have bought two pistols from them and had been buying ammunition. Now they are selling *reloads* for 48 cents per round. Then the other day I was drooling over would have been my third pistol purchase from the shop. I had dry fired a Sig P226 about 10 times and the store owner told me to stop dry firing it. He said it was OK to dry fire it 2 or 3 times to feel the trigger, but to stop it.

I smiled, handed the gun back, and walked out to never return. BTW, that trigger was smooth!
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The first time or the tenth? I think I would have asked you to stop also.
    thephanatik and SmokinFool like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If I'm looking at buying a gun from a LGS and want to feel the trigger I always ask first... Usually one dry fire Is enough for me... Just my .02
    rugergunner and SmokinFool like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    10 times? Was he supposed to wait for you to start cracking walnuts with it?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    Well I have had it with my LGS. I have bought two pistols from them and had been buying ammunition. Now they are selling *reloads* for 48 cents per round. Then the other day I was drooling over would have been my third pistol purchase from the shop. I had dry fired a Sig P226 about 10 times and the store owner told me to stop dry firing it. He said it was OK to dry fire it 2 or 3 times to feel the trigger, but to stop it.

I smiled, handed the gun back, and walked out to never return. BTW, that trigger was smooth!
    I don't think the owner was being unreasonable. Customers are picky about new guns, and if they show marks of wear, the won't buy it.

For example, did you ever notice the left side of a hammer on an 1894 Marlin lever action, or a 39A lever action? After a couple of hundred cycles a portion of the blue starts to wear off, and then customers wonder if the new Marlin is actually a used one.

Or how about a revolver? Some customers don't want a turn ring on the cylinder when they buy a new revolver.

Realize the owner probably sees lots of guys "playing" with his inventory. Suddenly he's selling a "new" Sig with 1,000+ dry fires. If anything, you should be appreciative that the owner is minimizing unnecessary handling of his inventory before he sells it to customers.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Sorry, but I think you're the one who's being unreasonable, unless the owner yelled at you or was very disrespectful. I think he has every right to limit your number of dry fires on new merchandise.

It don't take ten times to feel a trigger.
    Shop on line

Ya, I guess you are right.

I agree with the others. If you are going to be a gun guy, you need to learn gun etiquette.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    The weapon was still his , plus its not a big deal . But this did happen to me when i went to a mattress store and fell asleep.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Live and ya learned. Carry on! :)
    glockman10mm likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I would have to throw in with, well everyone else in the thread, and let you know that dry firing it 10 times or more is excessive. I wouldn't do that to my own guns without using snap caps, let alone thinking I could do it to someone else's.

Holy crap - somebody on an online forum actually accepted criticism! THESE ARE THE END TIMES!

In all seriousness, you deserve a round of applause. It takes character to admit that you may have been in error.

SmokinFool and NONAME762 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraun98 View Post
    If I'm looking at buying a gun from a LGS and want to feel the trigger I always ask first... Usually one dry fire Is enough for me... Just my .02
    +1. I agree with you. Ask first, then once, maybe twice...that's it.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Holy crap - somebody on an online forum actually accepted criticism! THESE ARE THE END TIMES!

In all seriousness, you deserve a round of applause. It takes character to admit that you may have been in error.

Now go back and buy that 226. You won't be sorry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links