PistolPay.com - Anyone Using It Yet?

This is a discussion on PistolPay.com - Anyone Using It Yet? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Found PistolPay.com referenced in the NSSF archives and thought it was a great idea. It was created because PayPal will not allow any firearm, accessory, ...

Thread: PistolPay.com - Anyone Using It Yet?

PistolPay.com - Anyone Using It Yet?

Found PistolPay.com referenced in the NSSF archives and thought it was a great idea. It was created because PayPal will not allow any firearm, accessory, or ammo purchases. PayPal may have relaxed a bit on the accessory and ammo purchases but still do not allow firearm purchases.

Basically it accepts the funds for a purchase and verifies those funds but does not pay the seller until the buyer has received the item and ok'd it for what it was he was buying and the number of them.

Seems to be the perfect way to protect both the buyer and the seller. Please check it out and let us know what you think or if you have some experience with it; that would be even better.

PistolPay.com

The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

2. Remove Ads

I can't see where I would want to use it as a buyer or seller. First, the rates seem exhorbitant. Second, it forces a split fee which means the seller is just going to mark up the price anyway. I couldn't really see any benefit to the seller, it gives the buyer the choice to decline insurance but doesn't mandate insurance on returns to the seller. So the seller could get stuck with shipping damage and would not seem able to charge restocking fees for items arbitrarily returned. Just my opinions, I'm sure some would use it.

All good points. If the item was listed on gunbroker.com there would be fees to pay but both the buyer and seller would have some recourse if things went sideways somehow.

The not having insurance on the return is not good though. It might be worth contacting PistolPay to discuss this. My feeling is that it is a small outfit so they are probably interested in hearing how to improve it.

I think this would be a good way to transfer firearms when doing business outside of a brokerage which has protections built into it. Say Armslist for instance. The way it's set up is do business in person but if a sale could be made to anyone using this service so everyone is protected; I see the benefit. Yes, it cost extra to do it this way, but how else can both parties be covered? I get the feeling this is more for a person to person transaction rather than a dealer sale to person so the restocking fees don't really come into play. Most dealers have other protections and accept credit cards. The buyer has the protection of know the dealer is a licensed FFL so is not likely to take their money and leave town.

Obviously when selling a firearm to someone in the same state; it's best to do it in person but some states are so big it isn't always the most cost effective way to do business. Driving 300 miles each way makes the sale or buy; cost prohibitive.

Thank you for bringing up these excellent points. Definitely worth considering.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Haven't heard of it but may be worth a look. I gave up of pay(ripoff)pal over a year ago after they managed to compromise 3 of my credit cards. I won't use them for anything now.

Links