PA Resident, carry to Ohio border.

This is a discussion on PA Resident, carry to Ohio border. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a PA resident with an LTCF. Next Saturday I will be traveling just across the Ohio border. PA does not have reciprocity with Ohio. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredg53

Thread: PA Resident, carry to Ohio border.

I'm a PA resident with an LTCF. Next Saturday I will be traveling just across the Ohio border. PA does not have reciprocity with Ohio. But my travel will consist of about 4 hour drive through PA and about 30 minutes into Ohio. So most of the time spent in the car, or stops along the way to eat will likely be in PA, and I will obviously want to be carrying... kind of like I do everyday.

What do I need to do in Ohio to be within the law? Is simply unloading and locking in the glove box acceptable? It's a shame. I'm willing to bet criminals don't ask these questions...

I need help deciphering page 7. I don't speak "law".

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

What you would sadly have to do is place your weapon in your trunk UNLOADED... I'm fairly sure the Ohio Revised Code has been changed so unloaded means that you just have to separate the mag from the weapon, unless you have a revolver of course in which case you would have to empty the rounds from the cylinder. In the old days you would have had to strip all the rounds from a magazine as well. If you're in a truck, I'd suggest placing the weapon in a case or other such container behind the seat and placing the mag in the glove box. If you still have any reservations though I'd suggest calling the Ohio State Highway Patrol and inquiring about the proper way to approach the issue.

Hope I was a help.

Well, first, I am not a lawyer.

The gun and mag(s) should be in separate containers, and should be in a place that are inaccessible without leaving the vehicle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Stay in PA LOL
    welder516 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, first, I am not a lawyer.

The gun and mag(s) should be in separate containers, and should be in a place that are inaccessible without leaving the vehicle.
    This. Unload the gun and put it in a case in your trunk. The mag can be in a back pack or similar, they just need to be separate.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg53 View Post
    Stay in PA LOL
    I do my best to do this at all costs. It seems every state bordering PA does not honor my LTCF, other than that small portion of West Virginia. And I hardly ever go to Virginia. The state I'm most likely to go in often enough is Maryland. Last time I went to Maryland I just went completely unarmed the entire way. But I rarely leave the state.

But anyway, we're getting a new puppy, a Labradoodle from a breeder in Ohio. We're going out to see him this Saturday and again in mid July when he's ready to pick up.

Thank you for the info. I'll do exactly what has been said. Hopefully if/when we stop to eat, it'll be in PA.

VIP Member
    Stop by Timmy farm on your way. : )
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links