Talking about guns with strangers

This is a discussion on Talking about guns with strangers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You know, trying to be helpful or strike up a conversation with someone at a LGS. We should all have common interests, so what's the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Talking about guns with strangers

You know, trying to be helpful or strike up a conversation with someone at a LGS. We should all have common interests, so what's the harm about talking about guns and gun ownership, right? Well, maybe not.

I'm batting just south of .500 right now. Less than half the people I encounter talk back or even smile.

The other half are... well... "strange" comes to mind. Sometimes even creepy.

Two days ago I was at gander mountain and they had an avalanche of milsurp mosin nagants for sale. A guy was checking out their 7.64 x 54R ammo and I mentioned that they were used by the mosins over there. He shot me an almost murderous look that had me moving the other way immediately.

In the past, I've tried relaying experiences I've had with certain guns only to get shot down by a person's "gun expert" buddy in tow.

And just today I was trying to tell a guy not to get the nylon Blackhawk IWB holsters because of various reasons. He was so fidgety and on edge that I disengaged in fear of him pulling his piece on me.

All this for trying to communicate and be friendly. Yikes.

Anyway this is partly a vent post. Partly too, I'm wondering if most gun folks are just plain weird (outside the DC regulars here). I should probably just mind my own business but I never had such bad luck talking about other topics with like minded individuals before (examples: baseball, fishing, boating, cars, and other things I have interest in). I guess I've gotten so comfortable discussing guns here that I don't realize most normal gun owners may be pretty scary people? I'm not sure!
    sayeedali1 likes this.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met have been at shooting ranges. I generally try to keep to myself at gun shops though.

The weirdest encounter I had was the only negative one I have every had at the range. A guy came with a suppressed Ruger .22, all tricked out with a laser and various other accouterments. I said, "Is that suppressed?" (with a "wow, that's cool, tone of voice). He looked at me like I was snooping in his personal journal (or something equally invasive), didn't say a word back, packed up, and left...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Think its a age thing the older gun guys I have no problem with, seems like some of the younger guys are insecure with their knowledge of guns an tend to back off instead of looking like they are novices

For me, it really all depends on the vibe the crowds giving off whether or not I'll open my mouth about something. Some people at the LGS think anybody who tries to give advice/relay firsthand experiences on any gun or accessory are automatically "Gunshop commandos".

Personally, I'm more than happy to hear out or have a conversation with anybody while there. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything there is to know about the world of weaponry and accessories to just ignore or write somebody off straight off the bat.
    Eagleks and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I tend to mind my own business unless someone solicits my opinion. That strategy has worked for many years, for me anyway.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    The indoor range i go to,the people are nice,and the gun store is also.But,the store,i've been going to for a few years now.One thing,i never do,unless,i'm asked,is suggesting to people what they should or shouldn't get..
    Most people aren't,but,i've been around a couple of people,with egos,as big as they get.They know everything,well they claim.I guess they want attention,or maybe they are insecure,i don't know.So,unless,i'm asked,or,know them personally,i say hi,and move on.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I tend to be rather "chatty". Just this evening, I was at a grocery store buying hot dog buns and the guy behind me in the checkout line has some lactose free milk in his cart. I asked him how he liked it and started a conversation about lactose intolerance. It lasted longer than I had planned, but it was still all good.

The only "gun" conversations I have had since I started CCing were at the ammo counter at Wal Mart and with the people with whom I work. All of those conversations have been at least cordial if not informative. None of the people I work with can carry at or to work because we all work in a Federal Building and the garage is off limits.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I tend to mind my own business unless someone solicits my opinion. That strategy has worked for many years, for me anyway.
    Amen!!!!!
    Mr B likes this.
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    You know, trying to be helpful or strike up a conversation with someone at a LGS. We should all have common interests, so what's the harm about talking about guns and gun ownership, right? Well, maybe not.

I'm batting just south of .500 right now. Less than half the people I encounter talk back or even smile.

Two days ago I was at gander mountain and they had an avalanche of milsurp mosin nagants for sale. A guy was checking out their 7.64 x 54R ammo and I mentioned that they were used by the mosins over there. He shot me an almost murderous look that had me moving the other way immediately.

In the past, I've tried relaying experiences I've had with certain guns only to get shot down by a person's "gun expert" buddy in tow.

And just today I was trying to tell a guy not to get the nylon Blackhawk IWB holsters because of various reasons. He was so fidgety and on edge that I disengaged in fear of him pulling his piece on me.

Anyway this is partly a vent post. Partly too, I'm wondering if most gun folks are just plain weird (outside the DC regulars here). I should probably just mind my own business but I never had such bad luck talking about other topics with like minded individuals before (examples: baseball, fishing, boating, cars, and other things I have interest in). I guess I've gotten so comfortable discussing guns here that I don't realize most normal gun owners may be pretty scary people? I'm not sure!
    Has it occurred to you that perhaps it's you? Had you walked up to me out of the blue as I shopped for ammo and told me it belongs in those guns over there I'd have given you the same look.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants unsolicited advice from someone they don't know.
    Brad426, pittypat21, Mr B and 2 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Why did you post this? What are you up to? Are you talking to me? STOP IT!
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

Maybe they thought you were the "strange" and "creepy" one.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Has it occurred to you that perhaps it's you? Had you walked up to me out of the blue as I shopped for ammo and told me it belongs in those guns over there I'd have given you the same look.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants unsolicited advice from someone they don't know.
    I guess. A bit of it is personality. I do this with all sorts of other things. Not necessarily advice but just using something as a focus of conversation. Maybe it comes across as advice?? I dunno. Like I said. Baseball, cars, whathaveyou and no issues. Always ended up with a good conversation. Maybe guns naturally make a person aggressive?

Distinguished Member
    I think a lot of the people in gun shops and gun/ammo section of box stores are in the newbie to newbi-ish crowd. I can remember being there myself, heck it was just around 2 years ago. I remember just knowing a tad bit about a few little things, and was a little nervous about being seen as a newb who didn't know JACK. I remember being intimidated by the guys who seemed to know it all. Now, thanks a lot to this forum and my obsession with anything firearms related - I know a TON more, and can carry on a conversation with at least a little bit of knowledge about almost anything. And after talking to lots of people at the ranges, I've found most people who are knowledgeable about firearms are GREAT people who are glad to share experiences and converse about most things gun related.

But I still won't start to make convo with people at the gun counter or ammo shelves, they mostly do seem intimidated or just to themselves. Also might be a personal thing- like contemplating purchasing a certain gun, handling it at the counter and trying to make up your mind, then some know -it -all comes up and tells you that gun is crap, his friend has one and it just sucks - that's probably happened to lots of people, turning them off to talking to other strangers about guns.

But I will say, I have definitely noticed the guys who do know a good bit, usually don't say much unless asked.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    The only advice I will give to anyone is if I am in a non LGS gun store (like Gander Mtn)..if I happen to be looking at certain things and others are also, I will offer the fact that a LGS in another town carries the same item at between $75.00 to $125.00 less and they may want to check it out before paying a premium overprice at the big box......usually people thank me....
    atctimmy likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post

But I will say, I have definitely noticed the guys who do know a good bit, usually don't say much unless asked.
    This.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links