Range Scope for 10/22

This is a discussion on Range Scope for 10/22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for an inexpensive scope for my Ruger 10/22. The range I go to.is.only 25yrs, but I could also go to a 100us outdoor range. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zen1300

Thread: Range Scope for 10/22

Range Scope for 10/22

Looking for an inexpensive scope for my Ruger 10/22. The range I go to.is.only 25yrs, but I could also go to a 100us outdoor range.

Looking for something simple that my girlfriend can use. She is new to guns and not fond on them. I'm thinking maybe a red dot my be best.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

What about something like this and at $34.99 it won't break the bank Simmons® .22 Mag Series Riflescope : Cabela's

or a simple red dot for $39.99 Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex Sight : Cabela's

Personally, I'd get a scope. Check you local Walmart too.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I opted for the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 and worked out like a champ.
    Popeye5782 likes this.

Sponsor
    I picked up a Leapers UTG compact Bug Buster for a future air rifle. I went with it because it is parallax adjustable at 3 yds to infinty.

I also have the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x32 on a Daisy .22lr bolt action and have to say that it is well worth the money.

I haven't mounted or used the Leapers yet but it appears to be well made for a cheaper optic.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I recommend the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3-9 x 40mm;it's worked out great on my 10/22.
    Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on the Simmons 22 Mag! The Bushnell Banner is good as well though will be more $$.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Bushnell Trophy worked just fine for her first time shooting...
    uploadfromtaptalk1372001012416.jpg

I have the Bushnell 3-9x40 Banner on my 10/22 and its been a good scope. Most of my shooting is out to 100 yards.

For pure fun shooting, a red dot is hard to beat, especially at 25 yards or closer. If you want to do more precise shooting, especially at longer distances, then i agree with other posters that either the Simmons 22 mag or Bushnell Banner would be good to consider. If you don't get a red dot, then I very highly recommend an adjustable objective. That will allow you to adjust parallax at shorter ranges or go out longer. If you don't get an AO, then short range shooting could be a little more difficult.

Off topic from your original post, but if you haven't already done this with your 10-22, I would highly recommend an aftermarket hammer to reduce trigger pull weight. They're inexpensive and easy to install if you study the disassembly diagrams carefully. You can also go to RimfireCentral.com and read up on how to do this. It's a tremendous improvement and will make your 10-22 even more enjoyable. I modified my hammers myself, reducing pull weight to about 3 lbs., but for a beginner I would recommend the aftermarket drop ins.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    For pure fun shooting, a red dot is hard to beat, especially at 25 yards or closer. If you want to do more precise shooting, especially at longer distances, then i agree with other posters that either the Simmons 22 mag or Bushnell Banner would be good to consider. If you don't get a red dot, then I very highly recommend an adjustable objective. That will allow you to adjust parallax at shorter ranges or go out longer. If you don't get an AO, then short range shooting could be a little more difficult. Off topic from your original post, but if you haven't already done this with your 10-22, I would highly recommend an aftermarket hammer to reduce trigger pull weight. They're inexpensive and easy to install if you study the disassembly diagrams carefully. You can also go to RimfireCentral.com and read up on how to do this. It's a tremendous improvement and will make your 10-22 even more enjoyable. I modified my hammers myself, reducing pull weight to about 3 lbs., but for a beginner I would recommend the aftermarket drop ins.
    Good advice! One additional item I would reccomend is a urethane buffer. They are easy to install, save wear and tear on the reciever, and make it shoot smoother.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'll tell you a little different. If I'm going to go with a cheap version of something I want to get it from an Mfg. who also knows how to make it great. My thinking is that whatever craftsmanship they're using in their really good ones is going to inevitably, over the years, filter down to the lower spectrum of their line. There are not a huge number of Mfg.s where this is the case, but there are a few. Millet is one. They have very good scopes that the military has been using for as long as I've been aware, but also make lower end sporter/civilian models and red dot scopes that are a great value for what you get. I always thought Millet was a crap, bubble-pack scope, till I used some of their middle grade, military scopes. I was surprised. When I found out what they cost I was shocked. I bought a couple of the cheap ones and put them on .22s, and I couldn't be more pleased with them. I have a fancier one on a 10/22 that I also am quite fond of as well.

The first number is the power in X magnification, if there's a dash it's variable. The second number is the size of the objective lens in mm, which determines how much light it can gather.

With a scope you're really paying for light gathering power. A $50 scope is not going to be THAT much different than a $1,200 scope at the same power except in low light conditions. The $100 scope is going to look exactly like the naked eye at range when shooting at dusk and dawn, but the $1,200 scope is going to make it look almost like full daylight 45 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. Then there's parallax and a whole range of other considerations, but that's the basics.

There's not much difference in the lower end scopes, so getting a good deal on it is the main concern, but if you can find a cheap Millet I don't think you'll be disappointed...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I run a cheap bushnell I got years back from Walmart. Don't recall what model, but I'm pretty sure it's 4x magnification.

But it has worked well and simple and good enough for a 10/22. The rings I have for it allow a iron sight co-witness.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    For pure fun shooting, a red dot is hard to beat, especially at 25 yards or closer. If you want to do more precise shooting, especially at longer distances, then i agree with other posters that either the Simmons 22 mag or Bushnell Banner would be good to consider. If you don't get a red dot, then I very highly recommend an adjustable objective. That will allow you to adjust parallax at shorter ranges or go out longer. If you don't get an AO, then short range shooting could be a little more difficult.

Off topic from your original post, but if you haven't already done this with your 10-22, I would highly recommend an aftermarket hammer to reduce trigger pull weight. They're inexpensive and easy to install if you study the disassembly diagrams carefully. You can also go to RimfireCentral.com and read up on how to do this. It's a tremendous improvement and will make your 10-22 even more enjoyable. I modified my hammers myself, reducing pull weight to about 3 lbs., but for a beginner I would recommend the aftermarket drop ins.
    You can also find videos on youtube showing you how to get everything back together.

Links