Gun to Run Squirrels Off My Bird Feeder

This is a discussion on Gun to Run Squirrels Off My Bird Feeder within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a lot of trees in my back yard and try as I might, I cannot keep the squirrels off my bird feeder. I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Gun to Run Squirrels Off My Bird Feeder

VIP Member

I have a lot of trees in my back yard and try as I might, I cannot keep the squirrels off my bird feeder. I have given them their own feeding chair with a corn cob stuck on it - and they use it, but they like the bird seeds too. I want to get something to leave the squirrels with a reminder that the bird feeder is not worth it, but I don't want to kill them.

I am thinking airsoft, but I have no experience with these or know if they are accurate or could kill a squirrel. If airsoft is the right way to go, rifle or pistol? Any recommendations for an accurate airsoft gun? If the gun is all sorts of colorful, that would not be a bad thing either as it may keep the neighbors from calling the cops. I appreciate any info that y'all might have on this issue.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Anything less than lethal is not going to deter them. They are persistent if nothing else and will learn to overcome any obstacle you can put up. They will only learn to run at first sight of you. I suggest a Havaheart trap and transport them far away.
    NONAME762 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glock 19... it's the answer to every "What gun should I use to..." question.

Airsoft won't kill the squirrels. I'd go with that.
    iguanadon, pittypat21 and srings like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    How's your aim with a slingshot?
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Hmm... I would say get something battery powered, rechargeable, and full auto. Even then, I doubt it would keep them away, though. A single shot would probably not thwart them. A low powered BB gun might be better suited for squirrel plinking.

When I was a kid, and the squirrels were getting Grandma's apples off the tree, we would hang a pie pan in the tree and whenever a squirrel got in the tree, we'd ping the pie pan with a BB gun. The noise was enough to scare them off.

They probably came right back as soon as we left, so I doubt it did a lot of long-term good - but it was fun!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I have my feeder on conduit poles with a plastic bell curve attached to the pole. They try to climb the pole and get around the bell curve and slide off. Never had another problem. Nothing lethal necessary. Work with nature, don't kill it.

GeorgiaCarry
    kukla and StripesDude like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Zeebra724 likes this.

AZJD1968 and bigmacque like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    image.jpg

It won't kill em, it will obliderate them!
    msgt/ret, Glock2201 and srings like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post
    I have my feeder on conduit poles with a plastic bell curve attached to the pole. They try to climb the pole and get around the bell curve and slide off. Never had another problem. Nothing lethal necessary. Work with nature, don't kill it.

GeorgiaCarry
    We have a similar set-up. Problem is there is nowhere in the yard that the squirrels cannot launch from a tree and get to the feeder. I don't want to kill them, that was the whole point of this thread. If I wanted to kill them, I have plenty of options for that.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Anything less than lethal is not going to deter them. They are persistent if nothing else and will learn to overcome any obstacle you can put up. They will only learn to run at first sight of you. I suggest a Havaheart trap and transport them far away.
    Key West, or California MIGHT be far enough! The advantage to California is that they would be Feinstein's problem, then.
    bigmacque and MasterGadgets like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Transporting squirrels would become a full time job. There are usually 5 or 6 in the yard at any time and if were to dislocate those, there would be 5-6 more waiting for me when I got back. I like the idea, but I think a reeducation effort would be more fun than a relocation effort. No telling which would be more efficacious.

They do make a metal feeder that closes with the weight of the squirrel, but not that of a bird. Seen it, never used one.

GeorgiaCarry
    bigmacque and pipedream like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    How's your aim with a slingshot?
    Probably not good enough to keep from breaking the feeder tube.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links